Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinion on float tube
Okay I have done some research and I think I will go with the caddis navigator 2. One of the main reasons is that I weigh about 260lbs and most of the ones I looked at were alot less than that. Anyone have one that has some good info?

Thanks

bean
[signature]
Hi Bean80,

Welcome to the board.

I had a Nav 2 for awhile. It's an OK tube and will serve you well. Not as well made as some of the Cat types though. The bladders on mine were pretty flimsy. Newer ones could be better. Also, you will sit very low in the water with the sling type seat. I improved this a little by sitting on a PFD cushion laid on the sling. Still sat low, though. The Fish Cats and Fat Cats get you up out of the water. A plus in my opinion.

Someone else might want to chime in about the weight capacity. I weigh 180 so it wasn't a problem with me.

Good luck.

z~
[signature]
Having owned a "sling seat" tube before switching to an "above the water" seat tube -- I am always wondering why people who have the sense in the first place (not me of course [Smile] "fall for" the ole' sling seats? It really is night and day difference....and in most cases not very much more expensive. You can get an ODC420 (rated for 300 pounds) or a Fish Cat 4 (rated for 250 pounds) for about $125 or so -- which of course is about $25-$30 more than you may pay for a sling seat.....

Now I did do the resaerch ahead of time before buying my first "sling seat" and was well aware (from a literary standpoint at least) of the differences -- but I came across a "deal" on a TU Gunnison sling seat for $35 that I could not turn down. It was fun for a season, but I was beating a path to the nearest "seated tube" I could find the next year.
[signature]
I weigh about 260 as well. Have not tried the Caddis, but have been in that type of float tube and had water going in the top of my waders. No a lot, but enough for a wet butt. My advice, spend the little bit extra and get the ODC 420 (my personal ride) or the Fat Cat.

RD
[signature]
I am pushing around 260 myself and float just fine in the Fish Cat 4. I probably sit a little lower in the water than I should but I move around okay and don't seem to have any stability problems.
[signature]
My turn my turn. Yea i agree with what is said above. Any of the V-tubes will keep you a little higher out of the water. In the lower prie range you have the Fishcat 4's and ODC 420 which are great boats. Than if you look you can find the fat cat for about 200.00 (mostly in yellow) and after that you make the jump to the Super Fat Cat, The Prowler and my personal favorite the North Fork Freestyle H3. and these run form about 350-450. My H3 is rated at 500#, I am at 250 now, and actually wanting to reduce that .. some day. Do not take it wrong the Caddis boats are good boats, but I think with the new designs and inovations there are a few better options.

If you look back to the Best of the Best there are some good comparisons as well as links to all the different sites.

here is the link as well [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=322050;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]BEST OF THE BEST[/url]

I am sure TD will chime in here soon if he is not out on the water slaying the fish with some very insightfull info. As I think he ahs used every float tube that has been invented, and some that were not. We need to change his handle to TUBEGOD .. hehe

Majja
[signature]
For the past couple of years have been using the TU Gunnison tube. It was a great deal and served me well. That said this spring I had the chance to get a ODC 420 tube took it. The difference is night and day. Sitting in the water your plowing as you kick in the Gunnison. On top of the water in the V tube I move much eaiser and quicker. I sit higher making it a little eaiser to cast. At 200 lbs you can't even hardly tell I'm in the tube.

For under $200 I think the ODC has the highest weight ratting. A Fat cat or even the H3 would have been nice but just wasn't in the budget yet.
[signature]
Here's another plug for the ODC 420, which I currently sport and I'm pushing 240 lbs. I also started with the sling seat and it only lasted a year. I used the Creek Company Uboat 2000. My wife still uses one of those and loves it. I will still use hers occasionally because the back support is very comfy. The support is good on the ODC also, which is a bit higher than that on the fat cats and fish cats, but not as high as the H3 (I think). Tubedude and Tubebabe have come up with a great way to increase support with a [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=14190;"]PVC backrest[/url] extension which I think I'm gonna try out.

Anyway, the ODC is a great tube (as long as it doesn't pop like Majja's did, but his is the only I've heard of that has done so). I think it's worth spending a little extra for at first, so you don't have to go through the process of selling and upgrading later. Like others have said, check the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=322050;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;"]best of the best board[/url] for details and comparisons on a variety of different tubes. You'll be glad you did--there's a TON of great info there. Be sure to let us know what you finally decide on.

Good luck!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you found your way over to the dark side. You have been given some good input. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will echo what has been said. The Navigator will get you afloat and will let you learn all you need to know about float tubing...for a reasonable price. However, if you decide you want to get serious...and have a few extra dollars to invest...you will enjoy fishing/tubing SO MUCH MORE if you upgrade to one of the other V tubes that has been recommended. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You didn't say whether or not you are limited in the amount of funds you can spend at this time. If you are, then it is okay to cut corners a little until you are really sure that this is the way you want to fish from now on...or at least a larger percentage of the time. Later on, when you win the lottery, you can often peddle off your lower priced starter kit for most of what you paid for it, and reinvest in something more substantial.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are a lot of us tubers and tooners on the Utah Board. Try to invite yourself along on a couple of our meetups and get a chance to look at and try out some of the different models we are using these days. That is the best way to turn words into personal reality. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is difficult to describe the taste of salt...to someone who has never tasted salt...without using the word "salty".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for all the opinions, I think I will spend the xtra bucks on the odc420. I was looking to spend no more the 150, I found it for about that much online with 10 shipping. I will try the local stores and see if they are about the same price. I am glad someone did mention about getting water in their waders, that was also a problem for me on my first trip. I would like to sit out of the water a tad more, so I think this one will work great. Well, off to a local fishery for some fishin. Talk to all ya soon.

bean
[signature]
I have a caddis nevada and a fish cat four. i like them both fine. the caddis has bigger pockets than the fish cat. In the hot weather I prefer it. sitting lower in the water helps keep me cool. more often than not though I use the fish cat four. theres a section behind the seat for a little storage, and the inflation valves are much better. If given the chance to do it again, i'd buy the odc 420. bigger pockets.
[signature]
Good idea! I think you'll enjoy it soooo much more!
[signature]
That is an exelent choice you will be very happy with it.
[signature]