Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
200 mercury problem
I was out on the lake today pulling the tube and my motor was actin' up on me. Here we go-after sitting for a while it wouldn't start unless the throttle was advanced. After that it would start and idle just fine. If I tried to 'shoot out of the hole' it would stall but I could go to about 1200 rpm's slowly and then there was a dead spot where if I tried to give it the gas it would bog down. I could let off and it would go back to an idle but if I left the throttle down it would stall. It seemed like the boat would have to drive at 1200 rpm's for a minute before I could advance the throttle but you could hear it slow down and then it would take off. Any ideas? I would check the fuel filter if I knew where it was[blush]. I just got the boat in March and don't know much about motor troubleshooting. If anyone needs more details on the problem to know the solution just holler.
1999 Mercury 200 hp 2-stroke carbeurated v6 21 pitch stainless prop on a 20' Viper Coral.
I would like to know the problem before I take it to a mechanic.
The boat is from Texas, I bought it in Oklahoma and had intentions on taking it to mechanic for a tune-up before it hit the water but...there were fish to catch.
[signature]
coming up from texas, that may be just a fuel to air ratio issue, you really should get to a mechanic and have them at least tune it first then take it back if it doesnt run correctly and tell them its not right, you may be able to get a "free" diagnostic that way save a buck or two at least and see what mechanical shape that motor is in.
[signature]
It could be as simple as your primer bulb, if you have one. I would check that one first, it could be getting old. Another thing could be your choke may be a little sticky and not opening up all the way as it should as your engine warms up. I'd have a mechanic check it out. On my old outboard, the fuel filter is just a screen right on the fuel pump. Yours could be inline.
[signature]
Thanks for the help, now I just have to figure out where to take it in the SL valley.
[signature]
[url "http://www.marine-products.com/"]Marine Products[/url] works on merc's but you will have a 2 week wait . Willard is keeping shops busy .
[signature]
I put the 'ears' on the motor today and turned on the hose. It had no problem at all. Didn't want to start right away but when put in gear it would rev up like a pissed off bull. It seems as though the torque from pushing the water may be the problem, maybe, I'm not a mechanic. Thanks for the help again.
[signature]
It is a bummer to hear the boat is running a little rough. IF you dont mind the drive I know I have read the praises of Lees Marine. Maybe give him a call.

Majja
[signature]