Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay North Marina Cleanup Report
[cool][#0000ff]Well, in spite of windy weather and road closures (I-15 in Ogden) we had a few stalwarts show up at the north marina of Willard Bay to help cleanup the beaches. On behalf of the park staff, thanks to all who made it and detrashed the fun zone.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe and I found AFDan52 already there a bit before the appointed 8 AM starting time. He brung some killer fresh salsa and chips that were enjoyed by all at the later gathering. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TannersGrampa and young Tanner were there soon after, but towing a boat with burned out bearings. Bummer. They had someone along who took care of the repairs while they gathered garbage. Oh yeah, they also brung some great cookies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]MGB and Hellsangler69 had been fishing, but pulled the boat and trailer up into the parking lot to join in the "treasure hunt". Gshorthair came in soon after, bringing some chocolate peanut butter cake. I gained two pounds just looking at it through the container.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Oh yeah, a special welcome and thanks to Ron Williams, who showed up from the announcement I posted on the DWR board. Nice guy and a real trash scrounger. We put the moves on him to join our motley group. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]We met with the ranger truck in the marina parking lot and they handed off a couple of rolls of plastic bags. Wimpy bags. Between the wind and the flimsy bags we had a tough time getting more than a half bag of trash before the seams came apart. Lucky I had also brought along some heavy duty contractor plastic bags. I think we each accounted for at least two bags of miscellaneous garbage.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]In addition to the usual assortment of cans, plastic bottles and glass containers, we did score some unusual items too. Gshorthair got the trash trophy for his "fork horn"...a boat cleat that had been torn off someone's craft. Probably not a float tuber.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I personally found a few interesting items. Started off with a couple of pairs of underdrawers...one clean and one NOT. Neither my size. Also found an encrusted cheap watch...took a licking and definitely not ticking. The real prize was a pretty purple sand bucket and a couple of little scoops. It was tough prying it out that widdle kid's hands though. (joke, dang it)[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I never sneeze to be demazed by how trashy some folks are. Many of the covered picnic areas were littered with bottles and cans from recent "gatherings". I long ago quit asking myself WHY people don't pick up their own trash. Don't accept it but just deal with it.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]After all the fun was over, we convened at the Eagle Beach Pavilion, which had been reserved for us by the park. Good we got there early. We still had a tough time holding it from the invasion of "locals"...with their ten thousand kids and ten thousand decible car stereos trying to drive us off.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]The wind was blowing in straight off the lake, so I propped up a card table to block the breeze from my propane burner on my fish fryer. Worked great. Got the oil up to cooking temp fast and cranked out three quick batches of kittie krispies for the hard working crew. They also dove into the two pans of cornbread that TubeBabe whupped up this morning. Cooked up a lot of fish but didn't have much left over. I guess the sea gulls musta got it.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Thanks again everybody for your help. No money and no prizes but I'm sure we were appreciated. Maybe we can all get free annual passes next year. Yeah, right.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I gota tell you Pat,[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I enjoy your garbage gathering report as much as I do your fishing reports. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Wish I could have been there, those Kitty Krispies sound better every time that I hear about them.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]A look at the north marina camera earlier today gave me the impression that there would be no "quiet water" fishing today.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I thought we would have a bigger turn out but I think we made an impact on the beaches and picnic areas today. In the Pelican Bay area I filled up two barbage bags plus another one when I was walking back from pelican beach to the eagle pavillion plus HA69 and Gshorthair got their fair share of trash in this area.

Thanks for the kittey krispies TubeDude and TubeBabe they where delicious. Gshorthair and the Tanner's, thanks for the chips & salsa and deserts. All that great food helped me and HA69 stick it out for another 4 and a half hours on the water so we could go out and catch a few wipers and walleys. Turned out to be some good catching from 12:30 - 5:00. We where still hooken up but had to tow a boat back to the marina so we called it a day.
[signature]
I tell you what , those kitty krispies were great . Thanks for the chow and the company . It was nice to get out and fish for a change and actually catch something . Here is a photo show of a few fish we caught . [url "http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/Gc4qF9ud"]Click Here[/url] I just had to try something different for the pics . [cool]
[signature]
That photo show is pretty cool.

Bodine
[signature]
I was glad to help out today with the clean-up at Willard Bay. It was good to hook up with all of you that showed up today, I too thought that there would have been a few more folks there. TubeDude and TubeBabe,Thank you for the Kitty Krispies, and thaks to everyone else that contributed to the lunch it was very good.
Thanks again to everyone that helped out today.

AFdan52
[signature]
[angelic]I just knew that I should have hitched a ride out on the water with you guys! But, the fact that TD made me leave my fishing rods at home and the walk home would have been a REALLY LONG one ... I'll have to try for another trip up there next week!

We had a good time ... always enjoy meeting with and getting to know new BFTers. Thanks for the support and the goodies that were contributed to make for a good lunch!
[signature]
I and the park want to thank all of you for your hard work. Sorry about the flimsy bags. I enjoyed reading about some of the stuff that you guys and gals picked up. As with tube dude it never surprises me at what people leave behind. Look at it this way at least you didn't get so lucky as to find any used profalactics.

Once again thank you all so much and I am just sorry I didn't make it down there.

Jeff
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, Bro, I tried to be delicate and to remain in "family mode" here. We not only found those "unmentionables"...but a few other items of questionable reportability.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What kinda place you runnin' up there?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We did NOT find any buried treasure or large numbers of high denomination currency. Neither did we find Jimmy Hoffa...or any other dead bodies (unless you count dead carp and seagulls).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After the main "gathering", TubeBabe and I took our new metal detectors out onto the freshly turned beach sand, to look for coins. We got frequent "hits" but scooped up only bottle tops and pop tops...with a few other stray bits of "mystery metal". [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Too bad you missed out on the fish fry. I brought extra fillets for you and the staff but nobody showed up. And, the lady at the booth declined the leftover cooked stuff when we stopped on the way out. You gotta train those folks better. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Tanner and I want to thank TubeDude and TubeBabe for the great kittie krispies and corn bread. A real treat! The cake was great and I came away much heaveir than wen we got there. Tanner loved the kittie krispies so much he had to go back for more. We also found a few unmentionables, but didn't want to see how dirty they were. It was good to meet AFDan52.MGB, helsangler69, and Ron Williams. Good to put faces on the names who's posts we read. My son, Scott, who went after the needed parts and tools so we could repair the trailer. was too shy to come up & have lunch with us,because he said he didn't help clean up.[unsure] After lunch we went out fishing, but we didn't do any good. So this morning, Scott and I went up to Deer Creek (Tanner can't fish on Sun.) We felt guilty not having him there, because we caught more than enough fish to get even with Willard, and wipe the skunk out of th boat. Took a few home to cook and eat and let the rest go.

gs
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Once again, we THANK YOU for all the help in cleaning up. TubeBabe and I especially thank you for the cookies. You left 'em so we got 'em. Yum.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sorry Scott didn't join us. He would have been welcome. Glad you guys got into some fish at Deer Creek, after Willard treated you bad.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I was thinking about going to the "Gathering of trash" event but you picked the weekend we were doing our annual "Gorge trip". Sounds like you guys did good though, thanks for all your hard work guys.
[signature]
Hey Pat it is always good to get together with a group of people from this board. I enjoyed the company and the food as well as the stories of past days on the water. We also helped make the area look alot nicer. Thanks for all you do. gshorthair
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for helping, but CURSE YOU for bringing that calorific cake. I definitely didn't bend over enough while picking up trash to work off that cake.[/#0000ff]
[signature]