Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what age?
I deer hunt with a small group of friends. They stay at their place in the valley while I sleep up on the mountain. I've got my tent and a cooler, I guess you could call it 'roughing it'.My wife (who works at an animal hospital) refuses to go hunting with me. My daughter is six and I've been pondering how old she should be before I take her with me.
I've talked to her about guns and how dangerous they can be and to respect them. I keep them in a safe. I read that the hunting age has been lowered to twelve. I'm excited because she loves the outdoors and loves to see the deer that I "catch" [crazy]. I saw a 22 rifle that was made for kids, it was a pink wood grain synthetic stock. I havent mentioned it to the wife but I want to get it for her.
I'm a little scared for obvious reasons but she is very mature for her age and I think she is ready to start "training".
Anywho, I know all kids are different but when is a good age to prepare a child for gun safety, target practice, and hunting.
She's my best buddy and it would be another bonding experience for us. Also, at what's the minimum age that a child can take hunters safety courses? She's too young right now but it might prove worthy to take her anyway just to start the ball rolling. I have to make sure I do this right as she is my baby. [Smile]
I'm kind of rambling but I have to mention that my wife loves to eat deer and elk steaks but I'm sure she would scare off anything that came in shooting distance..."RUN! HE'S GOT A GUN!!!"[Wink]
[signature]
Tough decision John. good luck with her and the wife both. I personally think they are old enough to start at that age for most kids. they do seem to need alot of reminders because their attention span is not that long. Short day or afternnoon or morning trips might be a good way to start that age at. Don't want to scre her away.

The toughest part could be mom with her baby to!
[signature]
I think you could start to take her on short trips this year. Don't plan on getting anything when you do, and don't get mad if she spooks the animals.

She can actually take Hunters Safety at any age, as they removed age restrictions on small game hunting. Use some judgement there, as she is still a little young to "get it".

You should take her to the range for some shooting. I've taken my 6 yr old already, and she loves it. She has shot my .22 and my .17. Have good ear protection, and just let her have fun. That is the key now. If they don't have fun, they won't want to try any more.
[signature]
There are tons of great opportunities out there for young kids starting to hunt. I know of one guy that has some property in Brigham city that offers to let kids Goose and duck hunt for free, this is a guided trip and pretty much a guaranteed success.
The DWR also reserves a lot of tags for the youth first so right now is a great time to get kids started.
As for the age thing, I think when you think she is mature enough to handle guns and you feel perfectly comfortable with her holding a gun, then she is ready. I think hunter safety begins @ age twelve but it might have changed. Good luck,
Hookjaw
[signature]
My son is 4 and he has already shot all my guns up to my .50 cal muzz. Not the -06 yet but working on it. As far as hunting and gun responsability, he is not ready. Maybe 2 more years. On the other hand, i have put a great deal of time into gun "safety" with him. He knows not to point guns at people, he knows to keep the barrel in a safe direction and the like. I can't wait till he can experience the actual hunting part. My daughter just turned one and she is obsessed with fishing poles and fish already. I hope she fallows in her brothers footsteps. I hope you got some good advice from this thread and good luck. Keep us updated on her progress and the results.[cool]
[signature]
As was already stated there is no minimum age for hunter safety. You don't even have to know how to read to pass. I helped the teacher when my little brothers and wife took the class. I ended up reading the test to one third of the class who couldn't read. You will teach her more then the class will and she only needs it to buy a licence.

Guns get heavy for kids very, very fast. You could see it in the kids doing the shooting test for hunter safety. First shot right on. By the tenth shot they were all over the target. My boy is nine and carries a bb gun when we go rabbit hunting. Gives him a chance to learn gun control without the weight and having to worry about hurting someone. With that he's been hunting down and finishing off wounded rabbits for a couple of years now. We just trade guns for a couple of minutes.
[signature]