Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation and Jordanelle
Friday 15,

We hit Starvation and caught about 30 bass but only one was over 12" the perch we seen and some we caught was from 11 to 13 1/2" very nice perch....

Some eyes but no size to the bass, we left at 1:00 and headed for Jordanelle we launched at the Nell at 3:00 (we stopped for lunch) the wind was blowing and fishing on the main lake was hard ....

We headed up the Rock Cliff arm and the wind wasn't so bad we boated over 30 bass over 12" with some over 15" we left at about 6:30 or so and headed home....

It is a BIG differences in a lake with riggs that keep the bass in a lake then one that lets them be taken home what a let down Starvation was for bass....

[signature]
I also think that Starvation goes through a boom/bust cycle. I think the next few years ought to be good...then trouble for many years again. Not a good sustainable forage base in there.
[signature]
If the perch does not get over harvested it will never go throw a boom and bust Yuba will not as well....

This is why, As long as the bigger perch stays there will be small perch for the lake and the predators to eat....

They can't eat the big ones and they will keep spawning and keep the lake going even in low water as long as the spawners live the lake lives.....

No boom or bust but the fisherman in hard years have to not fish or not keep the perch or chubs....

Or the DWR will have to start planting other types of fish like they do trout, Just think how the fishing would be if the DWR didn't plant trout at any time like perch or bass or crapple....

[signature]
Overharvest of perch is not a factor in the crash cycles. That is just a theory of yours that is not based in reality. How are the perch supposed to have a good spawn during heavy drawdown years? And who is keeping chubs? They (chubs) are never kept in numbers by anyone, yet the chub prey base crashed in starvation anyway. Walleye were the culprit, not angler overharvest of the prey base. Walleye and drout years are more to blame in both cases than angler harvest of perch.
[signature]
What ScottyP said X2.
[signature]
X10! [unimpressed]
[signature]
You are not thinking, As long as the bigger perch are in the lake it will keep going...

When the bigger perch is taken out, Who by?? Fisherman And the little perch get eaten then you will have a crash, (no spawning perch) = no food for the predators and why no big fish or spawners????

And Starvation did not crash the chubs was the only food for the big browns and walleyes and bass they only have so many eggs so who lost the bigger fish, but the smaller ones kept it going until the perch came in the picture and now it is starting to get bigger fish but it will take time for them to grow.....

If the fisherman take the bigger perch out of a lake like Yuba or starvation and the predators eat all the small perch your crash will happen Walleye alone will not do it, and drought alone will not do it, and we as fisherman will not do it, but put the fisherman and predator together and it will happen sooner or later.....

The only way to stop this is to plant perch or chubs and other fish like they do trout...

now think how good would our lakes or streams be IF the DWR never planted trout and left it up to them to spawn was the only way like they do all the others...

[signature]
The chubs crashed in Starvation because every one that was caught was killed by ignorant people thinking they were trash fish. I can't see how it would be the walleye's fault, poor management is more like it. There were a couple years where the DWR took out huge amounts of small walleye out so the others could grow bigger but in order to grow they needed a forage base. Unfortunately there wasn't one, then one day about 3 years ago I caught a little perch on a worm harness. A forage base was introduced (illegaly? you decide) and they reproduced like crazy. There is enough structure and big momma' perch to sustain the fishery through low water years as long as there are some enforced regulations.
[signature]
Same old bassrods pipe dream. Why the hell would the DWR ever consider raising chubs and perch in their hatcheries when a few adult spawners can spew tens of thousands of eggs? Your idea still sounds as ludacrous as the first time I heard it. In a nutshell, you are saying the hatcheries should put my license dollars to work by raising baitfish to plant in lakes for the sole purpose of feeding predator fish. That is not cost effective and makes no sense at all when those fish can reproduce so successfully in the wild (so successfully that they eat themselves out of house and home and crash the whole lake). And comparing the stocking of gamefish like trout to stocking chubs is just laughable. Trout are a desirable and sought after gamefish that cannot naturally recruit enough in the typical Utah bathtub to keep anglers happy--hence the hatcheries.
[signature]
fsh4fun05, you honestly think that anglers caught more chubs than were eaten by the walleye? I seriously doubt that. Anglers have never been able to rid a lake of utah chub through harvest. Look at panguitch and strawberry-- once chubs take hold, they take over unless there is a predator that is even more voracious than them (like walleye). Anglers alone can't crash a population of chubs or perch, but walleye sure can!
[signature]
Without adult chubs there is no babies, think about it. We can spend all day comparing other lakes but Starvation is different than a trout pond.
Quote:
This state is so brainwashed that trout is some superior species, doesn't bother me that much except when people are blinded by it.
[signature]
True, but if year after year of fry are devoured, the spawners die off eventually with no one to take their place. This is what may eventually happen at strawberry too. Hopefully the cutts there will adapt to the other food sources the lake has to offer when the chub #'s plummet.
[signature]
Walleye perch and bass are good eatin' much better than the lowly trout... But you have top admit that the Chub is still King! Just ask the Chub Prince. Stock More Chubs!!!
[signature]
I was wondering if the chub prince was going to chime in!
[signature]
Well it's the Carp King chiming in for the Chub Prince, since neither of our kingdoms had been represented in this thread about inferior fish being touted as being a "respectable" species worthy of such a senseless debate.
Just don't be haten' cuz Carp and Chub reign supreme!!! If the other species were strong like Carp and Chub henceforth known across the land as C&C then they might deserve intelligent dialog. Not senseless rantings from the uneducated.
Oh!!! and while we're on the subject of carp be warned TubeDude your indiscriminate murder and execution of the mighty carp does not bode well in the C&C Kingdom, you are hereby commanded to cease your slaughter of such a noble creature or suffer the wrath of the WIND Gods... That's right I said WIND! Ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaa!!!
[signature]
Mr. know it all Scotty p maybe you can tell us dummies this....

How many perch fry live past two years????

How many chubs fry live past two years???

How big is a perch at one year????

How big is a Perch at two years????

Lets use this lake they are in Jordanelle it has perch and chubs..

[signature]
Yes they the DWR has been saying the chubs will soon be gone for years at Starvation but the chubs are still there.....

And at the Berry they tried to kill all the chubs but they are still there too......

[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I'm shakin' in my waders...from laughter. I fear no blowhard dieties. Fie upon them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Anyways...I gots enough carp meat to last for the rest of the year. Maybe next year I will properly humble myself and sacrifice a few trout to the C&C authorities...beseeching permission to harvest a precious few of those (tasty to catfish) beauties.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the meantime, I respectfully suggest that you are wasting your precious time and energy on a "senseless" argument. Just remember...YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL AN OLD FOOL, BUT YOU CAN'T TELL THEM MUCH.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You totally lost me there bassrods. You make even less sense when you're Angry[Tongue]
[signature]
You are so wrong I not mad ...

All you ever do is try to belittle people on there posts, What is your problem you can't catch any fish so you can only hit on others posts....

Come on answer the questions you know it all any way...

Let me give you a hint the DWR has all the answers IF you don't but I thought you know it ALL....

[signature]