Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
white bass bonanza!
So after reading the provo river walleye report I decided to try my luck on the way home from work yesterday evening. I never did find the eyes but I caught enough whities to choke a goat! Seems that it is spawning time for those little fellas. At first I thought I was something special catching a fish on virtually every cast until a nice little family pulled in next to me (by invitation) and started doing the same thing using just whatever they had in their box. Oh well it was still a good time! Average size was around 10-12 inches with a few running up to around 14. Sorry no pics.[unsure]
[signature]
Sounds great. They are fun fish to catch, and quite tasty to boot!
[signature]
Just take a walk down the provo river trail below I 15 and when the water starts slowing up that's where you will start to find them. There are some parking areas down closer to the lake that will make the walk a bit shorter for ya.
[signature]
I took my wife and friends down again last night and we found the same thing: the whities were takin over. Might even have seen that family you were talking about. Actually, did I pass you? There were 5 of us, 4 fairly young, one middle aged guy. Anyway, the whites were spawning and they were on every cast just about. But the walleyes showed up after sunset. Caught about 10 with my wife landing a 16 incher. Was good times just fightin fish.
[signature]
Good times indeed! Here's some of the spoils.

Hey watkinator, got a pic of that big 16-incher? My biggest turned out to be 14" but wasn't near as fat as the one she got[cool]! After last night, I've decided it's time to invest in a real fillet knife instead of my $4 wally-world special! Maybe even electric. We're about to go cook 'em up right now.

Let's hit it again soon, eh!
[signature]
Yeah, here's the pic from the sink. BTW, does anyone know how to get to the Provo just under DC dam? I'd love to try it there but with all the construction I have no idea where to pull off and park and hike down.
[signature]
The entrance is the same as it was before the construction. It has just been moved and improved ... so they say. Enter at the campground entrance and stay to your left (east) follow the road (trail, rutts, or whatever you choose to call them) down to the river. With them working on the over flow canel it has been tough in that area.
try fishing where the water clears back up. Some days its aways clear as they dont disturb the bottom much others it just plain muddy til it sifts out.
[signature]
Yeah I think you did pass me by. I was the fat balding guy. Guess I will have to try again this week but a little later in the evening this time for the eyes. That is an impressive mess of fish you all took home!
[signature]
Excellent report! That is just the news I've been waiting for. Everyone deserves a trip like that every now and then!

Where would you go to get into the whitie action if you had a 14' aluminum boat to fish out of?

I've done well at the Lindon marina before, but would rather use my state park pass and go to the provo marina, but I've never fished for the whities out of that marina...

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
If I were you I would leave the boat at home and just fish on the river. If you really want to use the boat then I would fish right at the inlet where they are heading up to spawn. Let me know if you would like some company this weekend and we might hit it up!
[signature]
I hit that stretch of the provo yesterday and slayed em. Caught well over 150 fish. Today was a different story... They must be releasing water from DC because the water went from slow to fast, clear to muddy and clean to dirty. I could not keep the vegetation off the line. There were tree limbs up to 4" in diameter floating down as well as other litter such as gatorade bottles etc. I noticed the water level had raised about 6 inches since yesterday and it had to have risen another 3-4 inches while I was there. Yesterday you could spot and cast. You could easily see fish in 3-4 ft of water. Today you could not see your lure until it came out of the water at your feet. I doubt if you could see down 2". I would give this one a week or two.

Slayer
[signature]
I agree, I just got back from there again and it was a completely different story than it was on Saturday. Higher, dirtier water with much more debree. Probably making room for all the runoff from last week's storm.

Caught a nice 2 1/2 lb. 20" brown and a couple others (all on CD7 rapalas in rainbow or perch), but nowhere near what it was the other day. Mosquitos also came out with a vengeance. Only stayed about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.

[inline Brown.jpg]
[signature]
Man that's a beaut! That's what I was seeing in the water at that exact spot a week earlier. I chased that fish for a week!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, I don't care what everybody says about you. You do good work.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sounds like you found yourself a honey hole and got it dialed in pretty good.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yeah, I was there last night as well and only managed one whitie in about an hour of fishing. I did however manage my first walleye in quite some time! It was only about 14" or so but seeing how my last one was back in high school in Montana I'll take it![sly]

I think you are right about waiting a couple of weeks. Not only to let the water calm down but to let the pressure ease off a bit!
[signature]
Amen to that...there were quite a few wandering up and down that stretch. When I was there on Saturday a guy came right down into the middle of the weeds ten feet to the right of me and started casting in the exact spot I was. Times like those I need one of those good old-fashioned plugs with 5 or 6 rusty trebles! [Wink]
[signature]
I went down there yesterday morning about 8:30 am or so for about 3 or 4 hours. I caught two white bass right away and then I couldn't buy a bite. Just before I left I caught one other white bass. This morning I went down again for about an hour or so to see if things were a little better. On my first cast I caught a small walleye and then things were slow, slow, slow. Not only did I not get another bite, but no one fishing there caught anything! It's amazing how things can be so good for a day or two and then change so drastically.

Lloyd
[signature]