Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EC fun
Took the gals out for a late after noon recon trip to check out the rumor about the bass. We were pleased to find the smallies there fat and feeding.
[inline Photo0021.jpg]

always enjoy a few hours of catching and letting them go.
[signature]
That's great i'am glad to see someone catch something. Nice smallie
[signature]
Glad to see you guys made it out today, what was the hot lure/bait?
[signature]
OK, need more info[Smile]. Shoot me pm or fill us all in on the hot bait, where, what, etc. I've never fished EC before. Is it worth going up there to chase the smallies? Obviously they're in there. What's the boat ramp like? Do they have camp spots?
[signature]
The lake is spilling over the top. Its full, so there is lots of habitat for the spineyrays to spawn in. G yamamoto curly tail grubs. They were fussy too. Would only take smoke with red flake. I tried some crank baits and other plastic patterns with no luck. Bass are fickle fish. They wouldnt touch the grub on a texas rig. Had to be on a jig head. That made for a lot of snagging in that flooded brush. Nice to have a bass lake close to home.
[signature]
Wow, sounds like they were tough to catch, were there any willing trout in the mix?
[signature]
Didnt target trout. Lots of fish on the sonar off the points. Suspended at 20 ft or so. I bet there are some crappies around too. The wind was up so it made it difficlult to try the main lake. The other fisherman were catching trout. Appeared mostly the put and take size. I heard someone caught a nice german brown last week. Kenz wanted to go out and I figured Pineview would be crowded. Paid off as EC had light boat traffic. Mostly fishing. Tried to trap some crawdads but didnt get any. Need to tune up on catching some of them.
[signature]
Glad to hear someone was having luck out there. I was in my float tube at the inlet (southern side) from about 4-7 and fished everything (I thought)! Had my fly rod and was throwing out all kinds of flies and streamers, no luck. Then, with my spinning rod, I threw out jigs, crank baits, spoons of all sorts. I tried chartruse, black/white, white and black/green jigs with a jighead and even some tipped with worms to no avail.

Guess, I'll have to try again in a different area or different techniques/colors, sized, etc...

Thanks for giving me hope for that lake!
[signature]
I used to fly fish and caught lots of smallies on leach patterns in cinnamon, black, halloween and red. Just throw some thin 8 pound P-line on the end of sinking line. They will grab it right near the bottom. Make you forget about trout. It calmed down at sunset and there were lots of trout rolling in the coves around the state park. By the way the upgraded park sure looks nice. I need to break out my fly stuff but I need to find a place to put it on my boat.[crazy]
[signature]
[cool]well I bought a parks pass today, spent another 100 bucks on smallie gear and am tying some leach pattern flies tonight and plan to hit EC hard after work tomorrow. I will redeem myself (maybe not by tomorrow, buty by the end of the summer I'll be getting me some nice smallies! I really got into some nice large mouths in CO in a great spot over my five years on the front range. Now want to get into and get fairly proficient w/ the smallies! Summer goal #1![cool]
[signature]