Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice needed on dry ice
I have never used dry ice before and I was thinking of getting some to keep our minnows frozen for a three-day fishing trip. How much do I need to keep a couple dozen large (6 to 10 inches long) minnows frozen? How long will dry ice last in a small cooler? Do I need to leave the lid sligtly open to allow for venting? I know that one can get burnt if they touch it, but if anyone has any other information/advice they want to share it would be appreciated.
[signature]
A pair of rubberized gloves will do the trick to help avoid the freeze burn. You can find them at the local hardware stores in the cement tools area. I'm not sure how long it will last though. I don't think it could build enough pressure in a small cooler to launch the lid.
[signature]
I use dry ice all the time on those long camp trips. The trick is to lay down a layer of ice then layer your dry ice and then a layer of ice. Place your goodies on top of the crushed ice and cover with the crushed ice. You should have ice for at least four days
[signature]
I've used dry ice(DI) several times and never had a problem by keeping the cooler totally closed at all times unless you are getting your bait out. How much you need depends on how big your small cooler is. If it is the size that someone might use for taking a lunch to work(hard cooler), I would say you could get two pounds plus or minus, depending on the exact size you have. If it were me, I would go down to where you plan on getting the DI and looking at what they have to get an idea what will fit. Dry Ice chunks come in different sizes but they are usually about inch thick. I would put the fish on the bottom, then a small hand towel between the fish and the dry ice so they doesn't touch, then another small towel on top. The gloves are a good idea but I have just used the towels that I mentioned above to move the pieces around when you are getting the bait out. Remember the more you open your cooler the faster the DI will melt. Good luck, hope this helps.
[signature]
Thanks for the replies guys.
[signature]
They store dry ice next door where I work and they don't even keep it in cold storage . Just big tubs with lids . Stuff must not melt very fast .
[signature]