Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "W" report (Willard, Wipers and Walleyes!)
Well, I broke my own promise to myself today. I promised myself I would NEVER fish Willard again until June 1st or later each year. I'm glad I broke that promise!
Earlier this year, I helped a few scouts do all the requirements for their fishing merit badges, and then told them that I would try to take them out later in the year to catch their 2 species of fish to complete the requirements.
I hadn't planned on going fishing at all today, but I spent all last night welding spring perches and putting new springs and axles on my boat trailer (See my Pelican Lake report 2 weeks ago...) and besides that it was too good of a day to not go fishing. So I loaded the boat up and asked my daughter if she wanted to go. "Sorry dad, I've got plans..." (She's 10 years old!) So I went over to the neighbors house and asked Braxton (One of the scouts I helped with the merit badges...) if he wanted to go and maybe luck into a couple of species of fish to fishing off his merit badge. He of course, was good to go.
The boat trailer new springs and axles worked out nicely, and we launched from the south marina around 5:00 p.m. I couldn't believe how LOW and how WARM the water is there! 78 degrees in the Marina, 72 in the main lake. I'll bet the lake is about 12 feet down from normal right now. We trolled from the marina, towards the island, out to the light pole, around the south dike, etc. and ended up with 2 nice Wipers and 2 nice Walleyes! First time ever for each species for Braxton. We each caught one each, so he got his 2 species, and then we filleted them afterwards while the mosquitoes ate us! (He had to clean/fillet a fish also).
It was a beautiful day on the pond, with zero wind (I'll bet a lot of you thought that WIND was one of the W words in my report!) and glassy conditions.
See attached pics. We each get fish dinner tomorrow!

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Nice report. Looks like you had a great time. [cool]
[signature]
[angelic]Great that you had such a good day on the water! While we were doing the trash clean-up earlier in the day, the W was so intense at times that it was hard to hang onto the bags!
[signature]
Nice report NETO, I'm glad you got a chance to get out and catch some fish. Do they finally have the fish cleaning station open at the South marina? WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Wink]Great on you[laugh] What was you using and what was the speed of your trolling, I am going out there 05/21/07 at 5:00 pm if the weather permits, and I will post the sucess or Not[shocked][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The fish cleaning station at the south marina was open last Thursday, but there was no power to the electrical outlet for using electric knives. Hopefully that has been fixed. I had my battery operated electric along so we still managed.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yes, the fish cleaning station at the South Marina is open. We used it. Take some mosquito repellent...
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
PM sent...
[signature]
Thanks for the info Pat, it sure took them a long time but I'm glad it is finally open. Hopefully the power will be on soon.
[signature]