Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle 06/21/07
Got up to Jordanelle at about 5:50a.m. We were hoping to catch up with Bassrods but never did spot him, maybe next time.

Headed across from Halestone and fished the east shorline. I tried some topwaters just to see if something would come up and play. I tried a buzzbait, Skitter Pop, and finally a Zara Spook. The Zara Spook was the ticket and after a couple of boils and short strike I hooked up with a small but very game smallie. He pulled like crazy and ran all over the place. Tons of fun.

Dad was getting tired of casting so I set up a drop shot rig exactly how Bassrods showed us at the demonstration last Tuesday up in Murray with a gamakatsu drop shot hook, a 1/4oz mojo sinker and a 3 inch Gulp smelt. I dropped it down and demonstrated to my dad how to keep it on the bottom and just kind of shake the lure without moving it. I handed him the rod, turned my back and heard the drag start screaming! First I thought he must have hung it up on something, but then I realized that we weren't moving and the rod was jumping and bending over. That fish just about bent the 7ft MH rod in half. More drag, more drag, shake, shake, etc. I could not figure out what it could have been (I had bass on the mind and kind of forgot about the big browns that you hear about up at Jordanelle). Sure enough, it was a great big brown trout the barely fit in the net. He measured out at 30" and weighed in at just under 9lbs!

Dad waffled whether or not to keep him, I tried to get him to release it, but he really wanted to keep it--in the end though, we got him back in the water and he seemed to swim off little the worse for wear--I think dad is regretting that he didn't keep him, so we will just have to go back and catch him again. I am kicking myself now for not getting more and better pictures--these just don't do it justice, but you can still see he is a pretty hefty guy--the fish, not my dad.

We ended up catching around a dozen bass on various lures--quite a few using the techniques I learned at the demonstration (so keep those demos coming TubeDude!) Also caught this fat little perch wacky rigging a senko as instructed by Bassrods. Pretty fish and really healthy looking. We also hooked up with a healthy planter bow.

The weather was awesome and just when the wave runners and wakeboarders started coming out in force the wind picked up and we headed out.

It was a great time, I can't wait to go again, hopefully we will find you up there Bassrods!

PS. I included some of the pics from out trip to Strawberry from a couple of weeks ago.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Excellent. I'll bet your dad has a new respect for your fishing abilities. Hand him a rod that is locked and loaded and WHAM.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We will have more gatherings on other topics too. I'm sure that a lot of other BFTers would love the chance to rassle a nice brown like that. I'll bet your dad drools a little when he tells folks about it. I would.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I told him I get at least half credit for it (my rod, my sinker, my lure, my hook, my spot) but it is HIS boat so I guess I have to let him have it.
[signature]
Wow! What a beast. Congrats to your dad! And props for releasing that bad boy!
[signature]
In reply to: [#0000ff][size 1]I'm sure that a lot of other BFTers would love the chance to rassle a nice brown like that.[/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1][/size][/#0000ff]
[font "Arial Black"][black]Those are the kind of browns that I dream about. Congrats on the catch![/black][/font]
[signature]
[cool]NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a hawg slimer! That looks like the same fish that Bass Ackward lost under the ice there about three months ago...DOH!!!! Way to go on getting your dad into that brute. I've gotta learn dropshotting soon. That seems to be the best method for big fish on Jordanelle. Congrats on a great day up there...
[signature]
HookJaw, you'll be glad to know that the first thing I thought of when I saw that brown's big ole hooked mouth was your avatar and your screen name...the far reaching influence of BFT.
[signature]
Sweet fish . Congrats to your dad .
[signature]
If you catch him again take lots of pics and have a replica made then you will always have him with you that was a very nice catch i dream about fish like that[cool]
[signature]
Nice fish and great report. Maybe someday I willl catch something like that.
How about showing a fellow Heberite your new found technics since I had to work the night of the seminar.
[signature]
I'm not from Heber, but I'm sure that TubeDude would probably be game for setting up another demonstration sometime--for me, the most useful information was some of the finer points of getting the hook to stand up the right way and what kinds of lures to use on the rig. What I need a lot of help with where to actually fish the rig on a given lake--what to look for on the shore and how that translates into what is beneath me in the water. Now that would be a good seminar (hint, hint...[Wink])
[signature]