Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having a blast!
Got up at 3:30 this morning and made the 2 and a half hour trip from my house to Big Bear Lake California. This is the 3rd weekend in a row that I have been able to get my SFC out on the water. The first trip was to Big Bear and I didn't get a bite, but as this was my maiden voyage I was not expecting much. Last week I went to Gregory Lake in Crestline California and was able to land a 10 inch rainbow and an 8 incher.

Today at Big Bear was awesome! I netted 4 rainbows, the smallest was 12 inches and the largest was a nice 16 incher. I was the only one catching anything and was using nightcrawlers under a slip bobber set to about 20-25 feet and was fishing all around the buoy line by the dam. I must have farmed at least 3 to 4 other fish.

Funny thing was I heard numerous comments from people fishing from boats about my tube. I saw a couple of other tubers on the water in the morning, but I guess tubers still get many comments and stares from curious folks who have never seen someone fishing from a tube. I am surprised by how many people still have not seen fishing from a tube, they made me feel like a novelty.

Again I want to thank all for there comments and advice, it is really paying off.

BTW - Used my Mares Plana X-3 fins and am now Confused and not sure if I like the X-3's or the Superchannels better. Did notice the X-3 are lighter, but the Superchannels seem to have a better/more efficient structure overall. Does anyone else use the Mares Superchannel fins

JD
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good report. Sounds like you are getting dialed in on this float tubing thing. It also surprises me how many people there are who still don't have a clue about tubes. It's amazing some of the stupid comments you hear floating across the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Still can't help you with any info on the Superchannels. I only buy fins about every 20 years and have not been really shopping for a while. Ultimately, it will be a personal decision. It is your opinion that counts. If you like them better, then they are better for YOU. There are a lot of variables in body types, kicking styles and personal preferences for ease of kicking, etc. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Great report and good on ya for the nice day fishing. It's all good but gets great when the fish pitch in a bit.

As far as comments on the tube. They will probably never stop. I fish the same waters and get the same comments from the same people all the time. It never ceases to amaze me.

I too am looking at fins and mares are at the top of my list. But every dive shop I have been in, are pushing the newer split fins. Nature wings I believe they call them. They swear they are effortless to use. I keep tryin to get one of them to let me *try* before I buy. But have not had any luck with that yet. Maybe I should ask them to take me to their dive pool and let me try them there..
[signature]
Glad to hear that you're enjoying yourself. As far as comments on fishing from a tube the most memorable one I've had, and I've heard this more than once, is :

"Have you got a motor in there?"

I then lift my fins clear of the water.

"Oh look at that! What a good idea!"

As if I invented fin-power locomotion!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]A couple of my favorites are "They got waders built into 'em." and "He's just walking along on the bottom"...when I am in 50 feet of water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What I really like to hear is something like "Oh, they are a lot of fun, but you can't catch any fish from them"...just as I bring in another fish and add it to the basket of flopping fish I pull up for full effect.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It's really fun to fish near TubeBabe and hear something like "Wow, look at all the poles that guy (TubeBabe) has. Wait, a minute...that's a WOMAN!" She takes special pleasure in setting the hook into a big fish about that time and enjoying the battle while the dimbulb boaters look on.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
And you had me believing in the BEAN power[cool]
[signature]
hehehe is that baked.. pinto.. or refried ?????
[signature]