Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Fat Wiper
Well it was fat(3.5lb) but only 19 inches long. Great to finally catch that first wiper of the year. We launched at 1:30 from the south marina and the water is still coming in at a good clip down the baffles. Water temp was 51 degrees as we left the marina and headed west. We started off casting at the south dike, when we reached the west dike we had no fish so we started trolling. We trolled to the light pole, again no fish. We had seen fish on the finder the whole way and water temp was down to 44 degrees. We tried trolling slow and
faster(1.5 to 2.5mph), we through crankbaits and jigs and trolled with worm harnesses. Finally we went to the south east corner and started trolling in 15ft of water again no fish caught but water temp was up to 48 degrees. When we reached the big power pole that turns south the water temp went up to 49 degrees and we caught our one and only wiper. We were in 8 or 9ft of water trolling with a 3in. shallow running FT rapala. We went over the area several more times but no luck so we trolled to the feed lot and gave up. As we entered the channel to the south marina there was the guy that I had seen last week catching wipers from shore. He and his son and another guy had caught several wipers and a nice 24in walleye.
It was a lot of fishing for one wiper but I guess you have to start somewhere. There were about a dozen boats on the water and at least 25 or more people fishing the shore line in several locations. It was windy and cloudy day but at least it did not rain.
Hey Skeeter, how did you do? WH2
[signature]
im still waiting to hear of this fake lake full of halfbreeds doing good. oh well. at least you caught a wiper.
[signature]
I just ended up with a couple of walleyes and that was about it. Like you I did alot of fishing for a couple of fish but it was nice to be on the water.
[signature]
Hey Skeeter, I never saw you in the S/W corner, what area did you fish? WH2
[signature]
I started out in the south west corner but I only fished for about a half hour and then I had to take the family home. I came out later that evening and thats when I caught my fish, along the west dike.
[signature]
hey fishboy,

halfbreeds that will smoke your drag like no other. go give it a try once the reporsts say water levels are 55 or so. it will be rockin, i hope.
[signature]
thats what i have heared but i have yet to experience it. in fact i have yet to hear a good report. but i am more than willing to give it a try.
[signature]
little early still but they will be comign soon yeee haaaa
[signature]