Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Stroke motor's
When Danzilla was over we were discussing the fact of running your 2 stroke out of gas before you trailer it to get the gas out of the carbs. Just curious as to who does this? I'm not going to take sides and say its good or bad, was just wondering who does it?
[signature]
It is actually recommended by most of the boat shops around. Gas evaporates and leaves the gummy oil left in the carbs. This can inhibit your performance, and lead to early carb failure. Just think of how difficult those little 2 stroke weed wackers are to start after a couple of winters with old gas sitting around in the carbs. Just my two cents.
[signature]
When I had my boat worked on at Lee's marina he said to run the
motor out of gas also. He also said it was more important during the winter when the motor is going to be sitting for a long time, if it is just going to be a week or so it is not as important but it won't hurt. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I run the fuel out of my motor because I don't think it's wise to store fuel in the carb(s) for the reasons mentioned above. Any motor that will be stored for any period of time should be run dry of fuel.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Probably the best thing you can do to your fuel is add a fuel stabilizer. This will help stop the "gumming up" of your carb(s) from the evaporatrion of fuel in your motor. Supposedly there is "fresh gas" and it can break down over time. If you believe everything you hear, gas is consider "old" after only three weeks of manufacture. That's why fuel stabilzers are so important for engines that are infrequently used.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Being a 2 stroke and the oil being needed to lubricate, doesnt this harm the motor?
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] I agree with the guys, I just got a trolling motor myself and the guy that I bought it from said to do that very thing. So I am going to do that very thing.[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
I have a '76 85 HP Johnson on my boat and I have heard several theories on that practice. I have heard of not doing it just because some parts of the carburetor that are made of rubber need to stay wet, i.e. float bowl, etc. I have never run the gas of my motor just because I don't want to hold up the line at the boat ramp. I have also made it a habit to run Stabil on my big motor all season, I figure it doesn't hurt its efficiency at all, and also a safeguard if I don't use the boat for three weeks or more, which I think would be sacreligious in itself, and so far no trouble on that big motor. On the other hand, I run the gas out of the motor on my smaller motors. I had an 8 HP Yamaha that would give me trouble if I didn't run the gas out after an outing. If I run the gas out, that Yammie would start on the first pull on the next outing. I also run the gas out on my 2 HP Evinrude trolling motor after using it on the water. I wonder what the owner's manual say on this matter. Just curious.

Kastmaster

Kastmaster
[signature]
The oil is in the fuel, so as long as there is firing in the cylinders, there will be lubrication. Even if you run it out of gas.
[signature]
I have not only been told to do this with an outboard, but also with my old 2 stroke Polaris ATV. The mechanic at the shop I go to said that when I was getting ready to store it for even as little as a month, I should run some stabalized gas through it for about 20 minutes, then shut the fuel off and let it die on its own. He also reccommended draining any remaining fuel in the tank. He did mention that since it is oil injected and not run on a mix that I could get away without doing this a few times, but over the long run it would result in a nasty carb rebuild/replacement. Well the ATV is now over 10 years old and has seen a lot of hard action yet still never fails to fire up even on the coldest mornings.
I understand also that it is a good idea to run them dry. I can't say that I do it every time, but I make sure to do it when I'm not sure how long it will be until my next trip. I run both of my 2's out for winter storage. I haven't noticed any problems as long as I am running the boat at least every 2 weeks. If I go longer than that with gas in the carbs, I have had some fouling problems as well as heavy residue out the exhaust port. Hope it helps.
[signature]
I have always run the gas out of my motor,if you think about it when you trailer your boat and lift the motor it gonna and will come out the air intake orphes in the carbs.which clogs them when the gas evaporates.

I have had outboards for years and never have problems with carbs when I bot the boat I could tell they never did this,and I had to clean the carbs out,I do not run sea foam,but I do run stablizer,And when I said I had to clean them up I didn't take them off the motor,I took the top off,Had the wife run the boat at full throttle accross the lake and I spread Carb Cleaner into the throat and into the air intakes,the boat started to run better and better,JUST A NOTE,I did take it to the shop and they said it was running fine,I took it back out and it was running the same way,It would start fine,idle fine,but when I would put the hammer down,it would chock and cough like crazy,Its a 1997 and shouldn't have had the problem if they would have ran the fuel out of the motor when they trailered it,I have not had to do it again since then,probably wont have to as long as I own it.

Later,Tony[cool]
[signature]
Thx for the great info on this topic all. It seems there is no harm in doing it, so I guess I will start [Wink]
[signature]
[blue][size 2]I'm with Kastmaster--I don't do it. I've heard plenty of arguments both ways and this is about the only place I've ever seen the "DO's" beat the "DON'Ts".[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]First off, I always run Sea Foam through my gas to stabilize and to remove varnish and carbon build-up. Second, I've heard that running it out of gas can dry out seals, etc. Third, I'd rather baby my cylinders than my carbs.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 2]I'm no mechanic, but I think this is an area even some mechanics disagree on.[/size][/#0000ff]
Ok I'll jump in now.

Gasoline starts to varnish in 60 days. I run a fuel stabilizer in my outboards so I dont get that varnish in my carbs. I run it completely empty when I know that it isn't going to be started in a few weeks.

also I spray a fogging agent in my carbs after I run it out ( it'll stay running as long as you spray it into the carbs) the fogging agent sticks to the internal workings of the engine. I also recomend to take the spark plugs out and spray some fogging agent into the spark plug holes and replacing the plugs just because it keeps the cylender walls lubricated.

90% of all outboard repairs are carberation caused by contaminates in the fuel, if my motors are sitting and not running for a couple weeks I dont worry about anything because I've got some stabilizer in it to keep the fuel fresh.

I learned this from the previous owner of my boat its a 1967 johnson 80hp and its only breakdown to date has been an impellor that should have gotten changed before hitting the water.

Just my 2 cents D
[signature]