Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
willard walleye no wiper
Hit willard 06/23/07 on the water at 6a.m. off at 11am in search for wiper, but could not keep catfish or walleyes off the line. Pulled cranks-2 on a planer and 2 straight back. Caught 4 eyes that were 16-18" #2, 2 @21 just under 3# and one that went 3.5# 23 inches long. Never put a single wiper in the boat and 5 2-3# cats all pulling crank baits.
Kinda weird for me to pull cranks for that long and never pick up a single wiper(not comlaining at all catching that size of eye's , personal best eye) actually suprised the walleye were putting up quite a fight compared to last few years out there, typically i drag walley on the planer boards for a while before realizing but these were hitting very hard and putting up a good fight. Did anybody else experience that this weekend.
[signature]
im sure i saw ya out there. did you launch out of the south? we only caught wipers wish we would have got a few wallises
[signature]
I experienced a bit of the same myself. We had quite a few hits that never hooked up and the two that did were both walleyes. Very strange. This was on Friday. We did spot a few boils around the island but when we tried to pull up next to them there was another boat that would head straight into the boil and spook them. I am not real sure what people are thinking. It's real frustrating to watch someone spook a large boil by mowing them over. We quickly learned that we were not going to be able to fish the boils with that activity going on.
[signature]
if you ever want to hit it give me a call im off all day tell 3
[signature]
no we launched out of the north marina, there was another trophy out there that was a center console, i was in a hard top. Never seen any boils but there was alot of surface action carp, i prefer wipers seeing i always catch and release so the better the fight the more fun.
[signature]
Had similiar experience this weekend at Williard, Fri, 22 June, 6 -10 pm... 3 hits trolling crank baits, one hit on the fly rod, caught up to a small boil, premature hook set, hate that when it happens. Caught 0.

Sun 6 am 10 am. One 15 " walley one 18" catfish at the island. Wipers have lock jaw...all fish returned to water.

Note on gates at south marina. both gates (in and out) locked. I was there at 5 am. Tried the drive slow, it may open, did not work for me. At 5:30 the out gate opened up. I went in.

Question on the island. I fished it from the kayak, it is 1.6 ft shallow... it has many holes in the mud/clay surface...ping pong ball, golf ball, and tennis ball size holes.... would these be crab holes....?
[signature]
Definately not crabs. I am not sure what they would be. Good ?
[signature]
The island is mainly rock of the type you would find around a volcano, very porous, lots of air pockets or holes.
[signature]