Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hideout Canyon (Flaming Gorge)
Spent June 7-11 at Hideout Campground fishing for Kokes. We had fun catching those silver rockets. Caught them mostly in the morning before 9 or 10 and then again starting at 7 till dark. Most weighed 2lbs and under and were caught using sling blades followed by humdingers or E-chips, UV squid and a spinner that my neighbor made for me. We caught them using leaded line 5 colors out and downriggers down to 60' all at the same time. They seemed to be everywhere in the collumn. Sat night ( free fishing day) I had everyone at my camp in the boat and made sure they all had caught at least one. The kids as well as adults had a blast.
We served up Kokes for breakfast one morning and they were so good they seemed to melt in my mouth.[Smile]
The days were hot and the nights cold with the water temps ranging from 55-58 deg. we also saw several herds of sheep, a moose and various birds to of prey and a very friendly skunk that visited my camp at night.
I can hardly wait to go again.
[signature]
Nice report Mac, Glad to hear that Shasta Tackle is workin good for ya and catchin fish.

Whjat color blades and humdingers were yoou using?
[signature]
All colors of blades and a purple,blue /silver humdinger. I can't remember the names of all the colors. 2 mph was the most productive speed.
[signature]
Great. thanks
[signature]
Sounds like a real good trip to me.
[signature]
[left]Cool! I'll be up there next month. Were you just fishing the cliffs around hideout or were you out in the middle? There are also some huge trout over in the hideout area. [/left] [left] Those skunks are pretty cool up there we always have at least 2 or 3 in our camp as well. The strange thing is they are so used to human presence that they will actually walk right up to you and not care at all. My goal is get one to eat out of my hand this year, wish me luck.[/left] [left]Hookjaw[/left]
[signature]
Nice report MC, did you make it over to the red cliff area by Sheep creek? I've never seen any mountain goats in that area of the Gorge, just sheep. Did they look like this: WH2
[inline utahmountaingoat.jpg]
[signature]
We'll be up there beginng of next month. It will be my first trip to the gorge. Hopefully we can find some nice fish. I used to live in Alaska and we would go fishing every summer for salmon. It was alot of fun. It seems a little different down here, but it's still fishing so it should be fun.
BGS
[signature]
I'm Pretty sure what you were seeing were Big Horn Sheep. There are a lot of them up in that area.
[signature]
We only fished in Hideout canyon. The only time we were in Sheep Creek was to lanch and retrieve our boats.

You are right, they were sheep I have edited my post.[blush][blush]
[signature]