Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12 and 13 year olds need a license on 7/1/07?
I don't believe that it has been discussed on here before, but the legislature passed a law requiring 12 and 13 year olds to purchase a $5.00 fishing license. The law is effective 7/1/07, so I am assuming that beginning on that date a fishing license is required. I tried to get a copy of the new law, but in the couple minutes that I had I was unable to get one. Here is one link to information regarding all new license fees beginning on 7/1/07:

[#800080][url "http://wildlife.utah.gov/licenses/license_fees.php"]http://wildlife.utah.gov/licenses/license_fees.php[/url][/#800080][url "http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/licenses/license_fees_new.php"][/url]
[signature]
Nice catch there Kent. Looks like that's the case. [cool]
[signature]
Another way the state is suking money out of us, now even at an earllier age, and they will just give themselves a raise. I can picture them at a meeting trying to figure out how to increase there salary and saying lets screw the kids.

sorry Im very bitter about this. Almost as bitter as DWR tradding our Elk herds for Turkeys.
[signature]
I actually have no problem with this. I don't think the $5 fee is too much, and I don't think it is going to salaries.

Our DWR is under funded and under manned.
[signature]
I was not aware of this. What a crock. I would rather pay an extra $5 on my license or even $10 so that the kids up to 14 get to fish for free. I can just see it now. The sobbing 12 yr old, standing next to his bike at Willow pond while the CO explains to him he is now a poacher and that his fishing tackle and bike are to be confiscated as per the law.

Nice way to promote the sport. Maybe the judge can take away his fishing priviliges in all of the cooperating states for 5 years. That should really help the sport.

Stop treating kids like adults, they are not adults, they are kids. Mostly kids who want a cheap way to relax and maybe, just maybe, find a way to relax for the rest of their lives.
[signature]
I agree with the lawmakers on this. I don't think that kids should be out fishing at all! They should be indoors playing violent video games or joining gangs on the streets. Besides, the current fishing laws are too simple anyhow.
[signature]
It's been a while since I read the details on this, but here's what I think I remember. For every $1 that the DWR raises in license fees, the federal gvmt gives them something like $3. This money goes straight to the dwr and not into the general fund? Along with this the dwr is renaming the small-game license to a hunting license, and requiring those purchasing a hunting permit to first have a small-game license. This will require the resident & out of state applicants to contribute something to the dwr before being granted the opportunity hunt here. Again, the federal gvmt matches the money for the license. That's what I think I remember. Take it for what it's worth, knowing that it's been a couple of months.

I think this is really good, and if you really think about it, even if you only went fishing a couple of times, what percentage of the cost of a fishing trip would that $5 represent.
[signature]
I seem to recall reading a story with the explanation ram4x gives. Im sure the children recieve plenty back for the $5. Community ponds. etc. And should not be such a huge factor that it will keep anyone from going fishing. And i doubt the CO would take the kids bike and pole. I know a few who have gotten tickets at the Berry and they didnt lose their truck etc.
[signature]
Let the kids fish for free!!! If the state needs more money let them do a fund raiser. Something like having a June Sucker fish fry. I understand that they are quite tasty with a little tarter sauce. LOL But seriously I think the future of fishing lies in the hands of our youth. My greatest memories with my Dad was the few fishing trips that we took together. The interest for fishing in Utah has dropped over the years so why take a chance and further discourage our young people from becoming anglers. Raise the other fees if they must, but leave the kids alone!
[signature]
im with you let the kids go to the pond for fun its alot better than getting in trouble
[signature]
That's all I'm saying. If they need more $ come to us adults that work for a living and have an extra $5. They would still get the 3 for every one deal with the feds.

I didn't have to get a fishing licence until I was 16. I was working then and I already loved fishing so much that I bought it and one every year sinse then. This year I have a UT w/2nd pole, Idaho, Wyoming, Florida and New York fishing licences.
We want our kids to become like me. Think of how much fed$ I have helped these states get. Won't happen if we don't get kids to fish.
[signature]
Every time anyone buys fishing gear, the federal government adds a surtax. The sponsers of the legislation were Senators Dingle, and Johnson. The funds generated are redistributed back to the states (all 50 of them) and are called Dingle- Johnson funds. When we don't require licenses for our 12 and 13 year olds, while other states do, we allow that money to go to other states. It wasn't very long ago that the age for licenses was 12 or older. The fishermen of Utah were subsidizing the fishermen of other states. For each license that the state sells, they recieve about $15 in Dingle-Johnson funds. So, for $5 the state gets $20. If a kid, or his parents can't afford a license, they can't afford a video game.

Fishrmn
Perhaps you could put a positive spin on this. Maybe a portion
of this $5 dollars could go into planting fish into these "community
ponds"

I find it hard to believe that a kid or parent cannot come up with $5
dollars to buy a fishing license. Maybe this kid could mow a lawn
and appreciate the license even more.

Fishing and Hunting are the best values out there.
[signature]
If parents are going to let $5 determine if they are going to buy their kid a license or not.....then shame on them. It is a small price to pay for the limitless opportunities we have been afforded by the DWR.
[signature]
Totally agree. I grew up in farming country and I tell you I worked harder at 12 years old than I do now that I'm couped up in an office. It doesn't hurt a kid at all to have to work a little for a measly 5 bucks. What a cheap way to show them that there is a cost to things. I'm totally behind this.

In reality, the parents will pay the 5 bucks, so it's not like the kids are being punished here. It would only be better if the law required that the kid work for the money themselves.
[signature]
There is an exception for scout-type groups. Here's what I received from DWR:

House bill 59:Exemption from fishing license. Authorizes residents younger than 14 years old to fish during a youth organization activity without a fishing license if the organization receives proper documentation. It requires the adult leader to instruct the youth members on fishing laws. The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources will provide educational materials on fishing laws. The Youth Organizations is a non-profit group like the boy scouts of America or the girl scouts of USA. On the website will be a form to be filled out by the adult leader of the group that they will need to have on them. It will be available July 1st. The forms will contain: The date and place of the fishing; the name of the adult leader that will supervise the fishing; and the activity is officially sanctioned by the youth organization.

I plan to check into this for the scouts I work with. I'll update if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
[signature]