Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float tube derby
For all of you tubers in Southern California, there will be float tube Bass derby on Saturday, April 5th at Castaic's
famed Lower Lagoon. This derby will run from 7AM until 12 noon. Entry fee is only $40 which includes a three way big fish pot. Lots of prizes! Lots of fun! See you there!
Terry[Smile]
[signature]
[cool]Welcome to our little playroom, honky. Interesting name. Anything to do with horns?

And thanks for the heads up on the tourney. Anybody interested in hittin' it? It's a bit of a drive from Phoenix, so I probably won't be there.

How about letting us know the results, and post some pics if you will. If you don't have a web site to upload the pics, you can email them to me and I will post them for you.

By the way, what kind of craft do you kick around in? Any special tricks you'd like to share...or ask about? This is the place, man.
[signature]
I'm curious as to how you would judge the contest. My specific question is: if you do a weigh in, how do you put a "live well" on a tube?????

ES
[signature]
[cool] There are all kinds of mesh bags and wire basket arrangements that attach to the exterior of your craft and will keep fish satisfactorily alive. Click on the accessories buttons on the two links I posted for another reader a couple of days ago, and you will see that live wells are alive and well.
[signature]
yea , if possible i'de like to see a pic of all thoes guys in the water
[signature]
Well, I didn't get the answere I was looking for,. but I think I have figured this thing out!! Myself I don't do the Tube thing. I have a Bass Tracker, 17ft & that's as close to the water that I want to get. Right now anyway. I also asked if anyone knew if it was closer to Mead Or Powell from St George Utah?? Thanks for all the replys to the Tube thing,. Wii post how it turns out & see if we can send some pictures... )))krk((([email]
[signature]
[cool]I reread your original post and I did not see anything on our forum about Mead or Powell. I'm guessing that it is closer to the Overton area of Mead than the Wahweap area of Powell. I haven't kept up on the reports for Mead, other than I know the upper ends of the lake have suffered badly from the extended drought.

Based on past fishing experience, I would suggest that you would do better in Overton arm of Mead, with a lot less gas consumption, than putting in at Wahweap and running halfway up the lake. There can be some good fishing not far from the Dam, but unless Warm Creek or Navajo Canyon have fish, you need to make a long boat ride to find 'em.

If you are targeting largemouths, Mead is definitely a better bet. There just aren't many left in Powell. However, there are plenty of fiesty small smallies to keep you and guests busy. Stripers run bigger in Mead too. But, Powell has some great walleyes this time of year, if you know where to fish and how to fish them.

I don't have the links for anything to do with Mead, but if you want a good website for all things Powell, go to [url "http://www.wayneswords.com/"][#0000ff]www.wayneswords.com[/#0000ff][/url] . Hope this helps. If all else fails, get out the old maps and mileage scales and figure it out.
[signature]
Tube Dude: Thanks for the reply. I may end up in St George one of these days. There are only two small lakes in the St George area that I know of. Have only been to Powell once & we launched across from Page Arizona. JUst above Glen Canyon Dam. Have been to Mead a few times but we went to Temple Bar. Alot less traffic (sp)there. Of course that is along way from George. )))krk(((
[signature]
[cool]Thinking of retiring in St. George? Could be worse places for a fisherman. Those two small lakes you refer to are probably Gunlock and Quail Creek. Both offer some BIG bass...but can get overrun with boaters and other anglers. Also, both have suffered mightily from the ongoing drought problems.

I also used to fish Temple Bar, on Mead. It seemed to attract primarily serious fishermen, and the bassin' was almost always good. If you make a trip to St. George...or Las Vegas...take the time to drive to Overton and check it out. You might even be able to scare up a couple of websites in advance.

If you launched near Page, on Lake Powell, that would have been Wahweap. If you like striper action, be there in October. The fish chase shad right up into the marina and the locals are down there casting from the docks every morning before they go to work. Of course, you can find a bit more solitude and unmolested fish in your boat.

