Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
willard bay
has anyone been to willard bay lately. how's the fishing and does anyone know what the water temperature is now. any info would be good. thanks and good fishing
[signature]
I have been out several times this week. Today the temp was mid fourties. There was about eight boats total out on the lake. About fifteen guys fishing the north marina along the east side. As for how the fishing has been, well slow would be the word I would choose. I have caught a few fish each time out, but usually you can find the fish holding together in a certain area and they will be there for a while. Not this year. But, I am starting to formulate an opinion as to why this is. A few trips out at the end of this month ought to confirm or erase my current thoughts. Due to the small size of the fish I believe that the younger stock of fish have not been in the lake long enough to establish consistent yearly patterns. I have yet to catch a decent size fish, or seen caught this year. Tactics that have worked well in years past seem to get less productive each year as the fishing pressure on willard increases. Today I got my fish on the south dike about a hundred yards apart and about a half hour apart. I had one hit about five feet from the side of the boat but missed it. It felt more like a walleye than a wiper but who knows. I noticed on the west dike was where all the boats were congregated. Two on the north end and the rest in the middle. They were all trolling slow with electrics, but werent catching any fish. When I told them about the couple I got they promtly headed that direction. Must be something I dont know about with this slow trolling for wipers The rocks really did a number on my fuzz-e grubs. All the heads are chipped up now. Anyways, its been the same story all week, a few fish all hard earned. But today was a killer day to be out on the water. Tommorow will be even better. Oh, and the dikes and parking lot are covered in bugs. Not mosquioes luckily. I know this is going to be wrong, but they looked to me like black mayflies. I only know zero files so they were probably something else but in my book they were black mayflies!

So, theres your report. Not much to report, but if you are dying to get that first wiper of the year, they are out there. Based on what I have seen this year, consider yourself lucky if you get one over three pounds this year. I am sure there are a few of the big ones left, but as of the end of last year and the beginning of this year all I caught or heard about people getting as an average were the small ones.
[signature]
great post mike...thanks...
[signature]
My bet is the bug is a midge . How is the lake for water . Is it still kinda low ? I was thinking of showing up there or Utah lake this weekend , but would be hooking from shore . Stormy sunday , maybe windy saturday .
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I went out this morning ... was on the water at 5:00 and off by noon. I wanted to try some glow-in-the-dark grubs. I found those grubs interesting but the fish didn't think much of them. I found a LOT of nice sized marks on my sonar in 17-18 feet of water just in front of the ledg that runs along the west dike. But I didn't cath anything. By 6:30 the marks had left that area. I am guessing they were walleyes preparing for the spawn. Also, around 6:30, I started seeing a few morning surface rises in that same area. But, again, they ignored my top water lures. Water temp ranged from 42 at 5:00 to 44 by noon. Water level in the south marina was 5.5 feet at the dock and 4.5 through the chanel. I didn't mark any fish of any significance anywhere other than the west dike.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]The high spot of the island is 2.2 feet under water.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]The light pole that used to be a wooden pole has been replaced by a large metal one with a walking platform, solar panel, and a flashing night beacon.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]The fish cleaning staions are still covered with a tarp-like cover and locked so that they can't be used yet.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I seen a bald eagle in a tree in the south marina and one on the shore in front of the feed lot. Reminded me of my freedom and our young men and women in the service.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Predator, was that your white ford truck I seen today in the North marina with the BFT URL in the rear window?[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I didn't catch any fish today but I did have a nice time and brought home a nice sunburn on my face. I think the Willard season is soon to open up ... another 10 degrees water temp and we'll be busy.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Hey Old coot, the ledge you are talking about, is it close to the deep water(20ft)? If it is we saw big fish on the finder in that same area last week, I also thought they were walleye. We are headed out tomorrow afternoon to give it a try, I'll post a report tomorrow. WH2
[signature]
Hey Old Coot if you catch some Wipers on topwater in 44 degree water. Shoot me a private message that would be pretty cool.
[signature]
Thanks for the nice reports from Old_Coot and Predator. Was there a lot of water coming in the inlet?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]WH2 .... Yes, that ledge I am refering to is VERY close to the west dike and runs pretty much up and down the whole length of the dike. I think it would be a premo place for an experienced walleye fisherman to have good luck early mornings for the next while.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]KillerBee ... Ya know, I didn't even think to look at the inlet baffels. I assume there is a pretty good flow comming in though.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Skeeter2 ... I was actually surprised to see those early morning rises this early in the year. The top water lure I was using was one with a propeller on the back. I had never used one and wanted to experiment.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]The whole day, I was mostly interested in getting re-aquainted with the bay area and try some new lure things. I wasn't taking my fishing too serious. Just enjoying the morning.....[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Sounds a bit similar to Teroy's boat. He says his is for fisnin ... not fashion.[/size][/font]
[signature]
hehe Coot. Lately my boat has been a fashion piece in the garage[Tongue]
[signature]