Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to learn to crappie fish
Hi There Im In South Carolina An I Live Next To A Creek You Can Walk Across It In Alota Places An Never Get Your Nees Wet It Flows Into The Savana River The Crappy Will Spawn Soon Never Know Fer Shure Witch Week They Will Peek Out But There Are Places Witch Are Id Gess 7 or 8 Ft Deep In It An At Most Its 25 To 30 Ft Wide Shure Wish You Could Be Here Wif Me Use To No One Ever Fished It You Would See The Same 2 Or 3 Guys Year From Year An 1 Or 2 Of Them Would Be Wif Me An That Jus Left That Outher Guy Year After Year Not Eaven My Brother Are Sis Would Dare Go Down To That Paluted Ole Horse Creek An There Dire Fishin Folks Worse Than I Yet That Was 30 Years Ago An Thangs Chang As Dose The Spown It Never Seemed To Matter Wat You Throwed At Um Ifin It Glissend Or Wiggeld Or Hopped Jus The Slites Little Twich Set Them Of But Yet The Biggest Key Was To Find Them You Could Stand Bye Me Bein The Gentaman You Are An Give Me Squraters Rights Castin Ten Fet Away An Never Get A Strike Witch Ive Seen Time An Time Again To Outhers Amasmet Iv Eaven Backed Away An Given Them My Rod An That Dosent Fix The Problem Fer Thim EatherFor My Rell Is Desind For 6 lb Line An Spolled With 4 Man How I Loved Those 7 Doller 304s Who Was It That Made Those Cant Remeber Fer Shure But Boy They Held 4 Lb Line Great Fer A Cheep 6 Lb Real Anyway The Retrivel Is Whats The Key An All That Extra Line Has More Than One Adfatige As Im Shure All Know I Use A 1\32 Crappy Jig Color Well That Will Be WITE green yellor black brown blue pink WITE WITE WITE Yes Wite An Remember That Retrival We Talked About Thats The Thing That Vares Mostly They Hit It As Quikly As Posabuly The Line Istn Tight ,Yet You See It Move Backwards You Dont Feal It You See The Line Go In Revirse Thats Her Inhalin The Fly Some Times You See Them Run Up To The Surface An Hit It An Its Not Fell 6 Inches You know There In There Hot Then An By The Way I Cut The Feathers Of My Fly Jus Behind The Hook An Kind Of Looks Like A Gupy Boy They Must Hate Gupys Well Like I Said Thangs Change Now The Key Is Jus Being The First One There Out Of The Mases That Come An I Have Allways Shown Them All I Know For I Know What It Was Like When It Was Jus Those 3 Other Guys You Could Look Down In The Creek An See Them A Cuple 100 Strong Sittin There Not Going Forwawds Nor Backwards The Whole School Movein Back An Forth With The Current As If One Indavidul.Hope To See You At The Creek This Year. Froger Findum Fishum Falayum Fryum Fergitum Till Sunrise Tomarow.
[signature]
I would tell you to go with minnows also,but if they aren't allowed in Idaho,...go smack someone lol. I've always used these little red earthworms, the kind that you find just under old 2x4's and lightweight rocks. I've had a lot of luck with those.
Another thing I do is take a rainbow or chartreuse colored Rooster Tail/ or Beetle Spin and throw out a bobber for bluegills, and then cast the Beetle Spin or Rooster Tail out about 5-10 ft. from the bluegill bobber.
In doing this, I'm using the "offer the bluegill something so they'll leave my crappie jig alone" technique (you guys are free to use this technique, I havent copyrighted it yet)LOL.
Anyways, cast your spinner out away from the bobber, of course if the bobber starts bobbing, that could be a crappie also, but either way, you're gonna get a fish. And that is the whole purpose of using my technique in the first place. You have to be smarter than the fish, or at least make it look like you are.[Wink]
[signature]
That is the best wisdom I have ever heard[Wink]
[signature]
Yes, lite lines and light floats is the key here! I'm not trying to make you buy some, but perhaps you can look here to see the best Floats for Crappies! They are a nice addition for any Crappie and Trout Fisherman.
[#ff0000]No links allowed for persons with less than 15 posts[/#ff0000]

