Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 6-10-07 wiper report
I got out today and caught 6 wiper, we kept 4 for a fish fry next weekend. Now I need to try to get a few kittys.

Time: 2:00-8:30pm
Water temp: 71 in the marina 66 in the fishing grounds.
Lure: Most productive lure of the day was not shad colors [Wink].

I used the gps a bit more today and made waypoints on every catch. They were clustered so it made things a bit easier. I will say that we were not catching anything near the dikes. We made big loops but the hook ups were in nearly the same area every time.

The biggest fish of the day went 19". I did get some video of my daughter bringing in a small wiper, it was about 14" and yeah we let it go.

[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k1HdEn-D_8"]Mallory bringing in a wiper. [/url]
[signature]
The video was just uploaded so it may take a bit before it works.
[signature]
Your becoming a regular out there John. We were out there this evening about the same time as you. We launched from the South marina and got 6 wipers also, we also managed 3 walleye. When that wind came up it sure go rough fast at the end of the day. What color is your new boat, do you have a picture of it?
[signature]
Its a brown, tan colored 1970 glasspar with straight 6 I/O and a 9.5 kicker motor. Ill post a pic or I need a new avatar and will put it there.
[signature]
[size 2]We got stuck in that wind also! Here was my emailed report that I sent out earlier today...

On Sunday afternoon, Arron and I went up to Willard Bay for some Wiper action. We launched about 5:00 p.m. in hot and mild conditions, and started trolling. The wind died down to dead calm conditions shortly after we launched. The fish just were not biting much, and right before dark we found out why...about 8:30 p.m., we were fairly close to the marina and the wind started to blow. Within minutes it was gail force winds. We got in a mini-hurricane type of weather squall, with 4 foot rollers and whitecaps. Whenever a low front comes in like that it shuts the fish down, and tonight was no exception. I did manage to catch my one and only Wiper during the windstorm, and shortly after we reeled in and headed directly to the marina. We made it into the marina ok, but were both pretty nervous in my little 14' boat! Arron ended up catching 3 Wipers and 1 Walleye. I only caught one Wiper, so 5 fish total. No pictures, I forgot the camera!
Randy[/size]
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Yep, that was some rough water, here is a picture from the back of the boat as we were coming in.
[inline Willard06-10.JPG]
When we came into the marina there were two 14 ft boats that came in about the same time. One of the boats was yellow the other silver, was one of them your boat? WH2
[signature]
Nice clip John, don't you slow the boat down when your reeling in fish? Looks like your girl had her hands full but she did a good job. Isn't your kicker working, were you trolling with your main motor?
[signature]
Sometimes we slow the boat down depending on the fish. I knew we had drug that small fish for a bit so I didn't think we had to stop. We had 4 lines out so I didn't want to risk crossing lines. The video does look like we are going lots faster than we are.

The kicker works fine I just didn't have much gas in it and the main motor trolls at the perfect speed out there. I have a Briggs 4 stroke that I plan to put on the boat because I can just splice into the main fuel line and not have to worry about the extra 2 stroke fuel.
[signature]
Yup, the yellow one was me! That is the roughest water I've ever been in with that boat. It was dry as a bone inside, but we were soaked!
We (my cousin and I) really liked your boat! Is it a Duckworth or Thundercraft? Do you have the Jet drive in yours?
Those boats are about the sturdiest I've ever seen!

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Yea, that Thunderjet belongs to Reelfast, I was out there with him and his wife. We saw you guys on the West side and was hoping you made it back OK. We didn't see any boats out there when we came in but noticed you came in right after us. You must have been close to the entrance to the marina when we came in. WH2
[signature]
We had been fishing the feed lot area when that wind came up so we were not too far from the marina. Thanks for looking out for us!
Randy
[signature]