Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What works best?
What works best to keep yourself from getting wet will tubing, waders or a wet suit?
[signature]
waders will usually do the trick, just make sure they are at least chest high and you shouldn't have a problem. If you are still getting wet even with chest waders, then you may need to inflate your tube more or even get a larger tube.
[signature]
[cool] Some of the new model "mini pontoons" and kick boats, like my new Outcast Super Fat Cat, have you sitting at or above water level, so that you don't have to worry much about taking water over the back of your waders. With my older model round tubes, I sometimes got careless and leaned back to far when power kicking or hook setting. In warm water it ain't too bad. In pre iceup or iceout conditions, the cold water will change your religion...and your gender.

For many tubers the issue is neoprene or breathable lightweight. In cold climates, where even summer water temps do not get much above 60 on some lakes, the neoprenes work all year. But, wherever the temps get above 70, you will appreciate having the lightweight waders, unless you really enjoy a good sauna while fishing.

I use Hodgman breathables, with the neoprene stocking foot boots. They keep my feet warmer in the winter, than plain stocking foot, and they let me fish comfortably in moderate water temps.

I live in Arizona, where the water temps right now are 70 (on a fishing trip to Saguara Lake this evening). One layer of clothing between me and the waders was plenty. Within a couple of weeks the water temp will climb over the 75 degree mark...on it's way to midsummer temps of 85 or so. I will not even wear waders again until about the first of October. That water feels real good when it is already over a hundred degrees at 10 in the morning late in June.
[signature]