Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graphite fishing rod repair
I own a Cabela's brand innercast graphite rod. This is the type of rod where the line runs through the inside of the pole (no guides). One must use a steel leader, that is supplied with the rod, to initially get your line through the rod. Well, I was daydreaming the other night (thinking about fishing Bear Lake) while inserting the steel leader inside of the rod, and managed to get the leader totally inside of the rod (none of the steel leader is visible). I realize it was a stupid thing to do, but now I have to deal with the problem. I have tried tapping the rod tip, hoping that the leader will come back out, but it appears that the rod tip has a ridge on the inside of it, and the steel leader is likely against the side of the rod and catching on it. The openning at the rod tip is also too small to try to insert anything even close to the size of tweezers. I have emailed Cabela's and they have no suggestions and say that it is made by a privat label manufacturer (probably in a foreign country) and so I can't get any guidance from the manufacturer. He also did not know of any other companies that make an innercast rod. It appears to me the only way that I can get the wire out is to heat the tip and hopefully the glue that was used will soften and the tip will come off. The tip is also thread wrapped and the wrap is varnished. I assume that graphite can take more heat than fiberglass, but I could be wrong. Any suggestions from you experts?

Thanks from the gear challenged fisherman,
[signature]

Hi there kentofnsl,

The rod is probably Japanese as we have had those rod for a long, long time. A lot of Japanese tackle manufacturers have English versions of their website. Just click a button and you'll see English! If not, good try anyway.

BUT FIRST.....

tsurikichi's suggestions:

1) Find the manufacturer on the web. Use Google.com as your search engine and start putting in keywords in different combinations like thru rod, unique rods, in-line, etc.

But better yet........

2) Take a coat hanger or something, put a tiny drop of super glue on the very end of the straightened out wire, with a flash light locate the end of your leader, put the end of the hanger against the leader end until it's good and attached, then........ pull out leader. Lots of solvents will release the superglue's grab on your leader.

Lastly, tell your little leader to never ever do that again!

Hope this helps,

tsurikichi
JapanRon
[signature]
Thanks JapanRon you have some great ideas that I can try.
[signature]
hit your hardware store for some baleing wire , it should do the trick , small enough o.d. on it to go thru the tip and stiff enough to tap it back thru .
[signature]

Hi again lonehunter,

The reason I suggested the superglue is because I had a rod like his in Japan. It's what we call an 'in-line' system rod in Japan and Korea and the leader was not made of that stiff of material and the ends of the leader guide piece (only pulls the line thru the rod)could get caught on both the inside of the entry point (near the handle) and the exit point at the tip top. It was a real pain in the neck if you screwed up, especially in the dark!!! Especially if the rod goes out in telescopic sections!

I'm with you, replace that line threader (leader) thingy with some stiffer material that won't scar the inside of the rod or fittings.

It's so cool when everyone's got something to contribute.

JapanRon
[signature]
oh , now i see , that would scratch it up and cause line abrasion . thanks ron . i've never seen a rod like that . would a stiff saltwatter mono line possibly work if the glue dosent ? i know it curles , but if you soke it in hot water and then let it cool down with some tention on it , it should remain kinda strait .
[signature]

Hi lonehunter,

That sounds like it will work. I think my line threader's body was indeed a real heavy mono with nylon end pieces.

Those rods will cost you between $150~$300 in Japan and they have all different lengths. They are so parabolic that you want to laugh. I swear some of those rods have an arc of 270 degrees from handle to tip top!

JapanRon
[signature]
if you havent gotten it out yet I would try a number 4 arberdean hook and streaghten it out and use the barb to snag the threader and you should be able to bring it out.

as for using some thing different to thred your rod with how about trying a led fly tyeing thred. it is soft and stiff enough to go the distance.
[signature]
Hey Kentofnsl,

I bought two of those rods. One spinning and one casting. I did the same thing. After hours of working with the tip of the rod, I tapped the butt on the ground a few times and the leader popped out the tip. Sounds like you've tried a few different things, but I thought I'd throw it in.

Just a tip for you. Don't use superlines and rip-set the hook in cold weather. I did this on the Gorge and found out as the rod exploded into peices in my hands, that graphite gets very brittle in the cold. I'll be more careful with the spinning rod.
[signature]