Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
briggs and stratton 5hp 4 stroke question
I looking at possibly investing in briggs small 5hp trolling motor.
[url "http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?docid=76403"]5 HP Outboard Boat Motor - 5 HP Outboard Motors - Briggs & Stratton[/url]

Has anyone heard anything about this motor?
Does anyone have this motor?

I know its about half the price of nissan or any other popular motor, but according to some reviews I have read its supposed to be a good motor for the price.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
I use this motor on my small aluminum boat.

Pros:
[ul][li]They are air cooled[/li][li]If you run it into the mud it has a rubber gear that drives the prop that is easily changed so you do not damage the internal parts. (been there done that)[/li][li]4 stroke[/li][li]pretty good on gas[/li][/ul]Cons:

[ul][li]They don't have a lock to lock them in a up position[/li][li]I have had a problem with the cylinder filling with oil when I store the boat in a tilted back position. I really hate this one. Even a slight angle has resulted in this problem.
[/li][/ul]There may be people with other experiences. I also would like to see what others have to say. Good luck.
[signature]
if ya like big, bulky, loud, vibreating, lawnmowers attatched to your boat you will love the B/S motor i'm sure..

my buddy has 1 and took it with on one of our trips to FG on my boat.. my 6 horse johnson was in for repars.. i could not get the rattling noisy thing off my boat fast enough!!

thats my take on B/S moters. get a real motor you'll be alot better off in the end..
[signature]