Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to fly fish?
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hi Guys,[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Planning a trip within the next month from SoCal up I-15 to perhaps Butte. Along that route where would some good stop off points be to do some fly fishing while wading? Back in 2004 did fish around Victor, Swan Valley, Driggs & Tetonia. Nice country side.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Do as much research as you can on the conditions in Montana- there is going to be some river closures or restricted fishing due to water temps.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Thanks packfish. However at this time I am more interested in locations along the northern part of Idaho near I 15.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Sorry- my fault- though we were talking Butte Montana.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][size 3][cool][green]Hey there packfish - well you are not totally mistaken for I did mention Butte as perhaps my final destination. Although in not so many words. Because of our severe drought conditions in California many of the river's CFS flow are way below the norm. Has that been the case in Idaho & Montana?[/green][/size][/font]
[signature]
dryrod,
Most of the flows in Eastern Idaho rivers are holding OK. I think the high water temps have created some problems at several streams in the region. The south fork of the Snake has been fishing well. It's a bit of a drive off I-15 but would be worth your time. Send me a PM if you want some details on where to go.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Thanks flyguy66 - as soon as my niece decides if her husband can spare her for a week or two will then send you a PM. Do appreciate you offer of help. My niece who is a Geology professor at Cal State teaches all that stuff about river, streams etc. While she wants to explore new bodies of water I want to explore whats in those waters. Like bows, cutts, browns etc. If they happen to jump onto one of my fly offerings whoopee. [/size][/green][/font]
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=27696;][/center]
[signature]
It has been a warm dry year in Eastern Idaho so the rivers, streams and reservoirs will be warmer and have less water than they typically have at this time of the year. I would go for mountain streams, rivers with cooler water or high mountain lakes if I were you. Henry's Fork in Island Park or the South Fork of Snake would be good options. There are numerous streams that wouldn't be far from your path. Just let me know exactly what you would be interested in and I'll pass along some details.
[signature]