Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge area(7/9-7/13)
We sent a few days out in the Flaming gorge area for some fishing and camping.

Monday night we dropped off my truck at Indian Crossing.On the way back We saw a herd of Antelope, Deer and mutant Jack rabbits bigger then My dog.

Tuesday I spent the day on the B section of the Green River. I did a solo Trip with my Kayak. I flyfished and casted spinners and cranks. I ended up with 16 fish. I caught 5 on flys( hoppers and ants) and the rest on cranks and spinners. In all I caught 6 Rainbows, 7 browns, 1 Cuttbow and 2 White fish. The white fish were by far the biggest. One was 18" and the other was 20" caught on a spinner. What a good fight they were. A thank you goes out to the Guide that show me the way down Red Creek Rapid. I was puckering pretty hard going threw there.

On Wednesday I spent the early morning fishing for Lake Trout on the Gorge. I spent 3 hour fishing for them in my Kayak. I was fishing down by the islands by the Dam. I found them on the fish finder but could not for the life of me get them to hit. So I spent the next few hours Bass Fishing. I ended up with 16 tiny smallies with a 13"er. After Dinner I spent a couple of hours Fishing the upper Green with the Fly rod and caught 1 Rainbow.I missed about 10. I had a hard time hooking up. As I was leaving the Parking lot I spotted a truck with a BFT sticker on it.

On Thrusday I decided that I would spend my Birthday at Matt Warner and East Park Reservoir. I got to MW about 7am and was in the water by 715. The wind was blowing slightly. Every time the wind started to blow there were fish hitting the surface all over. I used spinners, Spoons and Stickbaits. They like the Bronze Mepps the Best of them all. I was sight fishing for Rainbows. What a blast. They hit like a Mac truck. I Caught 25 Rainbow/Cuttbows. I lost about half that many. They would hit, jump and throw the hook. I got up to East Park Reservoir just as a Storm was moving in. The Stocking Truck was just leaving as I got there. There was Trout every where. I didn't get any Hook ups there so I moved down to the stream and caught 2 rainbows.

It was a great trip. Talk with a guy who was up there with His Bear dogs tracking Bears. That made us worry a little bit. The Flaming Gorge Lodge has some good Burgers. We saw a lot of wild life every where we went. Too bad We had to come back to the City.

Tincanfsh
[signature]
Billy, sounds like a fun trip with lots of variety.
[signature]
It was a good time. I wish I could do it more often

Tincanfsh
[signature]
Sounds like a cool trip were you alone? I do a trip like that, we start at the Gorge and work are way back to SLC stopping at many lakes on the way some are just for a few hours to try something new. Nice report!![cool]
[signature]
[reply]
On Wednesday ... As I was leaving the Parking lot I spotted a truck with a BFT sticker on it. [/reply]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Tincan, that truck you seen on Wednesday was probably RILEYFISH's. He was up there and did good catching macks.[/#002850]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=349849#349849"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=349849#349849[/url][/font][/size]
[signature]
Hey DeepCycle,

I was up there with my wife. During the Day she was working for the Forest Service while I fishing. She had wanted to go out in the Kayaks but the wind will always pick up in the evening. I also Like to fish my way back to the city.

Tincanfsh
[signature]
Hey Coot,

You guys did good with the Macs. It was a small 2wd white Pickup with a shell on it.

Tincanfsh
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Nope, not small white ... it was a big ole burb.[/#002850][/font][/size]
[signature]
Tincan: Which side of Red Creek did you run? Morning (low water) or afternoon (higher water)? Last time down, I hit Red Cr. early in the morning in very low water, took the right side, and made a little echo through the canyon with my dory![Wink] Left just looked too skinny. No good, wet story to tell, just a loud "BONK" on the underwater rock that makes the first big wave, the one before the visible rock I was avoiding!

Left is the place to be if the water's up a bit.
[signature]
Hey Jim,

I hit Red Creek in the afternoon. The water was up and flowing high. I took the left side. When I stopped and look at it ,It didn't look so bad but when you get in the middle that a whole different story. A smaller yak would of handled a little better but old Yellow did just fine. I saw huge schools of suckers and whitefish shortly after Red Creek.

Thanks again for the advice and info about the Gorge and the Green.

Tincanfsh
[signature]