Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
keeping a log book, how do you do it?
[#000080][size 2]I have never written down what I did or did not do on a give day(i'm a dumbarse). [/size][/#000080]

[#000080][size 2]What do you do or recommend in keeping a fishing log or journal? Please share your wisdom. thx tommy [/size][/#000080]

[#000080][size 2] I'm looking for tips on gps,weather, tempatures, speicies, spelling, and any other important things I left out.[/size][/#000080]

[#000080][size 2]thx again[/size][/#000080]
[signature]
Dude thats what this is right here, One big fishing log book for a ton of guys rather than just your own. All the posts of where a guy fished, what he used and what the conditions were forms a log book for the entire state of utah so you odnt have to fish all the water yourself. So, to answer your question, How do you do it? Just post up your fishing report. Then you can do a search on whatever you are interested in and theres your log. The only downside is it relys on guys willing to post up thier reports. We have a ton of guys who just like to look around but never contribute. I like to call them the "Takers" Its kind of ironic cause they only come for the info but if everyone just looked around and didnt share there would be nothing to look at. So, in order fo the log to work guys have to post thier reports. At least thats the idea anyways. Or you can just buy a log book software and use your own info. Works the same though. You have to contribute to your log for it to have any useable info in it. Then you just do a search and it gives you the best info for the criteria.
[signature]
[purple][size 2]I always thought of it as a statewide fishing club. Hey Pred, where does one find the software at?[/size][/purple]
[signature]
[url "http://www.riverware.net/"]http://www.riverware.net/[/url]

[url "http://www.blsoutdoors.com/"]http://www.blsoutdoors.com/[/url]

[url "http://www.anglersassistant.com/"]http://www.anglersassistant.com/[/url]

[url "http://www.thefishermanslog.com/"]http://www.thefishermanslog.com/[/url]

Heres just a couple. Theres a zillion out there. As for wich one is the best and who makes all the features you would want, I dont know. You just have to look around and see what you like best and what you can afford.

I have the rivercity anglers log on my computer and its pretty good. I figure most of them are the same other than in apperance but you can get some that get way to technical for me. Who takes a water p.h. sample evertime they go out and records it? Stuff like that is for guys who get way too crazy if you ask me. Its just a fish for crying out loud. I dont want to do science expiriments while i am out there.
[cool]Hey, Tommy. You have my email address. If you are interested, I have a simple form (Word doc.) I put together on my computer that I just print out a few pages at a time. There are two trips per page, and I just three hole punch them and then hand write them in after each trip. If you wanted, you could just eliminate the lines and make them computer fill-in and keep an ongoing record, keeping records by different waters, time of year, etc.

Just in case anyone wants to know the type of info I collect, the top line reads DAY (of week)________ DATE_________ FROM____ TO____ HOURS___

Then I continue with WHO (accomplices)_____________ LOCATION(S)_______ AREA(S)_____ WATER CLARITY__________ WATER TEMP_________(Range) WEATHER: SKY______ WIND_____ AIR TEMP______ (Range) GENERAL OBSERVATIONS (Post frontal, boat traffic, angling pressure, hatches, etc.)___ TACKLESadType, rating, line test, etc.)__________ LURES/BAITS________ RESULTS_____________ (Two or three lines...for totals, sizes, released, etc.) I also record depths, when applicable, either under OBSERVATIONS or RESULTS.

Obviously, something like this is customizeable to fit with the type of fishing you do and the info you are able to retain, and what is most meaningful to you. I assure you that several years from now, when you are planning a trip to Deer Creek after iceout, and you review previously successful trips under the same circumstances, you are liable to find something in the past logs that will help you get into action quicker than if you tried to "reinvent the wheel".

Fishing logs also make great reading on those cold nasty midwinter nights when the wind is howling and the snow is piling up outside...ruining the trip you had planned the next day. It will either cheer you up or make you jump off your tackle box.

ADVICE: Keep your log in a protective binder or folder, and leave it on the seat of your vehicle when you head out to go fishing. Fill it in as soon as you get off the water. It is surprising how much of the detail we tune out if we leave it for a "more convenient time". Some guys like to keep a small notebook with them in the boat to make notes and then transfer them to a more formalized log later.

In the final analysis, it matters less what you write, than that you do write something that can be meaningful at a later date.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Tomegun,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Excellent timing on the log book thing. For a couple of months now, I have strongly considered keeping a "Diary" for myself. I've even been out looking for one that I thought would be the right size and durable enough to take the outdoors elements. I've decided to keep my diary right out on the boat with me because by the time I get home, either the story has stretched or I have just plain forgot what all happened that day! I have decided on a cheep note book, slightly larger than a pocket, and I'll keep it in a sandwich bag so that splashing water won't bother it.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]So, once again mind you, I'm not speaking from experience here but I've been thinking a lot about it lately. Here are some things I will consider recording each trip: [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Date[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Location (which body of water)[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Who, if anyone, was with me[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Start and stop times[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Weather conditions and air temp[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Water conditions[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Water temp[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Water depth at marina[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Type of fish targeted[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Techniques or presentations used[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Type and number of fish caught[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Where most were found/caught[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Time of day caught[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Lure(s)/bait used[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Lessons learned (suspicions, obvious things that did or did not work, things I should have done or brought with, etc.)[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Comparisons of my results with other fishers (on-site or on-line)[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Interesting experiences[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Any other tid-bit of information that might be of interest to [#5218ff]ME[/#5218ff].[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Will I do this every trip? Probably not. But then again, I said something similar to that when I started my Garden Diary. It turned out to be a meticulous 2-book reference kept over a three-year period. Many times, me and my family have refereed back to it for many things. It has helped me plan better for things. I hope that my fishing diary will be similarly enjoyed. I know that because fishing patterns often change from year-to-year my diary will only be a generalization for future use. But it will be an interesting reference. I think it will help me provide much better posts to BFT also.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Also, since I now have a digital camera, I will also keep some pictures in my on-board diary.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Please don't hold me too guilty if I turn out to be totally lazy on this one but I do plan to give it a try.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Tomegun, let's compare notes someday!![/size][/font]
[signature]
[#000080][size 1]I asked this question for 2 reasons: 1) Kents Gps post was something I was thinking about and I want to learn more; 2) You hear alot people talking about making logs about their days.[/size][/#000080]

