Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Round Sand Fish
We fished Round Lake, Sand Lake, and Fish Lake in the unitas on Saturday. It was awesome. My wife, dad, father-in-law, brother-in-law, and sister-in-law packed in on our horses early Saturday morning to the three lakes. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful ride. The trail is real steep and real rocky so I was thankful to be on the horses. The lakes are about 3 miles in but you climb about 2500 Ft in those four miles. Anyway the fishing was great. I was fly fishing while the rest were using a fly and a bubble. I bet we caught over a hundred fish. All but twenty or so were artic grayling with the rest being cutthroats. It didn't matter what kind of fly we used as long as it floated. We mainly used mosquito pattern flies and didn't need to change. We tool our dog Jack with us on the hike into the lake. He is a weimereiner/vizla mix. We were in about two mile and the cabin is another mile or so from the trail head. Anyway, Jack decided to disappear about 8:30 in the morning and we didn't see him for the remainder of the day. My dad and I figured we would never see him again. We had pretty much given up on trying to find Jack. If anybody had been to that area it is huge country and very trecherous. Looking for Jack was like the old cliche a needle in a haystack. So in the afternoon we packed up and headed down the mountain all the while calling for Jack. He was no where to be seen. As we rounded the corner to the cabin all the sudden Jack came running off the porch barking for us. I was amazed. Jack had covered at least three miles to get back to the cabin. It was like a mini Incredible Journey. He had to go through two rivers and get on the right trail to get back home. I really didn't give him enough credit. We all were really amazed he ahd made it back from so far. It wrapped up a great day. Great fishing with those you love in an area very few people have ever been to.
That sounds like a fun trip! Did you ride in to the lakes from the north or south? I am thinking of heading up that way this weekend but am not too sure about the hike. Do you think a fat guy could make it back there with a light pack?[unsure] I really would love to get into the grayling!
[signature]
I hiked in there once with the scouts. It almost killed me. That is a steep hike but the fishing is worth it. Glad you found your dog. Mine did that once to me also it is a relief when they are at the end of the trail waiting for you looking like they were wondering if you got lost or something.
[signature]
Try Marjorie in the high uintas. It is about 3 miles but very easy to get to. Do a search of my posts from last summer on Marjorie and read about the trip. Way too fun.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the suggestion. That sounds like it might be a better option. Can you give me dirrections coming from Provo to the trail head?
[signature]
We went in from the North side. The trail head is called Dry fork. It is a steep hike, but there were three heavier guys who made it up there. I think it would take you about three hours to get to round lake by foot. If you decide to go I would just fish round lake. We fished all three but round lake had the biggest fish and they were very agressive. The hike would be tough but well worth the fishing and the scenery. I would do it again in a heart beat with or without horses.
One more thing I forgot to add. I have talked with a couple of guys who went into fish lake from the Mirror lake highway. They said it is not to bad of a hike. I don't know how far it is though. Also, if you go to fish lake take your binoculars and glass the cliffs on the southwest side of the lake. You can't miss the cliffs they are huge. Anyway, you should be able to see a colony of the rocky mountain goats. They are pure white and stick out like a sore thumb on those cliffs. It is pretty cool to see considering they are at about 11200 ft. Also, we saw a nice buck way up in there near sand lake. I don't think he had ever seen anything like us before beacuse we were 30 yards away on horses and he just sat there and looked at us. Normally the deer are terrified of the horses.
Going through kamas it is behind Washington Lake and it's trailhead. The forest service will have free maps for you. Sorry, i can't do any better than that. I could take you but telling you is kind of hard.
[signature]
I used to lose my dog in the High Uintas all the time. He always showed up back at camp hours later.

Any size to the grayling this year?
[signature]
The biggest grayling we found were in Round lake. They averaged about 12 inches. It was a pleasant surprise. Sand Lake had the smallest. Fish lake they were about 8 inches and seemed to be spawning.
Sounds fun. They are a cool fish. Only good to eat fresh though.
[signature]
That sounds like a great trip. Did you guys rent the cabin? If so, do you have any contact information so I can try to rent it? The wife really wants to rent a cabin for a weekend so I might as well find one close to some good hiking and fishing!!
[signature]
No we didn't rent. The cabin has been in my family for years. I have spent every summer I can remember up there. I think you acn rent some though. You could try the Holiday park or alpine acres cabin associations.
It was the vizla in him that got him lost. It was the weimereiner in him that got him back to the cabin. As one dog lover to another, nothin quite matches the feelin of seeing your thought-to-be-lost pooch round the corner for that where-the-hell you been reunion. Glad your story had a happy ending.
[signature]
That gave me a great laugh. That is so true about the where-the-hell ya been reunion. LOL!