Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
? Strawberry Questions
My dad and I are going to Strawberry early Saturday morning and I am wondering what people are using up there. I read MGB's recent post and Troutslayer and Flygoddess gave some good advice about trolling patterns and long-lining rapalas. Any other thoughts? For example, what size/color tube jigs to people use up there and how do people fish them? Drop them down and jig vertically or drag them along the bottom near banks? What is your favorite tactic for Strawberry, one of the most popular fishing holes in the state?
[signature]
Use Tubes such as favored by the bass. Get a leadhead to fit inside the tube jig.. cast away and let it go to the bottom reel real slow but keep it dangling and swimming... youll get into big fish.

Tube jig in green with red or black flecks.
[signature]
This time of year , I would throw jigs or jerkbaits at the shore close to the inlets at first light and last light (before the sun gets to high ) . Look for water were shallow water drops off to deeper water . Basicly the same old story ever year . Find the food source and you should find some fish . Fish will be spawning but there will be feeders too .Trolling will be better now with crankbaits for most of the day . Full moon could effect the bite some , but should get into some . For rainbows troll hardware , spoons . Colors to match the food source . If you find a bunch on the fishfinder hanging on the bottom , go for it , but I think you will do fine just trolling . Oh yeah , there is no fish in the middle of the lake . [Wink]
[signature]
I hear you, I'm not going anywhere near the middle of the lake where none of the fish are. You would have to be downright stupid to go fish the middle of the lake.[Wink]
[signature]
If the wind comes up, which it often does starting around 11:00 AM, try drift trolling. The windier the better, as long as your boat is safe. You can drift troll with most anything, but one especially effective way is to tie a flasher or dodger on and trail either a whole crawler or a minnow behind it. Take the boat near to the shore that is closest to the direction the wind is coming from, turn off the outboard and just let the wind carry you. This is a relaxing and often effective way to fish Strawberry. Drift trolling is one way I discovered that there are no fish in the middle of Strawberry.[Wink]
[signature]
That is a great idea--one that I never thought of and probably never would. Thanks! I would imagine that that would also be a good way to troll a little marabou jig or wooly bugger. What do yo think?
[signature]
Anything that the fish will hit when drifted slowly (Marabou jigs, tube jigs, flat fish...) will often work. I've even seen PowerBait work. Because you are often moving much more slowly through the water less line needs to be let out to get the same depths that you are fishing at regular trolling speeds. Be ready to mark places that are holding fish, so that you can fish those areas again during that trip and on later trips. I have gone back to places in the middle (I really didn't say that did I?) of Strawberry Bay that I marked several years ago and the fish are holding in the exact places that they were holding back then, during the same time of year.
[signature]
Kentofnsl,
That is a great point you mentioned about wind trolling. I have been doing it since I have had my boat and thought I was the only one out there looking like a fool[sly]!!! It works at every lake that I have been to. Get up early, do your regular trolling until the motor runs outta gas, then pray for a little "W" and get at em again!!![cool]
TS
[signature]
At the advice of a friend, I started using white cricket jigs with big black-eyed heads for ice fishing, but found to have very good luck with them year round. I usually just cast out, let it sink, draw in slowly, repeat. Tipped with worm helps.
[signature]
[reply]
"I would imagine that that would also be a good way to troll a little marabou jig or wooly bugger. "..................................................................... Ding Ding Ding.... We have a winner! Wind drifting a bugger is one of my favorite and most relaxing ways to fish! [/reply]
[signature]