Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fishin again
hey all (Ima REAL noob) just got back into fishin again at 27, my main goal in fishin is just for pleasure for now, i never used to fish with anything other than live worms and crickets, i picked up an ultralight combo @ Wally-World and recently i got a StrikeKing Bitsy Minnow and a hardwire roostertail (Wordons?) to try and learn how to fish with somethin other than a tightline pole & livebait, and Ive been catchin WAYYY more Bluegill & Sunfish than id been gettin with red worms and nightcrawlers, is this typical ???, funny thing is i dont even know if im retrieving right? comin from a tightline cane pole 15+ years ago !! though i must admit its workin so far. FRom the prior posts here i dint see much talk bout the minnow cranks, does this just have somethin to do with the area im fishin? Any input appreciated [Wink]
[signature]
[cool] Welcome To BFT!!!!!!!! You will get a lot of information and tips from this forum. If I am using a beetle spin or anything like it, I usually use a steady retrieve, maybe pause every once in a while. But if you are catching fish you must be doing something right!!!!hehe.
[signature]
Welcome CCR. Thanks for sharing your fishing experience with us.

I always love the Wardens Rooster Tails. I used to use the dark blue or dark black for Bluegill. That seems to be one of the key ticket for them.

In some areas the night crawler is good in other it isn't. In some areas the mealworm or even the wax worm will get bit.

Where I live, the Gills won't touch nightcrawlers nor meal worms. They like the wax worm or the Rooster Tail.[cool]
[signature]
thanks for the info and welcomes, startin get the hang of this fishin thing,(at least i think so [Wink]) just a lot of grey areas i need to learn from others on. lookin forward to readin more "experiences". Readin how to do somethin and Seein how to do somethin are completely different to me but it helps ease my mind A TON !!! For now Ive been havin fun bein the Dufus on the bank [cool] Guess my next question is about colors, Are the more popular colors area specific? or does it depend on the type of water your fishin in? or what your fishin for?

Been fishin at Rend Lake here in Southern Illinois and nightcrawlers / dayglo yellow rooster tail / white bitsy minnow crank have worked for me so far, maybe i was just holdin my mouth right er somethin though, Ill admit my tackle box is pretty scarce right now, but ill definately give the black/blue a go, seems the rooster tail worked the best but the bitsy minnow worked better at the city lake the day before. Ive also been told the Rapala Original Floater works good for Bluegill. Been catchin quite a few hand length Bluegill at Rend Lake, seems the baitstealers keep gettin my worms though.
[signature]
The colors are easy to remember.

Rule #1:

Clear water, light colors.

Rule #2:

Dark or stained water, Dark colors.

Rule #3:

If the fish are better educated than we are, try other colors or combinations to suit what the fish like.

Rule #4:

Enjoy yourself while out fishing.

Rule #5:

Even a bad day fishing beats a good day at work![cool]

If you have any questions, this is the place to ask. We are all here to help each other.[Smile]
[signature]
Welcome aboard CCR. Rooster tails are a blast on panfish and if you like fishing with em I'd say try out some panther martins black with gold blades with no bucktail. I dont know what it is about those but I cant beat them. Its really turned into a confidence lure for me for bluegill and trout alike. [cool]

Matt
[signature]
Welcome back. I know it has been awhile since your post, but I hope you have had many successful and fun days fishing.

Capt. Alan
Galveston Fishing Charters
Galveston Texas Fishing Charters