Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2006 Idaho Elk
Here is a couple pics of my 2006 Idaho elk. Public land, DIY. 6 x6 but one side is broken up pretty good. If I remember right there is something like 8 points that are broken, total.

It was my last hike of what had turned into one of the wettest days we had last fall. I made a huge loop through a large brush patch and on my way back to the truck, he stood up with 3 or 4 cows. After I shot him I walked up to where he dropped and I was less than 150 yards from my pickup. Those elk had laid there while I parked, got my stuff on, and had to watch me walk off. Had I not been walking right into them I believe they would have never stood up and I would have never seen them. Amazing what can hide in 6 foot tall sage.

Thanks for looking.

Never posted pics before, hope they show up.
[signature]
Very nice--I hunt up in Medicine Lodge and you can walk right by them in those draws and sagebrush. Sometimes I wish I could hover about 500 ft. off the ground and see what's hiding out there. At least you didn't have to pack him out. Good hunt!
[signature]
Thanks reellady. Its not often you get an "easy" recovery on an elk. I'm sure the next one will be in some hole and have to come out on my back!

I shot a spike a few years ago in the area you hunt. Its nice country up that way.
[signature]
Nice wet bull.[cool]
[signature]
Yeah, the only thing wetter than the bull was my pants. It wasn't supposed to rain....heck its a desert, it's supposed to be dry, so I wore my carharts. No exactly waterproof....Lets just say that just prior to shooting that bull I was looking forward to the truck heater, a hot shower and some food. After shooting, it was get some help, get him out, and since it was quite warm at night, sit up till midnight skinning him out and cutting the hams so he would cool. It was a long night.
[signature]