Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STURGEON 6-28th thru 6-30th Hot Report!
Flyanddrive, Bigfishrule and I went after the mighty white sturgeon again. Second hottest trip I have made up there -- if only the sturgeon biting would had been as hot as the weather was it would have been even better. Black crappie fishing (nothing large, but just the right size for sturgeon bait) & smallmouth bass fishing (largest went about 12 1/2 inches) were both fast action. We also caught a bluegill and a couple catfish. One catfish jumped once, which was a first for me. Fishing with 1/2 of a black crappie combined with two or more crawlers was the best bait this time out. Fun trip with two fun-to-be-around anglers and on the way home we visited a much closer place to fish for them on a single day trip, so life is good. Bigfishfule should have some pictures that he can post. Here are the vitals on the five pup sturgeon that we caught (also Bigfishrule had a nice one break his line after taking steady drag for about 200 feet when he discovered he had a small birds nest in his reel, that immediately resulted in his 50 pound leader snapping):

58 inches 57 pounds
58 inches 57 pounds
59 inches 61 pounds
76 inches 131 pounds
77 inches 137 pounds
[signature]
Good report Kent. Glad you guys got into them..
[signature]
Kent heres some photos of the trip. wish i would of landed something bigger than a 12 inch smallie. But that big fish coming out of the water 10 feet from the boat then ripping all that line out before snapping off was a thrill.
[signature]
Very nice.

I hope one day to try my hand at some of that fishing.

Thanks for the post.
[signature]
Nice job Kent. Did you get the map I sent you? We went out again the night before I left for Mexico, and hooked 8 landed 5. Biggest 8 feet, smalles was 4.5 (mine). It was a blast!

Let me know when you are coming again.

Mojo
[signature]
Hi Joe,

Welcome to BFT. Sorry, but I didn't receive any map from you. Sounds like you have the catching down much better than we did. We concentrated so much on fishing in the morning that by mid-afternoon we were cooked and basically called it a day on trying to fish for sturgeon. Maybe we should have slept in and fished in the evenings on Thursday and Friday.
[signature]
Sounds like another great trip Kent. If I ever get my life back, I'd like to join you for a trip. Did you get all the kinks worked out of the new boat?
[signature]
Sounds like a good trip and the fish look like they were real fun to catch.
[signature]
Nice job guys.[cool]
[signature]
Hi Kent,
Glad you had a good trip. How was the wind?? Did you fish the usual places? Do you think the Sturgeon were in deeper holes with all the heat?? It must have been hot if you stopped fishing for sturgeon early.

Rob
[signature]
Excellent report Kent! I wish I could have made it up there with you guys this year!

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Nice fish Kent. Where on the Snake were you? I grew up in Burley, it's right on the snake, but I don't think there are any sturgeon around there.
[signature]
Nice bunch of fish Kent, glad we got a chance to see you guys up there. I wish the wind had been as calm as it was in your pictures. We only had that one big one on, that you watched brake off, we did catch this little guy though.
[inline CA4XGHSR.jpg]
[signature]
The boat ran flawlessly![Smile] Did some damage to the trailer, which I will need to repair soon.[Sad]
[signature]
[reply]
Hi Kent,
Glad you had a good trip. How was the wind?? Did you fish the usual places? Do you think the Sturgeon were in deeper holes with all the heat?? It must have been hot if you stopped fishing for sturgeon early.

Rob Fished the usual places, except for trying out an entirely new place on the way home (much closer to SLC and quite encouraging). I don't know whether they were in deeper water or not, we saw plenty sturgeon on the fish finder, but didn't get the quantity of bites that I would have expected. Not sure whether or not the full moon affects sturgeon fishing or not. Also, there was definitely a weather change while we were there, and every time I have seen a weather change it has slowed the catching. It was definitely hot and I needed to take it easy on the youngsters. [/reply]
[signature]
[cool]Nice report, guys. Kent, I really am going to make that trip with you guys one of these days. Hopefully next Spring? Gotta get some other obligations done with or under control first, but I'm gonna make it up out there. That looks like too much of a rush to ignore much longer, hooking into one of those monsters...
[signature]
We primarily fished in the Mountain Home area.
[signature]
That is one tiny sturgeon you got there, but it sure beats being skunked. I would like to catch a baby sturgeon one of these times, they remind me of the miniature dinosaurs on Jurassic Park. Curt, what caused that sturgeon to break you off?
[signature]
I was using 50 lb braided line as leader because of that time we fished with craig and the fish cut the line with it's scoots(sp). It is hard to tell for sure but I think the knot came undone. After that I started using the 80 lb Burkley Big Game mono that Ira has but never caught another big fish. Did you notice how sharp it's scoots were?
[signature]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]50 pound braided line should have been adequate, if the drag was set properly. I test my knots frequently.[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]"Did you notice how sharp it's scoots were?"[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Yes, I know that the tips of those plates are razor sharp. The younger the fish the sharper they are. The larger fish wear them down and they aren't too bad. [/size]
[signature]