Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yak and Tube Trip
I'm meeting one of our SoCal Yak members for a little Halibut action at Malibu Beach tomorrow (Sat).

If any other SoCal members would like to join us, we will be in the broad beach area of Malibu. Send a PM and I'll get back to you in the morning with my DC# for my Nextel or my cell #.[cool]
[signature]
Met tubeN2 at Broad Beach Rd this 6 AM. The water was really narly with rip tides. TubeN2 suggested we go north to Summerland and go kick some butts. It was a nice and easy beach launch just like TubeN2 said it would be. I went outside to the kelp and first off tried to make some bait. It was slow making even with using soaked dried anchovies(Japanese markets carry bags)as a chum line. I tried most of my arsenal and found gulp shrimp and mullet the best on 3/8 lead heads. Caught and released many white fish and had a strong butt bite. Looked up and saw TubeN2 going in so I followed and It was a good thing I did. The tide was changing. I buttoned down everything except my fishing rods which were attached to leashes and in the holders. Big mistake. I made my approach and made the first wave when bam I got hit with a second ripping wave that flipped me over. I finally got wet, it was a long two year run without any mishaps. When you go yaking plan on getting wet that goes with the sport. Broke one of my oldest Diawa graphite rods and lost my back up glasses. What hurt the most was my pride. Many thanks to TubeN2 for good suggestions and the help with some of the gear. It was a fun time and hope to go out again soon with a Pro like TubeN2.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Great report and good to have you on the board. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Ah, Summerland. Our family lived there for awhile when TubeN2 was still just a little towhead. He is the littlest kid right in front of me in this pic. That was a local halibut. [/#0000ff]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=27324;]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One request. Please reduce the size of your avatar pic. The maximum size allowable is 150 pixels wide. Let me know if you need help resizing it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
As I told FishSlayer, when the riptides are from Huntington to Malibu, that could only be a good sign for Summerland, Montecito and Santa Barbara areas.

It proved to be better for us. I have learned to error on the side of precaution rather than to be though as a foolish hero.

We did have a good time. While FishSlayer was beating up on the Whiteys, I hammered me a nice "Butt" and a bunch of live bait "Mackerel".

As soon as I could feel the tide pulling, I decided it was time to go in. I hope the rest of you don't think that I'm a fool for tubing in the salt.

The ocean can be your best friend if you watch the tide charts. Look at the columns for low tide and high tide. All you have to do is launch when the tide is going out and you can see your arrival schedule fitting somewhere when the tide is coming back in.

It is perfectly safe if you plan it correctly.

FishSlayer is one of my regular fishing buddies on the Moo Moo boats. We have a lot of fun competing for the Jackpot on the boat. I even let him beat me once in awhile just so that he doesn't accuse me of being a "Hustler". hee hee.[cool]
[signature]