Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 30 Jun
Well a friend rented a 14 ft aluminum boat for the weekend so we hit up willard tonight. We set in at the south marina and headed out to the island. Right away I had a wiper and lost him at the boat. so we trolled around the island a few times and ventured west a little were we found a bunch of carp. Headed back near the island and it was starting to get dark. Well the boat we rented from base didn't have any lights so we were starting to head in when we got pulled over by the po-po. They said we needed lights and our glow sticks weren't cutting it so we had to head in. so we headed for the south marina. Thats when I hooked into a small walleye. When I got it on board it was really tangled in another line so I was working on that when a boil popped up right in front of us and my buddy threw in his line and pulled out a nice wiper. But as soon as it started it was gone. So we kept heading for the marina. Right near the buoy I hooked into what felt like a buick. It fought and fought and I worked it for a long time until eventually my line gave way and the fish took my lucky lure. Everything I have caught at willard in the last few weeks minus the walleye was on that lure. Well theres my report. Finally I have one. I saw a few other BFT'ers out there how did ya'll do. Oh and we set in around 7:00 PM and came in around 10:30 PM.
[signature]
Glad you were able to tangle with a few. I'll bet the buick was a nice wiper. They fight as hard as anything (pound for pound) that I have ever caught. [cool]
[signature]
Rileyfish and i where out there yesterday morning and it was pretty slow for us 1 wiper and 1 kittie
[signature]
i saw you guys getting pulled over last night i was the one with the two kids asking all the questions white and blue bayliner anyway 5 catfish kids got all of those i didnt get anything another fun trip for themSad not meWink
[signature]
What did you get the cats on Remo?
[cool]
[signature]
Yes I bet it was a very nice wiper. It hit and ran. It took alot of my line and my drag wasn't all that light. But I fought it too hard and lost him. So there is a wiper out there with a rapala and some red line in his lip. I am now switching to braided line. I have one reel that is braided and one that was not so now I am switching it all over. [pirate]
[signature]
Hey, thanks for the post. Me and a couple of friends are talking about going out there tomorrow night. We have had success on black/silver and blue/silver rapalas. We have been hooking into everything possible on the rapalas. Hopefully we have luck.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]I too was out there when the water patrol was out warning folks of lights. They came up behind me and then seen my front nav lights and then took off for you.

As for fishing, it was crappy for me and my partner. But the next night, Saturday night, all hell broke loose and we had the best wiper day ever. Watch for my post coming out soon.[/#002850][/font][/size]
[signature]
I want to take my wife fishing at Willard, but the last time I took her the bugs were so bad she said she didn't want to go again. How are the bugs this time of year?

Lloyd
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Still pretty bad. After sundown I breathed in several! And this time of year, they are mosquitoes ... not just nats.[/#002850][/font][/size]
[signature]
We were out this morning and the bugs got worse when the sun came out. I found some 100% Deet the AF gave use to spray our uniforms with when we go to Iraq. You can't spray it on the skin or breathe it but I had enough and tryed to spray them and they liked it. It seemed to attract them.

And Old Coot, it figures that Sat night was better. We went out to Mantua to try our luck and would rather have stayed at Willard. I am hooked on Wipers. We set in the morning round 6:30 and got out around 11. Caught 2 walleyes on rapalas. Near the middle.

Whose white Dodge is that with the BFT sticker on the side windows and back one? Mine is the Black Chev with the Iowa sticker on the back and BFT in the corner. Hope to run into some people out there sometime. I mostly tube but this weekend we rented a boat.
[signature]
That white dodge was me. I don't remember seeing your truck.
[signature]
Where did you rent a 14ft Aluminum boat from??? PM me some info, I would love to rent a boat.
[signature]
I think he gets it on base. [cool]
[signature]
Yes I got it on base. I am not aware of any places off base that rent. If you do find a place let me know. Hell maybe we should buy a fleet of little boats and rent them out. Whose with me.
[signature]
I'd be down for that. I have been looking for a 14ft boat for years now and I just can't find one at the price that I want.
[signature]
You can borrow my 12'er if you want. Won't need it till october.[Wink]
[signature]
How much are the Boat rentals up at the base, If you don't mind me asking? I might have a few connections up there that could get me a boat.
[signature]
I think all their gear is free, they just have to check it out like a library.
[signature]
None of the stuff they rent is free, I have a list of all the things they have and a 14' boat/motor cost $30 a day and $45 a weekend. This is last years list, so there is a chance it could have gone up. They also rent a 16 ft boat & motor for $40 and $60. or a boat with out a motor for $17 and $25.50. WH2
[signature]