Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 6-09-07
Got out this morning on the water at around 8:30ish. We launched at the south marina and headed over toward light pole area. First I got a hit that released the sideplaner but it didn't hook him. Then within about 15 minutes I hooked a 17" wiper then almost right after that I got another one about the same size (had one of the kids reel that one) another 10-15 minutes and my friend got a small one about 14". I got the last fish of the day and he was 19"+. This was all by about 10:30 then the bite died and we didn't get another fish. We ended up leaving about 1:30.

I got the bigger fish with a deep diver behind some small pop gear, since we were fishing in about 12-13' of water I didn't snag up. All the other fish were on rattle traps all baits were shad colors. We were trolling about 2.5-3.2 mph and water temp started at 61 and by the time we left it was 65. Sorry no pics but it was a beautiful day out and these were my first wiper of the year.

I did notice that almost everyone else was hugging lots closer to the dike than where we were catching. I was wondering if anyone else was out there and how did you do? Did the bite die for everyone else at the same time?
[signature]
Nice report , thanks for sharing

AFDan52
[signature]
your report was just like my day it just shut off around 1030 and i was all over the place looking for the fish it started to pick up again around 300 did very well after that got enought for dinner anyway
[signature]
I hope nobody got hurt POWMOW.[Wink][Tongue][sly]..
[signature]
Fished willard from 6:00pm-10:00pm. Caught 8 wipers, most where around 19 inches. Caught 3 of them out in the middle in the first 2 hours and the other 5 close to the bank around 8 o'clock - 9:30.
[signature]
Thanks for posting your report John, good to hear you got into some fish. I hope the water temp is a little warmer by tomorrow evening when I get out there. It sounds like very few people are getting into those big schools of wipers, sure hope that changes now that the shad have started hatching[cool].
[signature]
Too bad the fishing died off, but at least you didn't get skunked.
[signature]
Sound like I called it an evening too early. I fished from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm. I trolled along the dike in 10 - 13 feet of water with no luck. I also tried out in the middle of the lake but I didn’t mark very many fish. I went back to the dike where I marked fish but never hooked up. I did discover that I need to work on my boats fuel pump. I had to hand prime my fuel line and restart my boat every 10 to 15 minutes.
[signature]
Me and a few friends went out there early in the morning and ended up catching 2 smallies, 2 catfish, and 2 wipers. We caught the 2 wipers one right after another at right around noon when we were headed out.
[signature]
4 of my fish where caught in 12' of water the other 4 where caught in 5' of water. I thought I seen a yellow boat out by the light pole heading towards the north marina about that time, maybe it was you.
[signature]
Yea it was. The engine died again and the fishing was slow so I reeled the lines in and left. I guest I should have quit trolling and started casting. I assume the fish you caught in the 5 feet of water you where casting.
[signature]