Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba Tubin' Mini Floatilla
[cool][#0000ff]Wanted to see what all the yammerin' was about...the walleyes and northerns at Yuba. Hit the road with "road" and Fishboy2 at O dark thirty. Met up with LloydE at the Painted Rocks launch ramp about 6:30. A four way mini floatilla...three tubes and LloydE in his toon.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Water temp 71 at launch...and bumpy, from the south breeze. I assured everybody that it was supposed to be calm, and that the breeze would die down soon and the lake would be calm. Soon was about noon. We bounced and kicked against the wind all morning.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Road, FB2 and Lloyd all followed the breeze and went north from the ramp. I kicked south, to try to find some eyes on the flats. I had pointed out some likely structure to road, who wanted to get a northern and to help FB2 score one too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I found nothing but perch to the south. And some small carp (toothless golden walleyes). They were really plentiful and aggressive today. We all caught enough to be fun and almost enough to be annoying. No walleyes or northerns for me. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Marty (road) announced on the walkie talkie that he had lost a good northern at the tube. Yeah, right, Marty. Good fish story. Shortly thereafter, he announced that he had a 34 inch northern in his basket. Yee hawwww. Not long after that he wailed that the fish had done a Houdini and escaped out the bottom of the basket. No camera, no pics. Yeah, right Marty.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Fishboy2 had a leaky craft. Attempts to refill it and repair it were not successful. He became a bank tangler. He probably caught more fish than any of us. Dangling a small jig with a bit of worm, below a bobber, he had almost constant action from the numerous small carp and plentiful perch. He also caught a nice little rainbow from shore. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There were dark clouds most of the morning and at one point we got a few raindrops. Not too long after that the constant breeze did finally die down and we all enjoyed being able to work our jigs more creatively. But, we still could catch nothing more than perch and carp. I did manage to bring in one nickle bright rainbow..[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Well, no walleyes and no northerns to pose for pictures, but a fun day was had by all. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
...as usual great recap and pics...but do have one newbie question.. the mirror mirror picture.. that fish has almost no scales left on it.. is that normal for that type of fish or is it a sick fish...just curious...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
It was truly a fun fun day. Lots of action from the wind and the fishing wasn't too bad either.

A typical road trip .... forgot the camera, forgot the sonar battery, had to go back home and get the wallet I forgot. Why you'd think I never got up before noon or something!

As for my LOST fish TD at least LloydE got to see it and FB2 watched me land it. But the best part was just being there and having the oportunity to catch it. And its there for some one else to carch.

Wont be letting any other fish swim free that easy in the future. Have already repaird the bottom door on the fish basket. Now will the real Houdini fin up please.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That is a "mirror" carp. It is exactly the same species as the ones with regular scales but is a genetic anomaly that happens fairly often. The mirror carp sometimes have almost no scales at all...or just a very few very large ones. If you google mirror carp you will find a lot of pictures. Some of them get huge in Europe and are prized among the carp fanciers.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
nice trip guys. Did you call it a "mini" Floatilla because Road and FB2 are so skinny? -- looked like a full blown Floatilla to me [cool]

And Marty don't worry -- I believe you Smile
[signature]
NICE! [cool]

looks like you fellas had a good time!!
[signature]
It looks like you are getting warmed up for your Bday fishing trip.[cool]

Nice fishing and nice catchin'[cool]
[signature]
Looks like a nice day on Yuba.
[signature]
Great report as usual. No Pike or Walleye ? Were yoy fishing at the back of Painted Rocks ?
[signature]
...thank you...now I know something more about fish... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Because of the continuous wind, we did not get very far away from the ramp. Road did get over around the islands, but did not get more than a couple of whacks all around them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
How big was it Marty ?
[signature]
Should have been west of where you were. They were biting on the west of Walleye.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sure. Walleye Point is virtually unreachable by float tube, especially in the wind. Not good advice.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And, in talking with one of the "locals", who lives in Gunnison and fishes the lake several times a month, there are really not that many walleye being taken. He knows most of the regulars and a lot of them get blanked on most trips. You were "fortunate".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The program was a "promo" for the DWR restoration project. They fished all day, hard, with seasoned walleye pros, to catch just a few fish under ideal conditions. They filmed the fish they caught and made it look like they were catching lots of fish all day. NOT. In fact, on their recent netting surveys, they could not even find any walleye.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, the "local" guy fished all around Walleye Point yesterday and only caught perch...and carp...the same as we did.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks Dusty. It's one of those things. I know there were 2 other fisherman there who saw and heard the battle, well at least the end of it. FB2 thought I fell out of the tube from all the splashing.

Either way it was one of my best fishing trips this year. TD and I was talking afterwards. We kind of decided that the last 10 trips have all been just awsome. Great fishing, good company, respectable weather. What more could a fisherperson ask for?
[signature]