Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hottest Mack lake in the West--50 pounder!
Blue Mesa Reservoir, a large deep reservoir in south central Colorado, is currently the hottest mack lake in the west. It has produced many state record lake trout in the past 5-10 years, and the latest was just over 50 pounds. It is full of kokanee, rainbow, and brown trout. It also has an abundance of yellow perch, so the lakers grow fat and sassy with tons of forage. Here's a link from BFT to the article. [url "http://www.fishingrssfeeds.com/node/1997"]http://www.fishingrssfeeds.com/node/1997[/url]

The Gorge record of the same size dates back nearly 20 years, and it hasn't been broken. Blue Mesa is peaking now!

Photo also attached. What a pig! And there's more waiting!
[signature]
thats a pig allright its just too bad he had to keep it, it would have beat the gorge record in anouther year. thanks for the pic,and info , it seems like where the kokes thrive the macs chow and do well.
[signature]
I have fished Blue Mesa a few times when I lived back in Colorado, never did hook into anything that big, but they do have some NICE BIG browns in there.
TS
[signature]
Jim,

I hope to put a fish that big in your boat next month Buddy[Wink]

Will have a camera ready.
[signature]
And I hope a Brinks truck flips over in my front yard today![Wink]

But hey, there might still be one over 50 in here if some fool didn't kill it when it was in its 40's.
[signature]
That thing is a monster WOW. thanks for sharing that.
later chuck
[signature]
I think I have better odds on the 50 pounder. I know there is one in there. Hell, There is no reason for a brinks truck to come to Manila. Other than to crash in your front yard. [Wink]
[signature]
What a big ol fish! Would be fun to mud wrestle that bad boy. Do you think they take as long to grow that big down there?
[signature]
holly crap. whats don thinking driving to wyo? to fish for hogs when he has them closer to home and just as big? thanx for sharing that.
[signature]
Well, I'm not as stupid as you might think. Read my Blue Mesa report on the Colorado board. [Sad]

[signature]
ya i know. lol. you go to be with your buddy who lives ther. i had to ask.
[signature]
I'll be honest - I love mack fishin' anywhere they swim!
[signature]
Dangit Jim, I'm already in enough trouble for hitting FG and Fish Lake too much, now you have to tempt me with more big macks 6 hours away. Oh well, easier to get forgiveness than permission......

Maybe Don will meet me out there and show me how it's done.
[signature]
A friend of mine from the Denver area was telling me that a few years ago the state record of arond 45lbs was pulled out of blue mesa by a guy in a float tube! Ever since my folks moved down that way I have been itching to go try my luck. It should be a fun ride!
[signature]