Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorge 14 -15 July
Had a great boys weekend without the wives, (hope they don't read this) anyway My son, Jared (Sockeyeslayer), myself and a friend of my son, spent a great weekend catching as many kokanee as we could handle. Water temp 69 degrees clear skies and smooth water for the most part. Fished the cliffs at the entrance to the canyon just south of the marina. It appears that the fish are already starting to stack around one the the spawning areas. They were in there heavy from 45 down to 70 feet. Saturday the majic ticket was the pink RGT tube from Radical Glow trailing a hyperplaid dodger, followed closely by the hot pink squid and hyperplaid. Sunday was different, they didn't even seem to look at the RGT tubes, so we swithed it out to the
UV pink haze and hyperplaid. Worked as advertised. Most fish still small but getting bigger. Picked up limits each day of 3.5 to 4.1 fish with many smaller. Pics of a couple 3.9, 3.7 and 4.0.
[signature]
Sounds like a great trip. I sure wish that I could have taken advantage of the chances I had previously to chase the salmon with Jared.
[signature]
nice pic's rob great fish it was great hangin out with you guy's as long as i could next time we will have to get on the pond thank's ash
[signature]
I baught some of the RMT stuff from jared in may for a trip in june.
did very well with hyper plad & uv squid. top notch customer service. he even called me on the phone at home and gave me advice on how to fish the stuff. (AWSOME [Wink]) glad you guy are still into the fish[Smile][Smile]
[signature]
First Thanks for the Report!!! Great looking fish!!

Now a question from a fisherman who just want to know - I have talked to many many fisherman who think you can take a limit of kokanee each day and when I explain the limit is a aggregate amount most don't believe me.

From your post it sounds like you have either eat'in, smoked, or somehow consumed your catch between outings. Could you please tell the hundreds of folks who read this forum the propper way you are able to get a limit each day - thanks in advance

Quote:
[size 1] Picked up limits each day of 3.5 to 4.1 fish with many smaller.[/size]
[signature]
Great question first of all. Proclamation is very clear as to the amount of fish you can keep. Kokanee have a 3 fish (Possession) limit. That means in your freezer, boat, or vehicle at anytime. We do catch a lot of fish on every outing as a rule. We usually release everything at the side of the boat unless they are bleeding to the point they would become seagul food if we released them. Those are the ones we keep. Of the three pictured only two were kept by myself that morning. You are right about consuming them. They make a great shore lunch and are even better when they come out of the smoker. We also usually have Saturdays fish for dinner that night if we didn't have them for lunch. Anyway 3 fish limit means just that. Ask they family that had everything they own lost to the fish cops a week or so ago during a check point between the gorge and mountain view. I heard they had somewhere in the neighborhood of 120 kokanee filets in their cooler. Not a good way to end a good fishing trip.
[signature]
Sounds like a great time with good company. The RMT stuff seems to be working out quite well. Hope to be able to try it out some time.
[signature]
Just one more question from the peanut gallery [Wink] ??

Do you bleed out the larger Kokanee you keep? I come from Oregon and we always bleed out the Chinook's by cutting them right behind the gills in the belly. A two inch cut is about all you'll need to make.
[signature]
Great trip, we fished the same area on Fri and had fast action, the fish we were cathing were a little smaller. My first try with Jareds lures and they worked great, we had on the pink squids with the hyperplaid, also tried the serpent spoons. Great lures, great guy , great new company. Thanks for your info and reports. Good reminder on the possesion limits, its pretty clear in the proclamation. Thanks again.
[signature]
thay busted several people but that is only becouse thay have not taken the time to sit down and read the reg's it suck's but it's the law it really suck's when you want to stuff the smoker but that is why I take the old lady and my boy that give's me nine to smoke so that make's it worth it I was allso told that even if thay are smoked it is still a fish in your posseion so watch out the gf are on it and I think it is around 210dollor's per fish and over and the possobility of loseing everything and even not being able to hunt or fish in like 22 state's not sure what it is eny more I look for them busting a lot more people over the next few week's the possesion limit stand's for every thing in the gorge the limit is the limit.awsome question should have came up a long time ago.ash
[signature]