Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling motor vs. Trolling plate
I just bought a boat and was wondering what is the best way to troll i dont troll alot but have thought about it and was wondering what rout to go with any help would be appreciated
[signature]
Trolling motor will be cheaper on fuel . I can troll all day on a gallon of fuel .
[signature]
I asked the same thing a while back and just the info i got you should get a kicker!! you dont want to wear out your main motor trolling and you would have to purchase a trolling plate to make you troll slow enough. I just watched the classifieds and was picky about what I bought and ended up with a 2000 6hp johnson short for 600$ and am very happy with it! M.H.
[signature]
With gas as high as it is trolling motor is probly the way to go
[signature]
i have a trolling motor but not sure if it runs or not ill call around and see how much to fix it and go with that
[signature]
My 115hp if i trolled for 2hrs it uses about 6 gallons. My 8hp i can troll for 4 hours and maybe use over a gallon. I would rather troll with my larger engine but way expensive!!
[signature]
[black][size 3]One thing that has not been mentioned, is the comfort factor. Having a second motor on the boat, gives you a way of getting off the water if you have problems with your main motor.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]I agree with Saberfish 100%!!! I can't wait until I can get my kicker, not only for trolling but for security also. A trolling plate is a cheap alternative but they can cause a ton of problems if you are not very carefull with them. They can ruin your prop and in extreme cases even take out your bottom end, all from cavitation. [/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3][/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Read the post I had a couple days ago about Drift socks. There were alot of good suggestions on there that might help you accomplish trolling speeds that I also will try, until I get a kicker. Also if you have an electic bow mount that will work good also just not all day. All in all with alot of words typed a kicker is the only way to go.IMHO[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3][/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Later[/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
Also, trolling at lower speeds is more wear and tear on the larger, more expesive motor
[signature]