Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YUBA!!!
[font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][#ff0000]HELLO BFTR'S::[/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][#ff0000][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][#ff0000]ANYONE BEEN TO YUBA RECENTLY??? HEADING DOWN ON SUNDAY JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD ANY INFO!! ANY HELP WOULD BE NICE!![/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][#ff0000][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][#ff0000]H.F.H.[/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Wasatch and I stopped by on our way back form FishLake on Sunday. Spent an hour or so just throwing roadrunners from shore. I was using a whit roadrunner with a small white curley tail and caught the biggest Perch i have ever seen. It was about 15" and fat fat fat. I just hope it doesn't crash before they open it up.
there were some guys just down from the damn throwing flys and bubbles and they had a few trout.
[signature]
I am heading down there this saturday . I am gonna troll a bit and jig a few of my old walleye spots . I will let ya know how i did. I am wondering if any of the tiger trout lived past the perch assault!!
[signature]
Hey Ocean,

What are the pike up to there? Let me know if you find any.

Proline
[signature]
I am taking my boat this time and hitting a few spots that you cant reach fom shore. Hopefully i can find one that isnt full fom perch. The pike should be pretty big and fat by now.
[signature]
It will take two things to make the perch crash one is when the fisherman are takeing all the biger perch and the the walleye are eating all the small ones......

[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Combine that with a low water (poor perch spawn) year and none of the predators has any groceries. Everything falls down and goes boom.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
And poor management or lack of, and any lake will crash...

[signature]
i have heard of some nice pike comeing out of yuba the last while as well of some real fat perch..

you can find the pike in the back bay's and around the willows sticking up all around the lake.. i have done best on pike around the painted rock area right acrosst from the boat ramp.. fire tiger or perch colored yo-zuri's or rapala's are best.. go big j-13 or 6" sticks are working best.. trolling a red & white spoon is allways a good way of finding pike as well.
[signature]
Fuzzy is there a lot of structure on the other side of Yuba. I have only been there 2 times once to fish it in my tube and once off the bank. And both times it seams that there is not much structure to hold the fish. And if it were managed correctly that could become great warm water fishery. I would much rather drive to Yuba to catch good bass than all the way to St. George.

Thanks
Majja
[signature]
The big problem with Yuba is the water. It's there to irrigate, and when we have winters like the last one, it takes it's toll on the fishery. I don't think they can sustain a good fishery there. [mad]
[signature]
FlyCasting is CORRECT
That is why the present regulations to PROHIBIT the harvest of Perch is so WRONG. At this time you have water in the reservior and a huge number of Jumbo perch waiting for the resource to dry up!
Which will Happen soon!
BAD MANAGEMENT!!!!!
[signature]
there is no Qustion that yuba can be a great warm water fishery.. it has been for years and years.. and is right now a great fishery!!

the water levles are a problem and have been for years.. the same problem that all the warm water lakes in the area have.. good water years good fishing.. and i think the management of yuba has been little to stringent as for perch. but hey go fish it for perch and see if you can find a place there are no perch.. so it's a great perch fishery right now and they have size to them as well.. i have also seen Yuba put out 20lb + pike,20lb + catfish 10lb+ walleye, 2lb+ perch and 6lb + Rainbows, so it is allready a great fishery and will be as long as the water stays flowing..
[signature]
Yuba has so much Structure all over it it's hard to find the fish some times..

the other side of the boat ramp at painted rock is a shallow flat running out about 50 yards and about 150 to 200 yards long it's anywhere from 5 to 15 feet deep.. with lots of willows sticking up out of the water and sumarged trees out as deep as 20 feet.. pike love that kind of place and will be there on most any day..
[signature]
I know it has great years with big fish, and what not, but that's why I typed "sustain."

They just can't keep it great year in, year out.... unfortunately.
[signature]
well there are not many lakes in utah that i know of that can Sustain any fishery with out help with water or planting of fish..

what do you think would happen to all the trout lakes here in utah if the DWR stoped plating them during a drout year? most all the trout lakes would trun to crap.. but a lake like Yuba can Sustain it's self through the bad times to injoy the good times with verry little help from the DWR.. so i say it's a much more Sustainable lake than most here in utah!!
[signature]
Yuba has more boom/bust cycles than any other fishery I can think of. When I say sustain, I mean that the fishery consistantly holds its own despite low water years. If you want to blame the lack of planting there, then that's another debate.

Has Yuba sustained a consistant trophy walleye fishery over the last 20 years? No, because it can't. [cool]
[signature]
Hi fuzzy. Seems like Yuba is pretty huge compared to a lot of reservoirs around the SLC area. I'd like to check it out but have no boat and thus would be in my float tube.

Is it a hard reservoir to fish for a float tuber? Does it get very windy there? Can I access some of those areas you're mentioning with the structure (want to get into some pike) with my tube (kicking all the way, no motor but my leg)?

If I go to the painted rock boat ramp, can I kick out to some good spots very easily?

Any help is appreciated. thanks.
-jeff
[signature]
Yuba can get nasty on day's of high winds.. early morrnings and evenings are best from a tube.. in the afternoon the winds can get bad..

you can get to that area from the boat ramp in a tube. but dont let the wind catch ya over there.. or you might end up down at the state park on the north end.. or on the south end of the big bay you have to cross to get there.. lol the good news is you would be catch fish the whole time tho.. lol

if ya want a pike from a tube Redmond would be better for ya.. more pike, on the small side tho. but easy on and easy to get around on..
[signature]
When they drained yuba you could see how much structure there really was which hardly any. Most of the structure was closer to shore and thats where the perch need to be in order to hide and hide from predators.Yuba is mostly a desert under water except for a few man made structural areas.Even when it got drained there was a lot of growth going into the middle of the res. But when it starts to get drained that will be outof the water again.Anyone remember desert storm? Thats what the perch have to go through when the walleye come back.They have nowhere to hide most of the timeeasy pickings for pike and walleye.There is structure for awhile then its gone after water drops. [Sad]
[signature]