Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to fishing looking for bass
What lures or bait should I use for bass in CT? Where in the Wallingford area specifically should I look for bass? I live near spring lake in Wallingford CT.
My brother tells me there are large bass in the lake, but I'm willing to travel to find a good fishing spot. I'm going in the morning to the local reservoir.

I've been using unjointed rapalas, a rattle trap, and a mini-king spinner with no luck.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Joe
[signature]
Hi Joe and welcome to the site. I assume your talking about the resavoir on 68? That is a good bass lake from what I'm told. Bass fishing is tough from shore due to the bass moving around from water temp., time of year etc. My last two trips I've gotten my bass with a fatshad type crankbait. They where in 8ft of water stageing there to wait for the water to be around 65 so they will start to spawn in the shallows. They should be bedding down this week or next in shallower water, so it maybe easier to catch them from shore. Look for areas with sandy, gravel, or look for spots on the bottom that are light colored circles about 2-3ft in dia. Senco type worms in watermelon [Green / black flake] fished weightless with a #4 offset hook work well, as does a fluke fished the same way. Click on cabelas to see the lures I'm talking about. Good Luck and keep trying, your not fishing for sunfish anymore.[Wink]
[signature]
I didn't catch anything that morning at North Farms Reservoir, that's the one on 68. You can only fish the south bank from the shore, unless you go onto private property.

Later that day I went to Black Pond in Middlefield/Meriden. It's not far from my house. I didn't catch any fish, but I did lose a $7 x-rap lure on the rocks on the bottom of the pond, I tied it to a tree to come back the next day in shorts to get it, but someone took it before I got there.

I went back to Black Pond today I was told to use a Rebel wee crawfish for trout, I figured at least I could get a good meal out of it, but the wind blew one of my casts over a tree and when I reeled it in it got stuck in the tree. I climbed the tree but I couldn't reach it or shake the branch enough to get it off.

So when the water temperature rises the fish will be in the shallow areas? Will they be "hungry" or will they strike out of agression? I'm asking because I want to know whether I need to try to feed them, or piss them off.
[signature]
Good question, now the bass are getting on their beds. If not this week then the next full moon. They could be stageing off in deep water to get ready to bed. Thats what I found in VT this past week. Black pond was in my back yard growing up. ]Grewup in Middlefield.] Doesn't mean though that some may run the shallows at this time. Problem with bass is you have to figure out what they want that day, so keep some worms handy as well as crankbait or jerkbait. Always look for structure like weeds or rocks that are different on the bottom. There are some big bass in Black pond, so good luck.
[signature]
You may want to try some of our lures, the Cut'r Bugs work good fished Texas style, drop shot or my favorite a split shot about 18 inches above the bait. These are great lures year around!

We are running a deal for a week for BFT members, Buy four bags of any of the Cut'r Bugs or paddle tail worms and get one bag of the same size for FREE [Smile] You get five bags for the price of four. This deal is going to run until May 27th 2007
This deal is for [url "http://www.maniaccustomlures.com/"]http://www.maniaccustomlures.com[/url] Web sales only, no retail locations will honor this deal!
When you put your order in please state your BFT user name in the comment section and the color of the free fifth bag or we will not give you the deal!
Thank You and good luck this season!
James
[signature]
I'll be trying them out this weekend in New York. Looks like champlain instead of Placid. If they work as well as your worms, I'll be in the fish.[cool]
[signature]
this time of year, bass still like things a little slow, so offer them a live leach under a bobber or along the bottom on a single number six eagle claw or a octopus hook.
[signature]
I'll try that, but where do I get live leeches. I assume you mean ribbon leeches not the common ones around here, at least that's what the book I have says to use.
[signature]
I get mine from my local bait shop.

you can get them on line from the breeder in min or wis, If you want I can look it up for ya...

but I would call around before buying a large quanity from a breeder. unless you do a lot of fishing. we use them for walleyes as well.

the ones from the breader dose not draw blood vary quick so if they stick to ya the dont hurt.
[signature]
Can't say I ever heard of anyone useing them around here in CT. But if you try them and they work great let us know. I know I never seen them for sale here.
[signature]
Once you get your Bass, get a picture of it before the release. Then be sure to get that picture on the Bass board. We love pictures from all over.[cool]
[signature]
Like Tuben2 said, make sure and post your first bass!!!! Also, how has the fishing been? Have you had any luck?
[signature]
No luck so far, but I will post a picture when I catch something other than frogs and trees.
[signature]