Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merc. Black Max problem
I have a 1990 mercury 175 HP black max and my low oil beeper continues to beep even though it has oil in both reservoirs. I changed the cap on the reservoir over the motor last year. The float on the cap appears to work properly.....I have disconnected the wires from the cap and it still beeps....I know that inside the cap is a reostat....Does anyone know how this works?
[signature]
You know, I have the same problem with my 1990 175 Black Max. But I've noticed that mine beeps intermittently (like last time I was at Pineview, the water was pretty rough and every time I would hit a wave, the beeping would start, then stop the next wave). I've talked to a couple of people at work with boat experience and they have told me to check the wiring at the junction. Their should be a wire junction back by your batt. and oil storage compartment where the wires split to the oil reservior and up to the thermostat on the engine (that beeping, at least on my skeeter, only happens with low oil or overheating). It could be any number of things that cause this. Corroded wires, bad rheostat on the oil reservior, bad thermostat, or corrosion any where in-between! I still haven't taken the time to trouble shoot mine, but when I do I will post the results.

You could also ask around these boating forums: [url "http://forums.iboats.com/index.php"]http://forums.iboats.com/index.php[/url]

There are several make/model specific threads there to search too.

Let me know if you figure anything out on yours man, might be real helpful!!

Thanks
djole
[signature]
Sorry I was slow on the reply......I've been out of town......I decided the only way to cure the probem is to take out the oil pump and the oil tanks, and burn 50 to 1 gas mixture.......There is a replacement part that eliminates the oil pump, that I have on order, and you can disconnect the warning horn wires without eliminating the overheat warning.......I've had a gutful of problems with the oil pump system.........I've talked to people who use 50 to 1 without it, and they seem to get along just fine.
[signature]
What kind of boat is your Black Max on? How big is your gas tank? I've had some oil injected 4-wheelers where I've removed the injection system and went with the shake and bake, but I thought mixing 20 gallons of fuel didn't sound fun. Are you mixing in the tank itself or in a portable before you fill the boat?

What do you think about cutting the warning beeper wires while leaving everything else intact? I'm not sure, so I'd have to research it a bit more, but wont the engine kill if it runs out of oil? (absent me making sure there is oil is the reservoir) I've been told that there is an emergency shut-off that will kill the motor when there is no oil, and the beeper is to let you know that your close.

Where did you find the oil-pump replacement? And what type is it?

Sorry about the 20 questions man but this darn beeping is driving me nuts!
[signature]
I am running an older Ranger bass boat with 20 and 10 gal. tanks.....I will pour a few oz. of oil in the tank and then add the amount of gas that equates to the amount of oil......I'm not sure I would cut the wires without running a pre-mix. There is some kind of problem. It could be a loose or cracked cap on the reservoir, or no pressure in the main oil tank, a bad pump or faulty pump, air in the lines or a bad sensor.
I have a seloc manual that I got from the Merc. dealer in Bountiful and I cannot find where the engine will shut down prior to failure, Maybe on the newer 4 strokes, that might be the case, I don't know.
The part number that I purchased to block off the pump is Mercury Quicksilver part #43453.....This part holds the bushing in place......You do not want to just plug the lines and run with the oil pump still in place as you could damage the engine from corroded parts......The part was 6 or 7 dollars.
There is also a part available from rickracers.com, which includes the plug, o ring and screws.
Instructions are on the internet at [url "http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57758"]http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57758[/url]
This is a work in progress for me and I'm going out in a minute to tear into it.
[signature]
Sweet, I'll check that out. Let me know how it goes man!
[signature]
The scream and fly web site should be:
http://forums.screamand fly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57758
Sorry about that.
[signature]
Dude, thanks for that link to scream and fly, It looks like a pretty simple job to eliminate the oil injection. When I did my '98 Scrambler 400 (4-wheeler), the kit was about the same. I removed that one because after about a 100 hrs of use, the fuel/oil ratio would start to slip. I blew the top end up on that thing twice before I figured that out![crazy] Any way, keep me updated on how that goes. That damn beeping is scaring away fish!
[signature]
OK, I operated and the patient is still alive.......I ran it in my tank and I think it idles a little smoother than it did......Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems like it does.......I'll give it a shot at East Canyon in a couple of days.
I have the carbs on this motor, so I didn't have to mess with the vapor seperator or ECU mounts......I just blocked the oil line from the pump to the fuel line tee with a quarter inch bolt and a hose clamp as a temporary measure, but I'll replace the whole thing with a clear plastic fuel line. I cut the wires from the motion sensor and put small blue wire nuts on them and taped them together.........Started the engine, got the beep that the overheat sensor is still working and no oil warning beep.
As jrumon indicated in his post in the Scream and Fly Website, it is probably good to take a small tank and run a little premix in the motor before doing this just in case the motor hasn't been getting oil.
[signature]
Sweet, glad to hear the operation was successful! How diffucult was the operation?
[signature]
Took about an hour after I got the parts......I just used the screws that I took out.......The upper one had to be shortened, or you can buy a shorter one......I had to get an O-ring as the one on the pump was worn thin, and I used bolts and hose clamps to plug the lines......I haven't taken out the big oil tank yet, I just plugged it off for the time being......Not too bad.
A good mechanic could do it in 20 minutes, but I had to make it last through a couple of Mountain Dews.
[signature]
Sweet! Today is payday and I'm going to order the parts. I'll let you know when I get going on mine. But I'll have to make the job last through a couple of Keystones![laugh]
[signature]