Good Luck and Tight Lines!
Thanks, MrGrey.
[signature]
I fish a lot from my float tube. For crappie around structure, like vertical ledge, bushes, sticks, etc. I like to flip a rod's length of line or a bit more with a bright colored jig. I can see the jig descending in the water, when it disappears,I set the hook, most of the time the fish is on. Water clarity is usually 5 to 8 feet and just at that point where the jig is coming close to going out of sight due to the clarity, it will vanish, that is the fish, set the hook. This works good for me here in SE Id. Best of luck, love sight fishing the 'gills, crappie, and bass.
[signature]
I have only fished "for" crappie a couple of times. Actually, I was after Wiper and Carp, but found Crappie with no problem at all.
Like rd, I was in my pontoon by the boat dock, but also found them in the middle of the bay.
Fly fishing, I had a type II line and a Midnight Fire plus a White Crystal bugger (smaller like #10). They liked both...caught a couple doubles.
Just another way without bait.
[signature]
I use minnows if I can get some large ones that are hyper-active. If not that I use the good ole beetle spinnner with different colors til I find what they are hitting.

I caught this one using a beetle spin with a green/white bottom soft jig on the lead head. My biggest Crappie to date.

[inline Crappie.JPG]
[signature]
Been years since I went after crappie, but I'll echo bytebull's advice with one slight modification: I preferred the "Crappie Thunder" Road Runner lures, which are very much like Beetle Spins except they have skirt tails instead of grub tails.

The colors that worked best for me were white-red-white and chartreuse-black-chartreuse, but YMMV.

And, byte, that is definitely a beaut you're holding up.
[signature]
I use to crappie fish when I was young. My brother and I would go to my grandmothers house on Lake Houston in Texas almost every weekend and fish for them and catfish. We have some great memories and some great fishing stories. We would use jigs even back then and if we were lucky, my mom would buy is some live minnows. We would catch them good during the spawn, but my grandfather would always catch more. One year when we spent Christmas there, I saw him throw the Christmas tree in the water where he always fished. Of course that was why he loved that spot and was always fishing it. LOL Great memories!

Capt. Alan
https://galveston-fishing.com
https://galvestonsfishingcharters.com
Nice topic. Too bad no one adds more replies even now years after the original post.
Location, location, location ! #1. Find fish/ catch fish. Granted, what is cast can be important when it comes to fish size and aggressiveness. Larger lures usually exclude smaller fish - but not the other way around. I've caught many lunkers on small lures and light tackle such as these:

Different lures require different presentations to catch fish - something rarely mentioned in most forums. It's not just what is cast, but the speed of the retrieve, type retrieve and where in the water column the lure is used. Anyone can give examples of the large fish and quantities of fish they caught, but details matter and without them, it's more brag than fact IMO.
No such thing as learning to fish for a species of fish when many lures catch most fish species in most no-salt waters and especially in lakes. Without question, the easiest lures to catch fish on are small plastics rigged on light ball head jigs. Lures in general are fish finders that at times accomplish what sonar doesn't or can't. Fish tell the angler how active they are in an area - the more areas fish are found biting, the more chances of getting numbers into the boat.
(10-20-2023, 03:18 PM)SENKOSAM1 Wrote: No such thing as learning to fish for a species of fish when many lures catch most fish species in most no-salt waters and especially in lakes. Without question, the easiest lures to catch fish on are small plastics rigged on light ball head jigs. Lures in general are fish finders that at times accomplish what sonar doesn't or can't. Fish tell the angler how active they are in an area - the more areas fish are found biting, the more chances of getting numbers into the boat.

So true, those are some good sized fish in your earlier post, congrats.
those are some good sized fish in your earlier post, congrats.

Thanks WH2. Old posts such as these, I usually don't reply to. But I've learned quite a bit this year, especially about a lake I've fished for over 30 yrs. Catches have been amazing all summer.
(11-10-2023, 02:46 AM)SENKOSAM1 Wrote: those are some good sized fish in your earlier post, congrats.

Thanks WH2. Old posts such as these, I usually don't reply to. But I've learned quite a bit this year, especially about a lake I've fished for over 30 yrs. Catches have been amazing all summer.

IMO, it's always great when members help others with info like that. Sounds like you had a great Summer.
(11-10-2023, 02:51 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(11-10-2023, 02:46 AM)SENKOSAM1 Wrote: those are some good sized fish in your earlier post, congrats.

IMO, it's always great when members help others with info like that. Sounds like you had a great Summer.

On one forum I have a lot of views to posts I started - over 2,000 views. Glad to see someone is interested... LOL