Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lindon
Im a newbie to the website and want to thank you guys and gals for your reports. I fished Lindon Boat Harbor for the first time on Saturday (yeah I know Saturday is not the best time down there). I tied on crappie rigs and headed out on my inflatable pontoon. I soon realized that either my bait set up was wrong or the crappie had not yet came in. So I switched to rapalas and started trolling, nothing for over 3 hours effort! And to make matters worse guys on the bank where reeling up fish! Being a smart guy with limited time (wife likes to hike and two kids under 2) for fishing I meekly come to you for advise.

My questions are as follows:

What is the best crappie rig for utah lake (lure, bobber, tip bait, where etc)?
What is the best white bass bait?
Where is the best place to fish around the harbor (east, west etc)
When is the best time to target walleyes and where and with what?
What is the best bait and set up for channel kitties (floating, bottom)?

I thank you in advance for helping a follow fisherman out. I am a realitive new comer to Utah and would welcome some fishing buddies[Smile]
[signature]
Welcome to the site. I am not much of a Utah lake guy yet as I have some fascination with catching trout over other species that I can't figure out. I am slowly becoming more well-rounded due to the better taste of other species. I have caught white bass, walleye, a LMB and several cats from UL but I wouldn't take any advice that I could offer as most of it is luck or good timing. If you ever need fishing buddies for a trip just post when and where and I'm sure you'll find some. This is the greatest site so hope you enjoy.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sorry. There is no hard and fast advice anyone can give that will work every time you are down there. that place can change from day to day...and hour to hour. Sometimes the fish are in...and biting. Other times they move out and nobody can buy a bite. As a rule, you will find more crappies and bluegills around the edges or under the docks. Fishing out away from the edges with crappie jigs is usually not too productive, unless you find a wandering school of white bass.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The same goes for trolling lures out in the open. Most walleyes, largemouth and other predators are going to be near the shoreline, where their food (small white bass, crappies and bluegills) is hanging out. Find the grocery store and you will find the fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When the fish are in and active, it sometimes doesn't matter much what you fish, as long as you fish it where the fish are. But, when they are sparse and picky, the size and color of your jigs can make a big difference. You should always have small jigs in chartreuse and in white or silver. Hard to go wrong with those basics. Take some crawler or pieces of minnow to sweeten the jigs with. Small meal worms or other bitty baits can work too...like maggots.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are fishing away from the bank, in a tube, toon or raft, you are handicapped without sonar. 90 percent of the fish will be in 10 percent of the water and you can't catch them where they ain't. Sonar helps eliminate "empty" water, even if it doesn't make the fish open their mouths when you find them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When there is a lot of boat traffic on a busy weekend, you are not likely to do too well on catfish or walleyes inside the harbor. They boogie outside when it gets noisy. Look for them either north or south of the harbor, in deeper water. Drag a crawler, minnow or piece of carp meat around on the bottom, or hang it about 3-4 feet below a bobber and fish near the brush and reeds that line the lakeshore.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most folks who catch fish at Lindon have some experience and usually learned the best spots and baits/lures from someone else who had already learned the secrets. it is possible to just walk up and score some fish on any given trip, but it helps to learn the harbor, the depths and structure, and how the fish act under different conditions. Don't give up. Pay attention to what you see and hear, and practice different techniques until you get it figured out. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some specific answers: Best crappie rig...small jig under a bobber...with or without a bit of bait. The key is small and slow. They do not like big lures or a lot of action. When they hit it will usually be very light...sometimes the bobber just twitches and does not go under. Keep moving and changing the depth of your jig under the bobber until you find the fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Best white bass bait...again, small jigs with bait. However, you will usually do better casting and retrieving for white bass, working from the bottom up through middepth. Use twisters or other active plastics. Small spinners can also be deadly. White or silver are usually good, but chartreuse and hot pink can be good colors too. Once you find an active school you won't have to worry about color or finesse. They eat anything.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Best place to fish...on most days, you will catch more crappies, bluegill and even white bass by fishing along the east or north sides, near shore. But, on some days the fish will be more along the southwest or west sides. There is no way to know in advance where they are. You need to look for them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About the only time you can do well on walleyes inside the harbor is when there is little boat traffic...and just before dark or right at daybreak. They do come inside to feed on the small fish, but go back out when it gets busy. Cast 3" plastics along the shoreline...white, chartreuse, black and chartreuse or firetiger are all good colors. They will also hit lipless crankbaits (RatLTraps), Rapalas or spinners if you fish them in the right zone. You can also catch them on nightcrawlers or minnows...if you can keep off the mud cats or white bass. Some guys do well by fishing after dark, right on the launch ramps. For some reason they seem to attract fish. Right now and for the next month or so is probably about the best time to catch a few walleyes. They are in post spawn and are actively feeding. They can be tough.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Catfish are either inside or they are not. Like the walleyes they are more likely to come inside after dark, when the harbor is quiet. I have caught quite a few cats inside while dragging bait or casting lures on my way out early in the morning. And, I know of some BIG cats that have been taken inside while night fishing. If you find them inside, they will hit crawlers, minnows, carp meat or white bass meat. All are good for cats wherever you can find them. However, the bigger cats seem to prefer "meat" rather than worms. You can catch them either out away from the shore or under a bobber floating close to the bank. Often the smaller mud cats (black bullheads) will keep you busy even when the channels are not cooperating.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope that helps. Watch the board for "regulars" who fish Lindon often and send a PM to see if you can get yourself invited along. Or, post up your own plans and see if you can get someone else to rideshare or at least "hook up" on the lake for some show and tell. The worst that can happen is to get some good intel from someone who knows the lake better. There is never a guarantee that you will load up on even a "guided" trip. A lot of us hit Lindon with the understanding that it can go either way...good or bad. We appreciate the good trips but know that there are a lot of factors than can make for a slow day too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It's all good.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
thanks tubedude for the info[Smile]
[signature]
And there you have it... the gospel according to Tubedude. [Wink] Bountyhunter, cash that check because what you were just told is MONEY!! LOL. [cool] Seriously, the Dude can hook you up with info on pretty much every part of that lake. I've never fished Lindon but if I were to go, I'd follow his instructions and thats about as close as you're going to come to a guarantee of what will put you on fish. Good luck next time you go.
[signature]
Everything TubeDude said is right. With the cold weather this may not hold true this week but for the last couple of weeks the Crappie have been holding close to the banks of the harbor both in and out.

My little group of kids in the Orem's fishing club was out fishing the groups of adults around them. Simple reason was they couldn't cast as far and were working their jigs in slower. Most of the Crappie were within ten feet of the shore. A few White Bass and Bluegill thrown in now and again to keep them guessing. They were using small jigs tipped with worms.
[signature]
I was out there today, in 3hrs didn't catch nothing. nobody was catching anything neither....and finally i found where they're hiding at..landed 14 crappie and 2 bluegill..so i'm thinking after i drop the kids off to school i'm gonna head up there again for a few hours.I mind as well take advantage when the crappie are biting.
[signature]