Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life Jackets
I am not sure, but it seems to me that most people who fish from a tube are not wearing a life jacket. Mine is not too comfortable to wear while fishing. Am I the only one who wears a jacket while fishing?
[signature]
[black][size 3]You are not the only person who wears a life vest while in a tube/toon.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I'm a rather conservative old duffer, but I think that it is only good sense to use one. Yes, they are not the most comfortable of garments to wear, but in my mind, safety should be a major concern of anyone using a toon/tube.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]There are some that have mesh backs, and some that are worn on the waist. There are some that fit like suspenders, and inflate with the pull of a cord.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]The options are numerous, but which ever one a person chooses, they should be worn for the sake of safety.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]It's like wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle, uncomfortable, but wise to use.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]While I am a big proponent of safety on the water, I have NEVER worn my PFD while tubing. I ALWAYS carry one, and not just because it is required. Like a coat on a warm day...it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The float tubes I have jockeyed over the years have almost always had more than one air chamber. And, I am a powerful swimmer, even without fins. If my tube were to sink out from under me, while I was still wearing fins, I can lay over on my back and throw a rooster tail as I kick backwards.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In over 5 decades of tubing, I have never been in danger of having my craft sink...nor have I known anybody who suffered more than an inconvenience from a soft or leaky air chamber. The only tubing catastrophes of which I am aware happened when tubers were run over by big boats or personal water craft. If you get hit by a big boat, the main value of the PFD will be to keep your lifeless corpse afloat for your heirs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I always wear a fishing vest. That's my style. I cannot and will not wear a PFD too. They make some that have pockets and d rings for danglies, but they are not FISHING VESTS. And, yes, I have a set of SOSpenders. They are light and do not take up much room. But, you are not supposed to wear them under a fishing vest or other clothing...and I do not want to wear one over my fishing vest.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In short, I still believe that having a PFD on board is a (potentially) good idea. In reality, I have never known of any tuber or tooner that has ever had to use one.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Kinda reminds me of the guy who was sprinkling pink sand on the driveway in front of his house. When a neighbor asked what he was doing he replied that he was spreading elephant repellent. When the neighbor reminded him that there were no elephants in the neighborhood to worry about, his response was "See...it works."[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Pat,[/size][/black]
[size 3]I now understand the difference in our outlook on PFD's.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]You swim like a fish, and I have the swimming ability of a large rock. ha ha[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
Have you ever known anyone to be ticketed for NOT having a PFD on board. I have one, but almost always forget it. I have been checked before too while not having it, and the officers didn't even ask.

Just out of curiosity. [cool]
[signature]
Agree with what TD said. With the major point being much safer in a tube that has (here is the key point) -- MORE than 1 air chamber. Having "field tested" the loss of air in an air chamber, I can say that it is nothing more than a minor inconvenience, since the other air chamber will keep you afloat just fine -- you will moving at about 1/4-1/2 speed, but you will still be moving just fine (to shore).

I have been using this for my PFD:

[Image: stearnspg90340.jpg]

fits around my waist and does not get in the way of my fishing jacket.
[signature]
Until they clairified the law my PFD was a throw chusion. I used it as a coffee table while fishing.

I didn't use to carry a PFD (though it is truly a good idea). When I was stopped and that was nearly every trip at DC a few years ago. All I would say is that I was in my PFD. They would lecture me about safety and then leave. But they re-wrote the law and definitions of what a PFD is. Now i carry one always. Like TD I have never had cause to put it on. I can think of several times in the boat of dawning a life jacket because of condiotion. I think is because when you are afloat you use a bit more common sense. Weather starts turning and you kick to shore. The weather is bad and you don't go out.

To answer your question yes i know of someone who recieved a ticket. That would be my son on Jordanelle last year. The wasatch county judge tagged him a healthy 75 bucks for not having it. He always makes sure it is with him now.
[signature]
Thanks TubeDude, and everyone else, for answering my question.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I think that issuing a ticket to a tuber without a PFD is one of those "discretionary" things. The "Barney Fife" officer at Mantua would probably give you a ticket if you had a PFD, but it was dirty. On the other hand, a knowledgeable ranger at Willard would note that you were in a safe craft, with multiple air chambers, and seemed to practice "safe tubing"...and would maybe comment on your lack of a PFD but would not write you for it. That is, unless he was just having a bad day.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have never been written, because I always have one. But, I have known of other tubers who venture forth without them and have not gotten tickets.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I always have one by my side just in case but have never worn it. Also in the pocket of my PFD I carry a whistle and magnesium flint fire starter just in case, because I know if its bad enough for me to put my life jacket on it will most likely get worse.

