Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rabbit Gulch Report 6-26-07
[cool][#0000ff]LloydE wanted to go chase some walleyes/perch at Starvation and to dust off his Kennebec (tube). So, we launched about 7ish in 63 degree water, to the east of the "comfort station" at Bunny Gulch. Would have launched at the end of the road, where I usually launch, but the water is dropping fast and it was already too shallow there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was on the water before Lloyd. I boasted that I would catch a fish on my first cast. I did. A nice "basket perch". Caught perch or smallies on several of the next few casts too. Lloyd was so anxious to get out in the water he almost launched without his tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The larger perch were in less than 12 feet of water early. We each got several nice ones. I kept only those that were 10" or larger...including several of 11'' and 12". Got two that went just over 13". Toads. Fun. Bajillions of smaller perch. We both released many that would be great 9"ers for the basket on most waters.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I told Lloyd that it was okay if he caught the first walleye. So, he did...maybe 12 inches, but a walleye. In his excitement he dunked his lunch bag. See the picture of him pouring water from the blue bag. Thankfully the good stuff was inside a plastic bag and stayed dry.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We mostly fished water too shallow for good walleye action, but I also scored a 14" wallie, and a grundle of small smallmouths.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Only a very light north breeze first thing this morning, then absolute glass until almost noon. Then a bit of a south breeze started up, but never became a problem. Only a couple of ski boats and PWC came back in the Gulch today and they stayed ar enough away that they weren't a problem.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The big fish disappeared by midmorning but we caught lots of the little perch and smallies after that. Decided to bag it early, since the bite had shut off. Water temp was up to 67 when we hit shore about 1.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We used a wide variety of small tubes, 3" twisters, roadrunners and small jigging spoons...tipped with worm or perch bits. We caught something on just about everything we tried. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
You're making me jealous, TD. Can you tell me how much the water has dropped? I'm headed up that way this weekend and need to plan my attack.
[signature]
Sounds like another great trip Pat. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
Sounds like you and Lloyd had a great day, those perch are really getting big. What did they have in their stomachs?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I fished "Hungry" twice in the last month...5/25 and 6/13. My best guess, based upon the spot I usually launch, is that it has dropped about 5 feet from my first trip, but almost 3 feet just in the last two weeks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Both of the walleyes we caught came from about 14 feet of water, before noon. Lloyd hooked one small walleye, on a jigging spoon, in 25 feet of water right about noon, but lost it while hoisting it into his tube (wails of anguish).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I stated, we were not aggressively pursuing the eyes. I am sure that a properly rigged worm harness, presented in the right place at the right speed, would have been effective.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Blood, slime, bacteria and baby perch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Do you want the official CSI report?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice report. Those are some really nice perch! They look much healthier this year.

I think a few could make the trophy board! [angelic]
[signature]
[black]Sounds like you and Lloyd had a fun trip. I believe every word that you typed (Of course a fellow angler would never stretch the truth[Wink]) except for, "Thankfully the good stuff was inside a plastic bag and stayed dry." I have had the pleasure of sampling some of the food that Lloyd takes on his fishing trips, and trust me he doesn't eat any "good stuff". For those who haven't had the pleasure of fishing with Lloyd, Lloyd is on a doctor-prescribed diet, which is extremely low fat (the food I sampled was zero fat), and low-fat food sure tastes bland.[/black]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I remember your warning to "Never accept any food items offered by Lloyd"...for the reasons you just outlined. Unlike yourself, I have never sampled the contents of his "survival kit". My comments about "good stuff" was relevent to Lloyd's perspective...not my own.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I strongly object to even the vague reference that I may have taken liberties with "the truth"...just for the sake of a clever post. I prefer to keep my "stretching exercises" to more pertinent matters...like the quanities and sizes of my own catch.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Kent --- Food is "good stuff" when you are hungry. You do eventually get used to low fat food, even some of the "no fat" food.

Wish you had been with us. The fishing was great, and catching walleye was even greater. You know my passion for walleye fishing. This trip we fished for the perch, and the walleye were just dessert. I couldn't believe how those big perch fought. They were really "fun" to catch.

Pat is a great mentor. I was able to hone up my jigging skills yesterday watching and questioning him. I may even get to be as good as you, if I continue to observe the great fisherman I have been able to fish with this year. There is no better "fishing" education one can get than by watching TubeDude work the water from his tube. He is unbelieveable. For every fish I caught, he caught about five or six --- maybe even more!

Good luck on your Sturgeon trip.

Lloyd
[signature]
[size 1]"Kent --- Food is "good stuff" when you are hungry. You do eventually get used to low fat food, even some of the "no fat" food."[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1][black][size 2]Lloyd, you are probably right, but it will never replace Tater Babies or a Strawberry Malt.[/size][/black][Tongue][/size]

Yep, fishing with Pat can be a humbling experience. He is in a league of his own when it comes to his fish-catching ability. But let's just keep this between ourselves, his ego is already big enough.[Wink]
[signature]
[cool]Congrats on another great trip up to the big pond on the hill. I look forward to fishing that joint for my first time within the next month...
[signature]
"[size 1]There is no better "fishing" education one can get than by watching TubeDude work the water from his tube. He is unbelieveable. For every fish I caught, he caught about five or six --- maybe even more!"[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]That about summed it up right there! With the risk of inflating Pat's ego, I must say, 'the Dude' is the best fisherman I've ever been privilaged to fish with.[/size]

I can't wait to fish with him again.
[signature]
Sweet trip to Starvation there Dude. Makes me jealous .... well almost I got some fishin in also.
I do miss the fat perch!! Sounds like an excellent trip. Maybe next one for me.
[signature]
Hey Pat,

A friend and I took a quick trip to Starvation about two weeks ago on a Saturday. We launched my tin can at Rabbit Gulch about 7:45 a.m. I landed the first perch, about a 9-incher, very soon after we launched, and that was about the biggest we caught all day. We caught a bajillion smaller perch for the next few hours, which were all promptly released due to their diminutive size.

Bad news: no walleye. Good news: We caught several nice smallmouth out from the big rocks, off to the side of the site where you and I launched last year. One smallmouth went 19.5" and was very hefty and healthy.

I let my friend have the three perch I kept that were just big enough to get some nice fillets off of, which added to the two or so he kept gave him enough fixin's for a nice dinner. He graciously let me take home his big ol' smallie (sorry Bassrods) and a few other nice smallmouth he and I had kept, and boy were they tasty.

I dipped the fillets in a flour mixture seasoned with Old Bay, salt, and pepper; fried them in olive oil with a pad of butter tossed in; and once out of the plate, drizzled them with freshly squeezed lemon juice. Wow! My family and I couldn't wolf them down fast enough (sorry again, Bassrods).

Since you introduced me to that little rabbity area, it has become a favored place to fish. Many thanks, and gracias for the fine report and pics.
[signature]
I keep being told bass is real tasty I just have never tried it.
[signature]
GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr [laugh] You won't know how they taste ever if I'm fishin' with ya!!! However, surely you'll sample the goods next time ya fish with Chris!!!! [Tongue]
[signature]