Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach De-Bait 5-27-07
[cool][#0000ff]With the up and down weather patterns, and various other excuses, I had not yet made my annual carp perforating pilgrimage to Utah Lake. Loaded up TubeBabe and her fishing gear this morning, but left mine home. Took my bow instead.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Got Da Babe launched by sevenish and started sloshing in the shallows, looking for carpkind. It was strangely quiet. I expected a lot more thrashin' and splashin'. Bein' Sunday mornin' and all I wondered if maybe the fish had gone to church...unlike TB & me...and Carppunisher, who showed up soon after. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was wading "wet" (without waders) and the water felt "cool to the touch". TubeBabe later confirmed that the water temps had dropped from over 70 a week or so ago to only 61 at launch and 62 later. No wonder the carp were being shy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I spotted some carply activity at the edge of some cattails across the shallow channel and moved as quietly as a big guy like me can move through the water. A couple of carp came to the surface and one went back down with an arrow through his head. One on the stringer rope. A few minutes later I saw the tip of a tail fin moving across the surface. Couldn't see the fish in the murky water but calculated where it would be and let fly. Number two on the stringer.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was over an hour before I added number three. The fish were only working way back in the reeds and cattails, out of sight and out of reach of my unerring arrows. Tried a couple of "wiggling stick" shots but only got my fish arrow stuck in some nasty roots.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Finally, after slogging through reeds and muck, to find the source of a lot of splashing sounds, I found what was making all the ruckus...a couple of reed-munching bovines (cows). But, there were also a grundle of swirls and splashes from carp...in shallower water. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For the next hour or so I was all over that. Unfortunately, the PVC line reel on my bow lost one of the spindle arms and that messed up my shooting on anything except very close shots. I began shooting the regular arrows, with field tips. Had to chase a few fish, but did not lose any arrows. Got one with a classic betwixt the eyeballs shot. He did not even quiver after I did his lobotomy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Knowing of the heavy work involved to fillet and prepare those big carp, I quit stringing them after I had six big chunky ones on the line. They probably averaged 8-10 pounds. Chatted with TubeBabe on the Walkie Talkie, expecting to hear that she had her limit of cats by then, but she admitted to the smell of skunk all over her tube. I told her that she needed my guide services if she really expected to catch fish. I heard a loud rude noise from my receiver and the air went dead.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I took my 6 "bait fish" over to the cleaning station and ran them through my weight loss program. Man, I could have never done it without my heavy duty cordless electric knife. Just about went through both batteries on those heavy rib cages. I have never worn out even one battery before, even with a long session of cats and wipers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe reluctantly came ashore...fishless. Carppunisher also admitted defeat...except for one small white bass...and rowed in to chaticate with us. Good to see him agin. I hope I punished the carp well enough to suit him today.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A couple of lighter notes. There was a big old Canada goose waiting for me as I walked down to the waters edge this morning. Just looked over its shoulder in disdain as it waddled to the water. Once afloat, it told me off well. Sounded like a very bad goose call.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I waited for TubeBabe to make it back to shore, there was a group of three young boys playing with a float tube near shore. I couldn't resist taking a picture as one of them was apparently looking down through the opening, into the water. It was probably a good idea I didn't try to explain how a real fish finder works. He was a bit young for the concept anyway.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Pat,[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]As usual, I enjoyed your pictures and report.[/size]
[size 3]Even if it was a bait collection trip, it was a pleasure to read your well written account of the morning.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Maybe game fish next time.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thank ya kindly, fer the kindly words. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was doing my part for conservation today. Leave the game fish alone and remove a few of t'other ones. Most of the ones I "harvested" were still full of roe...bajillions of egglets. It was nasty looking stuff too...sickly green. Unbelievable how many eggs one avarage size female carp can develope. No wonder that 90 percent of the biomass of Utah Lake is carp.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]WARNING: The attached picture is gross.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Well you did your share of cleaning out the undesirable residents of UL today. Good on ya!![/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I gots to go now, I have this strange craving for guacamole or mashed acocados. Very strange craving!![/size]
[size 3][/size]
[#ff0000][size 3]veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around.[/size][/#ff0000]
[signature]
[#505000]I learned a very valuable lesson today...[/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]If I ever go fishing and Tubedude didn't bother to bring a pole I might as well not launch. I talked it over with Tubebabe, and we agree that Pat knew something about today that we did not.[/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]Special thanks to that little white bass who helped wash off the smell of skunk. I suppose it could have been worse. (not much though)[/#505000]
[signature]
I love it when the carp try to imitate the legendary unicorns! Sweet. Too bad a bunch more weren't in the lovable mood today, as I'm sure you would have been happy to play cupid to several more of those beasties.
[signature]
Great report Pat. Looks like the ol' stick and string did it's job for ya.
That egg pic just gave me the confirmation i needed that carp really are made of primordial(sp?) ooze... Gross[crazy]
[signature]
Looks like tube babe took a longgggggggggg time to reel those fish in , and it appears to have been a fight to the death.
lol
RF
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Actually, she just set the hooks too hard. Sailed those fish through the hot dry air and when they hit the bank they were all dried out. Notice she just about jerked the head off that fine specimen of a carp...and jerked the fillets off the catfish. She do get enthusiastic about her fishin'.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[blush]I have to admit I get a little enthusiastic ... I won't do that again!
[signature]
So you are saying "fish jerky", the easy way?

RF
[signature]
There you go ... but it wasn't easy!!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]She leaves all the fish smoking up to me. She never can figure out which end to light.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You are cold old man!! Doin the babe like that! Nice report and as always great pics too. Really liked the one of TBs' haul. Just too cold I tell ya.
Gonna have to take back the santa suit.
[signature]