FF462
[signature]
From the boating days, the law was to have one vest per person on board. Plus a paddle, bail bucket, horn or whistle and a paddle.
I do support 3 out of 4 (no need for the bucket). Like TD said, the chances of the whole tube or toon going flat all at once would be a freak happening.
On stillwater, I always have a vest at reach. On rivers I wear it, but rivers isn't so much about your Vessel sinking, but rather running away from you.

I have seen a gentleman get a ticket at Mantua for no vest...I believe it was like $50. Always thought it was no big deal to take one, even those $10. orange ones count.
[signature]
I generally have mine on. There are times during the day, like when it gets hot, I will take it off. but it is right beside me.
I guess I have that lingering fear of being hit by a boat from behind and not being able to get to it, so I keep it close.
[signature]
Have you seen them new life jacket fishing vest?

they look a lot like regular fishing vest. and I guess they aint so new, they have been around since well before float tubes.

I am not a tuber yet, but when I do become one, you wont catch me out there with out a jacket.

one cant be to careful while out on the water. and every one should concider a life jacket as their own personal life boat.

personaly I think every one should own a life jacket costum fit for thier girth and weight weather they fish or not, weather they own a boat or not.

you never know when you may be invided on a boat and are you realy ready to risk your life on what some one else deems to be enough of a safty net. how about on an ocean trip?

good topic, thanks for bringing it up.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If nothing else, PFDs give peace of mind to newbie tubers or to folks who are just not that good at swimming. Even good swimmers can and should have a healthy respect for the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But...should everybody have a state of the art PFD? Maybe. And maybe they should keep them in their cars too. There are more people die from drowning in auto accidents every year than have ever drowned in tubes or toons. Lots of news stories about vehicles going off the road into the water...or getting swept downstream in a flash flood. Having a PFD in your car...and wearing it all the time...might just save your life someday. You will get some strange looks from the officer who pulls you over for driving wierd, but that's okay. Better to be safe than sane.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
LOL, that reminds me of the comedy bit of some one stepping out of the vw car in wet suit, snorkle and flippers...[laugh] that one always cracks me up...[cool]

You make a valid point, there are more axidental drowings in cars than tubes every year. makes me wonder if car manufactures should be putting life jackets in the car insted of air bags. I know I would feal more safer if they did. [Smile]

would make more sence in my neck of the woods, to get from one side of town to the other you have to pass at least ten lakes with nothing between the lake and the road but a row of reeds....
[signature]
Good to hear a liberal point of view on this subject. Now lets see if we can build the fear enough to get evryone who lives where there might be a flash flood to wear them ...... Just in case. LMAO
[signature]
I was asking about tubing in Illinois waters and asked about that for Wisconsin and only Wisconsin gave me a better answer. He did say about life jackets.....
[blue][size 3]All Wisconsin waters are open for float tube fishing. You are required to have a Personal Flotation Device (life jacket) on the float tube as it is considered a watercraft. I have seen float tubers fish Green Bay for trout and salmon, large lakes for bass and bluegill, and small spring ponds for trout. Its a convenient way to fish Northwoods lakes with remote access. Good luck.[/size][/blue]
[#0000ff][size 3][/size][/#0000ff]
[black]I do have a life jacket but I just don't take it with me as it is not easy to wear it in the old Fishmaster or keep it near......[/black]
When I move up to a better tube then I would get one that would fit easy.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You are right about there not being much space to store a PFD in the Fishmaster. But, as I stated, I have always taken one on just about all of my craft...including the Fishmaster. Here is a pic of TubeBabe from back in the early 80's, fighting a fish from her Fishmaster. Note the orange PFD hanging out of the back pocket? They did not fit all the way inside so we just zipped up what we could inside the pocket and let the rest hang out. Also doubled as a visibility enhancement.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9458;]
[signature]
Man... I just can't see how everyone did it for so long with the donut tubes. I used one for about 2 weeks and gave up on it when I was a kid.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, I fished from a donut most of my tubing career. Only been in "open front" craft for the past few years. Believe me, I do appreciate all of the niceties of the current options.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You know me. I always gotta experiment and mess with things. I came up with the idea of having an open front tube many years ago. Only problem was that when I cut through the front of my round boat, to allow for easier launching and beaching, I couldn't get it to hold air very well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Until the development of vinyl air chambers (and then urethane), float tubes were limited to the shape of inner tubes. But baby look at them now.[/#0000ff]
[signature]