Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good thing....
I didn't get a change to try to fish one of the pond one day a few weeks ago. Last Sunday I was on the way to my sister for a birthday party and drove on the highway pass that pond that I was trying to get on. All those years it looked good from the road but this time it was different. It was so choked of weeds 100% of the pond! Not a space opened...I wonder about those fish? It would have had been a big waste of trying to get there by hiking a little ways to get there and find it useless!
My buddy has been asking me lets go when he heard the story of my catching those bass.... guess I would go later in the afternoon sat or early sunday.... (he's bugging me![cool])
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are quite a few shallow lakes that become choked with weeds during the hot part of the summer. You just have to plan to fish them earlier or later in the year...before the weeds grow in or after they start dieing off when the water cools. The only bad thing about the late season fishing is that you always have pieces of weed on your line.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some lakes are worse these days than in previous years because they get runoff from residences or industry. Whenever there are lots of fertilizers or other pollutants in the water, some kinds of water vegetation just explodes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For the time being you will have to look for lakes with more depth that still have open water for you to fish. Many of these will have weeds but they will only grow out to a certain depth. I have found that fishing along those weed lines is usually productive. The fish like it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
There is something to be said for those weeds....FOOOD! I fish several shallow weedy lakes and I can tell you the fish are HUGE because of them (Henry's Lake is a great example).
The trick is vertical or even longer leaders and slight twitches. How have you guys been dealing with Mantua? That is another one. But you get into fish and HOLD ON![cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Mantua has a lot of weeds, and they come clear to the surface even in some pretty deep (18') areas. But, there are large areas of open water with holes between the weeds. That is where we vertical jig for most of the fish. And, for fly flingers, there are also quite a few spots around the lake where there are open zones between the shoreline and the beginning of the weed beds. Working along those areas can produce fish on almost every cast.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As you point out, the heavy weed growth helps produce lots of food and oxygen for the fishies. But, when it starts to die off in the late fall it makes the lake impossible to fish...unless you like lots of "salad".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
when you fish mantua in the fall dont forget the ranch dressing[Tongue]
[signature]
Yea on in the fall you also do not need your tube either, just walk on those weeks they are so thick.
[signature]
Walk across, you said it right!...yep this pond is so thick of weeds!
[signature]