Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dry flies or nymphs
I am new to flyfishing.Itook a class from Dave Mcormick last winter and have been to the middle provo a few times and have never even had a hit. I have most of the popular dry flies and nymphs. My question is, is it easier to catch fish on dries or nymphs? I cant afford a guide so I would be so thankful for any help at all.

Tight lines
Thank you
okieute
[signature]
The thing about dries and nymphs is that you have to let the fish tell you what to throw at them. Sometimes the fish can be really dumb and easy to catch, and other times they can prove to "smarten-up" a little bit. If I were going to go fish the middle tomorrow, I would focus on throwing caddis dries (with a good presentation) in the early AM. Caddis hatch at night mostly, but they like to come back for a drink in the morning. You may not see fish rise at all, but they are still looking up for the occasional straggler. Then you can search the river for PMDs. They are a hoot to fish if the hatch is good. The middle of the day can be spent throwing hoppers along the banks (COVERING LOTS OF WATER). You will also see opportunity to throw Yellow Sallies at times. Then the magic happens LATE like around 8:00 or later. The caddis hatch starts. Don't be discouraged that you can't see your fly. Just listen for the splash.

On a summer day, you should be able to fill it with dry fly fishing, but I guess you can nymph too if you have to.

Some hot flies that I have used, or gotten report of are:

x-caddis 14-18
Palomino caddis #14
pulsating caddis16-18
twisted foam hopper #10
parachute PMD 16-18

Good luck. Search the risers and cast to them.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Great response Cheech,[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]While I was gathering my thoughts to respond, you beat me to it. Thank God, because my answer was starting out with all the bit about reading the holding water and matching the hatch, etc.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Your information was much shorter and better in content than mine would have been.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Good on ya[/size]
[signature]
Thanks TubeDud,
I will try what recommended. Maybe I should realize that I cant be an expert from the start and to be patient instead of frustrated.[Smile][Smile]. If you cant see your fly is it to late when you feel the tug?
thanks
okie ute

tightlines
[signature]
If you are fishing dries, you should see the fly until a fish eats it. keep it dry, and keep floatant on it as needed. With a nymph, if you are feeling the tug, you are fishing it right.
[signature]
thanks Tube Dude. I will get out soon and give it a try. [Wink]

okieute
[signature]
You could always try a dry then attach a nymph or emerger about 20" back from the bend of the dry. I have caught a lot of fish on a WD40 off of a Caddis or any other dry. I like using Cripples also.
[signature]
Flygoddess,
Thank you so much for the info.It is so wonderful that people are willing to "pass it on". What size haresear did you
catch the cat from bountiful pond on? [sly][sly]

thanks
okieute
[signature]
It was a #12. But stillwater I use SINKING line with Type II being my favorite.
I use the dry/dropper on rivers mostly cause rises on stillwater are so speratic(sp).
I have caught fish on an Elk Hair at Strawberry (which is cool as hech cause you see the swirls get closer and closer to your fly then the fly disapears and the pull is on)

At Scofield, I like the big HOPPER and about 3' to 4' dropper with a Tungsten bead Copper John, Pheasant tail, or Prince in #12 to #16.
[signature]
I have all those flies and I will sure try what you said.Thanks for sharing.Ever fish Vernon creek? I love to float tube there and the fish just cant resist a size 6 or 10 black wollybugger very slow retrieve.

Thanks
okieute

[laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
I have only fished there once many years ago. I do remember the fish being good fighters and nice size however.
[signature]