[#000080][size 1]I believe any info will help to some extent. I don't have a problem about getting shutout on a particular day. I just don't want anyone to see it [Wink].[/size][/#000080]
[signature]
This is my third year of keeping a fishing log book and I keep the same info that Tube Dude and Old Coot said. I use a small note book that fits in my pocket but I don't take it with me fishing because, well because I'm fishing and unless I'm not catching I don't have the time, at least most of the time. Tube Dude might have a good idea about putting it in the car, last year I forgot to start my log until it was almost summer. One of these days I should put all this info on my computer. A lot of good info is lost every year by not keeping a log. Utwalleye was the guy that got me started and the information has come in handy more than once. No matter how you keep the info the best thing to do is to get started as soon as possible, good luck. WH2
[signature]
[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]I started keeping a log about two years ago. I was fishing with a good friend and his dad. His dad kept a meticulous log of every fish that we caught. He only wrote the size of fish, color of lure, depth of fish, and the area it was caught. I didn't think that was enough information, but it did prove useful at times. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]

[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]I had heard that fish were sometimes sensitive to atmospheric pressure changes so I included that information in my log when I was fishing on deep lakes. I found that my best success came on high pressure days. So I was able to learn something that I had a question about by keeping a log. I am not the type of person who keeps track of every little thing, but this is something that I was interested in so I kept a record of it. I don't let a low pressure day keep me off of the lake, but I do adjust my fishing a little to increase my odds. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]

[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]I think you should keep a record of what interests you about a fishing trip. If there are specific questions that you ask yourself when you go fishing then you should have answers to those questions in your log. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]

[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]Another thing that you might consider is to add a bit of personality to your log, your kids or grand kids may find your log useful for their fishing after you have gone on to the happy fishing grounds. Your log may give them a way to learn what you were like. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]

[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3] [/size][/#0000a0][/font]
[signature]
I started one last year! I keep the day & date the moon rise and moon phase, where, how long fished, what depths and bait or lures used, and of coarse luck! I also mark locations on map!!
[signature]
Hey P hopper what kind of barometer do use use, is it portable?
WH2
[signature]
[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]I just use online weather stations, and check it before I go. I want to get a portable one eventually, but it isn't at the top of my list right now. I wonder if you can get a GPS with a barometer. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]

[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]I like to find sites that display information for the last couple of days. Here is a link to the site I use for Flaming Gorge. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]

[url "http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/wrhq/GetMetar.cgi?RKS+Public+Riverton"][font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/wrhq/GetMetar.cgi?RKS+Public+Riverton[/size][/#0000a0][/font][/url]

[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]If you have logged data, you can see what the trend is. If the pressure stays the same for three days or so, the fish will turn on again as if the pressure had increased. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]

[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]I haven't found a site like that for Bear Lake yet, do any of you know of a good aviation weather site for the BL or Willard?[/size][/#0000a0][/font]
[signature]
Garmin, Magellan and I think Lowrance do have GPS units with Barometers built in. They are the higher end units, so are a little pricey. I am considering the Garmin 76S to replace my Magellan 315.

Mike (Boatiac)
[signature]
[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]Thanks Mike, the good stuff never is cheap is it. I guess this is where we get our motivation to work. How much does the 76S go for?[/size][/#0000a0][/font]
[signature]
I havent gotten real serious yet about buying but Cabelas has it for $450 and the GPS Store (which someone on this board mentioned) has it for $390. Then you have to buy the Mapping CD which most are selling for $99. I have looked into many of the brands, jeez they can get so confusing.

Mike (Boatiac)
[signature]
Heh heh... the same way you keep that little black book... ya know keeping tacks on certain girls and their traits and well errr... measurements.

Seriously, I've considered keeping a fish black book... just kidding on that one. But in all seriousness, it's a good idea to keep track of the weather, water temp. air temp. wind factors, water smoothness compared to white caps. How many fish caught, and method used.

You keep this book all year long, and then come the following year, you backtrack to see where you were that day a year ago and make comparisons. Keep record of every and all visit, and use it for future references. It will be on paper forever, while the mind cease to remember... joys of aging!
[signature]
If you're looking to keep your log book dry, try a "Rite in the Rain" notebook--they're waterproof. Write in pencil though--water will make ink run.
[signature]
[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]Where can you get those "Rite in the Rain" notebooks? Those would be handy. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]
[signature]