Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake 7-19
Hit Lincoln beach this morning with Out4aFloat. Scouting trip for the flotilla next week. Nice weather with a little wind even though the weatherman promised lots of wind.

Caught a carp on chub meat. Whats up with that? Landed a 21 inch cat and had 5 more wrap around sticks and break my line. Not my best day landing fish.

Meet two other BFTers as we were launching and as we were leaving. Sorry I forgot your names but it was nice talking with you.
[signature]
Glad to here you were out playing with the kitties, sorry to hear that they were winning the battle, but at least you were having fun.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have caught several carp down there on chub minnows. Carp are omnivorous. They eat meat too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you were getting tangled in the sticks you were probably fishing too shallow for the bigger cats. They often go out into 8-10 feet of water during the day when it gets real warm. I have had days down there this time of year when the fish were biting in 5 feet of water at daybreak and no shallower than 7 feet by afternoon. But...they often come in very shallow after dark. I think we will see some good action next week...unless you "sore-lipped" all the fish or wised up the rest of them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well tlspyder13 had a full day of beating up those cats. And I'm afraid I contributed to 4 kitties with new lip piercings. Only landed 3 cats size 20"-26". With that ratio they won't want to play much later.[unsure]

Thanks for telling me to keep that chub TD. That's all we could get them to look at.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]From about the middle of July through fall, fresh white bass meat is about the best bait going. But, fresh carp or chub will often work just as well. There is a lot of food available for all the predators right now so you have to serve them what they are keying on.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I saved several of the big chubs I caught through the ice at Jordanelle last February. They will be guests of honor at the gorilla floatillas. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey there,

I'm the guy you met this morning. My buddy was watkinator. Good meeting you too. Sounds like you guys had a good time out there even though the numbers weren't huge. We only got one channel cat each (both around 20ish inches). Maybe the bigger ones were hanging out in deeper water like TD said...guess that means they'll be there for the night trip on the 27th! [laugh]
[signature]
Both of you guys planning on being at the night floatilla?
[signature]
Time to come clean. I really didn't think the wind was going to let us on the water before we left. Almost called and canceled. Only took a small bag of shinner minnows incase we did get on the water. My bad.

Started dragging minnows in about five to six feet of water planning to work my way deeper. Out4aFloat kept broadcasting another missed fish or evan worse another landed one. So when he offered to share some bait it was off to the shallows for me.

The carp is now in bait chunks and ready for some kitties.
[signature]
I'll be there with my wife. Watkinator is going to try but he's not for sure yet. You?
[signature]
Yea I'll be there in full strength. I've been saving a small white bass for just an occasion. Whether they want white bass, chub or minnow I plan on netting a few big cats with a big moon over head.
[signature]
Just hope the forcasts are wrong and it clears up sooner than they say it should!
[signature]