Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Sheep
I will be fishing for one come Sept 1 and was wondering if anyone who fishes there regularly has any advise on where sheep are seen around the lake. I have seen reports of sheep being spotted from the lake and I need all the help I can get [Wink]

Mature Rams are probably not close to the lake until the rut in Nov. but I am asking for any info on locations they have been spotted in the past. Gotta start somewhere and I have never been there. I would like to go up on a fishing - hunting trip at some point and any help on sheep locations would be appreciated. I plan it to be a DIY hunt and plan to hunt with a ML and fish with a Garcia [cool]

Yes I am one of the lucky ones with a sportsmans permit!

Thanks!
[signature]

I've never heard of a sheep fish, is this a new predatory fish that will be a new threat to the Gorge's already strained resourses. I'm not sure what a mature ram and a sportsmans permit has to do with fishing for sheep though. Good luck, I hope you catch your sheep come Sept 1st. WH2
[signature]
Sheep Creek Bay, of course! Really, that's where I see 'em. You can see them from the boat all through there along the cliffs (though I don't think you can shoot them from the lake), and you can drive right up to them on the highway that follows Sheep Creek canyon. I see them nearly every time I drive south from Manila.

Be sure to triple-check the shooting regulations (where you can and can't shoot) with the DWR, Sheriff, and Forest Service. I wouldn't be surprised if you got 3 different answers!
[signature]
their called a sheep head and they are in the ocean. pretty cool fish, they have like 3 or 4 vertical bars that are black and orange that cover their whole body. A head like a 747 jet and teeth like a dog. just had to throw that out. later chuck
[signature]
Thanks Chuck, I thought I remembered some fish that had sheep in the name. Of course I was just kidding with Extex, after all the recent post about the burbot, I thought it might be good to poke a little fun at an ugly argument.
[signature]
Hey ....Lucky are they desert big horns or rocky mountain? Come back with some pictures of the successful hunt. I used to see them all the time in Idaho and wondered where Utah kept theirs. You know it you want a fat ol guy along takeing pictures let me know.
[signature]
Is that a statewide tag? If so shoot me a pm and i'll give you a little info.
[signature]
Thanks guys - it is a statewide Rocky MT tag. I can hunt from Sept 1 to Dec 31. Never dreamed that I would draw one of these but someone has to get lucky [cool] I am trying to plan a fishing trip with some hunting in Sept but I don't think I can get to serious until Nov about finding a big one after the rut starts. As TJ stated I need to get my ducks in a row on the areas I can actually hunt and what I can do - Are there areas you can camp on shore - is it allowed? I can anchor up the boat and stay on it but if I have more than 2 people - they have to like each other - a lot [cool]

LH - I'll send ya a PM.
[signature]
Heres some photos (scanned old 35mm) of sheep in the canyon between Sheep Creek Bay and Lucerne. All these photos were taken in July/August. The last photo is a small sheep right on the road that goes from Manilla to the dam. I'm also think the Flaming Gorge national Recreation Area around the lake IS CLOSED TO HUNTING, so I would make sure before I hunt fom the lake.
[signature]
Thanks - nice pics. The entire western shore is one sheep unit and the eastern shore is a different unit. The eastern unit is pretty much labeled National recreation area so I am pretty sure I can hunt in the rec area - probably have to stay away from campgrounds, etc. I can not find a website for FG recreation area so I guess I will call the DWR and try to get more concrete info on that.

I have been putting in for a desert sheep tag off of a unit on Lake Powell and had planned to use the boat for access - never imagined I would have the opportunity to do this on Flaming Gorge.

Thanks again!
[signature]
I meant the national rec area. I would just check with DWR on hunting this area as i was under the impression you could not hunt there. But I didnt know for sure. All those photos were taken on the western side but I have seen them on both sides. If I see any sheep in september archery hunts Ill let you know. Good luck on your hunt.
[signature]
I have seen sheep directly south (across the bay) from the antelope flats ramp and all along that face to the canyon. I have also seen some good rams up on bare mnt. I'm getting close to the bonus tag in that unit so I would be curious on your success, keep us posted.
[signature]
Bare Mt.? What area is that in - I can not find it on the map. I'll try to get my info to you if I find something.

FYI - I did call the office for the Nat Rec Area and was told I would have to call UDWR to find out if any areas are closed - other than proximity laws to buildings - I think you can hunt most places - at least for sheep anyway.

Thanks for the info folks the PMS and other info will be really helpfull. At least I'll know where to start looking.

I see that this was moved - I did not know the BFT even had a hunting section - my bad.
[signature]
I'm headed to the Gorge next week for the whole week. I always see a lot of sheep so I'll try to take some pics. I'll be doing a lot of scouting for deer so I'll keep my eye out for a big ram. There are tons of rams all over the Flaming Gorge area but honestly I have never seen anything "Sportsmans tag" worthy. I'll let you know what I see next week.
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Well I don't know what a Utah Sportsmans permit is or where you can hunt. But I have seen "Trophy" Quality rams from the Hoops Lake area all the way over the the Sheep Creek Geological Loop Road. I have made several trips this month and have seen them just about every time, although not in the same place everytime. Good luck on the hunt wherever you end up![/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3][/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Later[/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
give me a minute to look up exactly where bare mt. is... its been a bit since i've been up there and i don't want to send you in the wrong direction. off the top of my head it is in the dagget three corners unit, but i'll research it and let you know how to get there.
[signature]
WYO - the utah sportsmans permits are the Holy Grail of big game hunting in Utah, a pot of gold only the luckiest draw. The state assigns 2 permits for each species in the state, one is auctioned to the highest bidder at various functions (this one is usually called the governors tag) the other is given in a special draw. You can hunt from Sept 1 to Dec 31 with these permits in any unit in the state that has hunts so they are highly desirable - especially when they only cost $5 to apply. I am truly lucky - a bighorn tag anywhere is just about the hardest tag to get.

This is one of the better rams I have seen yet or I should say I have been able to get a good look at. With a ML he would be great one but I will be looking for a bigger one.

[Image: pcram1.jpg]
[signature]
ok extex, it is actually bare top mountain and it is in the north slope, three corners. It is easy to see on the map, look in between horseshoe canyon and jarvies draw, that mountain in between is bare top. It was a few years ago that I saw the rams (the year dutch john burned), but I would bet there are still some good ones there. good luck
[signature]