This area of Lake Powell offers some of the best early season fishing. The waters in some of the side canyons warms more quickly than the main lake, especially if there has been some runoff from spring rains to color the water and increase receptivity to sun heating. I have had some fantactic jig and pig fishing in the backs of colored up canyons.

On the retirement thing, my wife and I joke about living in Arizona. We ask ourselves where we are going to retire, since we already live here.
[signature]
Yes, the two lakes are the ones that you mentioned. My brother-in-law lives there & my significant other thinks thats where she wants to live. I would rather move to Havasu, but not getting any takers. Last summer you would have been the only one on Gunlock, the water was low enough so that no boaters could launch. Only saw a couple of shore fishermen. I have a friend that just purchased a pontoon boat & is haveing a good time with that. I have been retired for a few years, was able to retire early & the wife was still working. We would like to get out of here (LA) but family ties are holding us here. There are some really nice homes in the George area. I could sell here & buy two there. Will be making a trip there after Easter as the wife has the week off. I guess I could do worse. Have done some fly fishing on the beaver & sever rivers. Will probably take a pole or two & the wife can go house hunting!! Later... )))Krk(((
[signature]
[cool]Glad you got your priorities straight. You should always load up that fishing gear before you put in any "non-essential" stuff...like luggage, food, spare tire, etc. Hey, wives can always go shopping or house hunting. Our opinions and input doesn't count anyway, so we might as well go fishing.

Some thoughts on the Havasu thing. I have an older cousin who retired and built a home in Lake Havasu City several years ago. It has really grown since and has become a party venue for all the young and crazy. Some of the best fishing months you can't get much fishing in. It is tough to get your boat launched or trailered, with all of the other party boats. And, it is tough to concentrate on serious fishing with all of the "eye strain"...the young girls wearing little or nothing, and doing almost everything.

The fishing can be great in Havasu. The largemouth are picking up, with the new artificial habitat being added by Game and Fish. Stripers are almost always an option...even if they don't reach the sizes they used to. And the fishing for cats and sunfish is great, whenever you have kids or guests that need action to keep from getting bored.

For serious fishing, however, I would plan to go both up and down the river. The other lakes and backwaters along the Colorado have some great fishing for the dedicated warm water angler. Only problem is the summer heat. That area gets a lot of publicity in the summer, when it is often the nation's hot spot, with temps frequently going over 115. Of course, St. George can get a bit toasty too. But, as they say down in Hell..."It's a nice dry heat."
[signature]
Your right about getting priorities straight. I know all about the heat. I worked in Blythe for 12 years, we lived across the river in place called Ehrenberg!!! Bought a Mobile home & the wife just loved every minute of it!! HA HA THey finally transfered me to Coachella & she said I'm out of here! We still had a home (House) in the LA area that we had been renting so after the renters moved we moved back in. 1st yr I was in the Blythe area the average temp that summer was around 118%. Took me a couple of yrs to get used to it, but after that wasn't too bad. Used to fish the whole area around Blythe. Some great canal fishing & backwaters. Our mobile was just hundred or so yards from river, so we were either near, on, or in it all the time. It was a ghreat experience living & working there. Alot of crazies all up & down the river. Like you said, some really good sights. Used to really hate the big weekends as al the weekenders from LA used to come down & run amok.. Enough for now have to get ready for work (?) I'm still doing some Subbing (School) can't get out of my blood.. Later... )))Krk(((
[signature]
[cool]You've lived in some of the hottest spots in the Southwest. What's next on your dance card...Death Valley?

When I lived in Riverside, I spent almost every weekend hitting the river above and below Blythe. Some of the canals and side channels on the reservation had some good fishing. I especially liked below the Palo Verde Wier, before they rebuilt it and changed the channels. I usually stay in Ehrenberg when I go over from Phoenix, but it ain't the same these days.

Have you fished the Salton Sea much. It stinks, but there is some fantastic fishing to be had. It is a float tuber's paradise for those big ol' corvinas. They are close relatives of the white sea bass, and you can often count on some 15 to 20 pound fish in a day's fishing. If they're not in, the big tilapia hit bass lures like crazy. You can wear your rod arm out on them.

So much fishing...so little time.
[signature]