Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 6/11
Hit Willard with Lunkerhunter2, his son Gage, and my cousin Ryan from Long Beach yesterday afternoon.

After launching the boat, I was headed back down to the water to get in, when I was stopped by two DWR guys with a camera, and they wanted to ask me some questions about the fishing at Willard... on camera. Ok.... I told them I hadn't fished it in a few weeks, but gave them the rundown on the reports I had heard and read in the last little while, along with what had been happening the last time I was out. Don't know what it was for, or if I'll ever see it, but we'll see.

Headed out to the island and began trolling various hardware in search of wipers and walleyes. About 10 minutes or so into trolling, Ryan hooks up on a nice 20" wiper. He doesn't have a lot of fishing experience, but enjoyed the fight of his 1st wiper. Within 5 minutes we got another hookup and LH2 brought in a nice wiper for himself. We made another pass thru the area without anything so we trolled our way to the light pole. En route, Gage scored a nice wiper, and Brody scored a really chunky 21" walleye. Brody also scored a nice kitty on the way out. Trolled past the light pole, parallel with the dike, when I FINALLY got hit, and brought in another nice wiper.

After that, the fishing shut off completely. We didn't manage to land another fish, although we did have a few fish on. I had a nice walleye chase my Rattlin Rapala to the boat, and splash me with water as he turned.

I finally learned to cast my baitcaster worth a %#$^, so that was nice too. Thanks for the fun trip Brody!

(PS, Brody has all of the pics on his camera, so I am sure he will pst them when he gets a chance.)
[signature]
Sorry i didn't get the post done. I had some get-done-now projects. That walleye was 22" btw.[blush] Anyway, it was great fishing with you again and meeting your cousin. I think he had a good time and a little snooze too.
[inline "gage and an eye.JPG"]
[signature]
Nice report guys and nice fish. How big is that wiper in your last photo, it looks as big as the walleye?
[signature]
I think one of the wipers went 23". Sure put up good fights! [Smile]
[signature]
Nice fish boys! Looks like good table fare to me.
[signature]
Dang LH2 I swear you own that lake. Very nice fish gentleman, Gage is going to turn in to the fishing god they way he pulls out the good fish. He is a very cool kid from what little I talked to him when you were all wading up at Willard.
[signature]
We need to get out there in a tube again bro!

I think throwing smaller jigs in the coming weeks will start to produce wipers..... and wipers are so fun on light tackle! [cool]
[signature]
That is what I have heard. I was out there Sat evening and had one taker but I think it was a cat.
[signature]